Palekaiko

Black Fruit Blend
Astringent, Candy, Fruity, Ginger, Mango, Sweet, Tannic, Tropical
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

2 Images

From Lupicia

A sweet-tart passion fruit flavored black tea is accented with spicy ginger.

About Lupicia View company

I am a fan of ginger and fruit, so the first try of this was pleasant.

TTB Tea #11:

Another tea I didn’t know what I was getting into when I grabbed it. Couldn’t find it on the website either. Luckily there’s a discription here. I’m not a black tea fan, but I love all the flavors listed so I think I’m good to go.

The bag smells sooo good! The fruit is sweet, there are floral notes, and the ginger bites my nose. Speaking of that ginger- there’s only 1 piece but it’s huge. When I think of “petals”, I think rose… but I just see a couple tiny blue petals.

1 bag (3.71g!)/6oz just below boiling water. The liquor is a medium reddish brown- much lighter than I expected from the leaf/water ratio. The aroma is a bit muted from the raw leaf, but all 3 components are still there.

The flavor is lighter than I expected, but smooth. The passion fruit gives it a sweetness and the ginger isn’t over bearing. Very good.

My first Lupicia tea; this came recommended by a friend. While I don’t usually like a lot of flavored teas, this was certainly a pleasant surprised. The interesting blend is very beautiful in aroma. Right from the bag, I can smell the strong mango and ginger. The brew is very fruity and perfumey. Overall, this is a decent tea in my books.

Ginger always makes me think winter. I know that’s slightly absurd, considering it doesn’t ever dip much below the 60s in Hawaii, but this tea does work quite well in Midwestern US winters. Just saying. It’s warm, dark, spicy, and thoroughly comforting.

Sipdown 91-2021
This is another sample from a previous order. It’s fine. Generically candy type fruity flavor. Maybe a bit of peach?

“An Ode to Tea” Alphabet Challenge – P

Oops, forgot to do my alphabet tea yesterday!

I figured I would continue with my pattern of trying all of my untasted Lupicia Hawaii teas. This one is a passion fruit and ginger black tea, and I like passion fruit enough that I ordered a whole 50g packet for myself during the group order.

I admit, the dry and steeped scents both worried me as the ginger was coming on strong. Luckily, the taste is much more balanced. I do get a strong sense of ginger, but it doesn’t feel too spicy or overwhelming. I will say, the fruit here doesn’t really taste like passion fruit to me? It’s closer to mango IMO, and also a bit generically tropical, like the other Hawaii black teas have been for me. I do like the ginger with it! The base is a bit too tannic though, which is probably a bit augmented by the ginger.

Anyway, it’s tasty enough! But not passion fruit for me, unfortunately…

Oops, forgot to add a haiku!

Not passion fruit but
It’s a mango paradise
Spicy ginger nips

Flavors: Astringent, Candy, Fruity, Ginger, Mango, Sweet, Tannic, Tropical

From the Holiday TTB

Another Hawaiian special from Lupicia. You can SMELL the fruit and the ginger and the dry leaf, but unfortunately that didn’t translate to the steeped liquor. I was hoping it would be a fruity spicy tea, but the taste is much more like a typical breakfast blend. At least there’s little to no astringency, and only a little dryness. It wouldn’t be a bad daily drinker for those into breakfast blends, if you’re into that kind of thing (I’m not, it’s not a thing I crave)… that is if you can get a hold of it.

Need to steep longer then 2 mins though. Just not strong enough to detect much. Even at 4 its still a bit weak. A bit of gingwr here a tad of floral there. According to the interwebs palekaiko means paradise.

I really needed to unwind tonight, so I steeped up a cup of this tea. It’s one of my all-time favorites… A Hawaiian-inspired blend from Lupicia, which my best friend bought for me while she was on vacation there (because she’s awesome like that!). Palekaiko is a flavored black tea, with ginger pieces and passionfruit and chunks of mango. It smells mouth-watering, a nectar-sweet aroma of passionfruit and mango with hints of spicy ginger. The taste is spicier, lots of tongue-tingling ginger (which I love!) mixed with the sweetness of the fruit. I never would have guessed, but passionfruit and mango go really nicely with ginger. The tastes blend together, enhancing each other.

As for the black tea base, it’s on the lighter side, and hard to detect through the other flavors. But I get a citrus-y brightness from it that seems to complements the fruit. No bitterness that I noticed, which is something I appreciate about many of Lupicia’s black teas. All told, this is an excellent flavored tea, where all the ingredients blend together beautifully. (And I’m almost out of it, even though I haven’t had it in my cupboard that long! I will definitely be restocking this one.)

I received this in a swap from hapatite. Thank you!

This was the second of three Hawaii addition teas that hapatite sent me. This was pretty tasty. My biggest complaint is the base. It is a tad on the astringent side for me. I think on the last of the 3 teas I will try a shorter steep time to see if this helps. This seemed like it would have been a great iced tea. It was very fragrant and fruity. It was a nice afternoon cup on this sunny day.