Apple Pieces, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Keemun Black Tea, Cranberry
Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Plunkybug

From Murchie's Tea & Coffee

Murchie’s Sugar Maple Tea has been blended of Ceylon and Keemun black teas, with cranberry and apple pieces to evoke the flavours of the fall harvest, bringing sweet fruity flavours together with rich, black teas..

Celebrate a taste of Canada, savouring the red cranberries and white apple pieces, while imagining the red & white Canadian flag.

About Murchie's Tea & Coffee View company

Since 1894, Murchie’s has been importing and blending the finest quality teas from select gardens around the world. As the decades have passed, the art of tea blending and tradition of excellence are handed down along with the old recipes. Today, Murchie’s offers traditional products and classic blends while also developing new combinations for a new generation of tea drinkers. We are proud to provide blends for events and occasions, from local landmarks to national observations and royal milestones.

Another 2018 tea, and it seems appropriate for the second winter we are having here.

Perhaps age is to fault, but I don’t really taste much (if any?) difference between this tea and Murchie’s “Maple Chai” which I sipped down a few months ago. It is the same Ceylon/Keemun base as “Maple Chai” which I quite enjoy, as the Keemun lends a natural subtle smoky note that compliments the maple nicely. The maple is strong and tasty. But this tea features dried cranberry and apple piece in lieu of the spices found in “Maple Chai,” and they aren’t really adding anything at all. I don’t taste any fruity notes… just a strong and sturdy maple-flavored black tea. There is perhaps a sweeter “honey” like note adding some sweetness to the maple, but nothing that tastes like apples or cranberries.

Without the fruitiness, this tea isn’t as interesting as their “Maple Chai” which at least added warm, accompanying spices. I love the concept of apple, cranberry, and maple together as a flavor combo, but it just isn’t happening here. However, because I like the base tea of both this tea and “Maple Chai” much more than the CTC base of Murchie’s “Canadian Breakfast,” I’d take either of these over that one for a hearty maple black tea.

Flavors: Honey, Malt, Maple, Smoke

The smell of this tea is so enticing. I wish I could smell it every second of the day.
While brewing, the tea fills the room with a sweet maple scent that is so inviting. The brewed tea is very black tea forward and the maple scent is gone from the tea. I get a slight maple note at the back end but its all black tea forward.
I have yet to try it with milk. Maybe that will bring out other flavors from the tea?

3 min, 45 sec 1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Lovely flavors that complement very well with each other. Nice aroma when the tea is steeping.

Flavors: Cinnamon, Cranberry, Maple

My kitchen/dining room area smells so good right now, as I sit at my computer, waiting for this tea to finish steeping… it’s like maple swirl bread is waiting for me to eat it, all warm and steamy, pat of butter and all.
Ok, it’s done steeping, so on to the actual drinking…
Oh, is this just down right lovely… The maple is fantastic, and I’m feeling almost a warm, natural cinnamon thing going on, but that could just be in my head…
The base works really well with this flavouring, too…no notes fighting each other, just all working really well together.
I like this a lot! Thanks so much, Plunkybug for sending me this to try! :D

Plunkybug

Did you get any raisin notes from it? Just curious. I’m glad you like it. If you ever want more, I can easily get it. Murchies is just down the street from where I live…about a 15 minute walk.

The aroma of this tea is like a shark’s merciless jaws. The diamond sharp teeth sink in and linger, linger, linger.. until you realize that everything in your near vicinity, you included, has been irreversibly transformed by unrelenting maple daggers. There is no escape.

Besides maple sugar shark maws, this tea has some interesting surprises which at first made me weary. Apple and cranberry pieces are an understandable choice aesthetically (white & red: the blood of angry men, on black). In practice, it reminds me of David’s festive Cranberry Pear, except with the full-bodied effects of pure maple syrup rage.

I enjoy this tea, but it’s one of those instances where I bow out and use the white flag (yay, milk).

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Cranberry, Maple Syrup

gmathis

Love your description!

ashmanra

Hubby used to hate it when the kids had waffles before church because there was no way to get the smell of maple syrup off them! I don’t mind it as much so it never bothered me on school days. No more weekend waffles!

I bought a lot of tea again yesterday, Tea Frens. #whoops Right now I’m sniffing Murchie’s Sugar Maple. WHOA it smells so amazing. It’s kinda weird though because there are apple bits and… dried cherries? Or raisins? I’m not entirely sure. Mmm, it is pretty tasty though. I wouldn’t say exactly how it smells, but it’s nice.

And they’re dried cranberries. SO WEIRD, MURCHIE’S! So weird.

Fjellrev

Haha I thought it was odd too, and ended up passing on it. But it totally does smell amazing!

OMGsrsly

It tastes good though!

TeaBrat

I liked Murchie’s when I was in Victoria…

OMGsrsly

I pretty much only shop at the Victoria store. I don’t find that the service, selection, and general environment are as good at the tiny Vancouver stores. :)