Grand Himalaya

Edit tea info Last updated by gmathis

• “Back to work tomorrow. If I hadn’t felt so lousy, the past several days would’ve seemed like a mini-vacation: feet up, rocking chair, crocheting, binge watches (That Girl and Moonlighting),...” Read full tasting note
  • “Strange VariaTEA TTB: Tea #8 I was a little intrigued by this one so I figured I’d give it a whirl, but sadly I found this flavour pretty muted – more of a floral black with malted elements and a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This is the second tea in today’s tournament style sipdown challenge pairing. It went head to head with another single-estate Palais des Thes tea, Genmaicha Yama. Check out the note for that here:...” Read full tasting note

From Palais des Thés

Description
A blend of the best teas from the spring flush, this black tea is bursting with rich flavours: green almond, Muscat grapes, and grassy notes.

Tasting notes

Dry leaves
Colours: very varied: green, coppery, brown
Scents: notes of stewed and fresh fruit accompanied by floral notes, with an underlying toasted aroma
Infusion
Colours: green and coppery
Scents: woody, honey, fruity notes with a few spicy notes, all combined with fresher, more planty notes
Liquor
Colour: green and gleaming
Flavours: slight acidity and bitterness which gives this tea its long-lasting qualities
Aromatic profile and length in the mouth: a tea that develops as it lingers, well sustained by the astringency of the woody, vanilla notes and a few planty notes

About Palais des Thés View company

Back to work tomorrow. If I hadn’t felt so lousy, the past several days would’ve seemed like a mini-vacation: feet up, rocking chair, crocheting, binge watches (That Girl and Moonlighting), finished a couple books…and finally, enough going on in the tastebud regions to enjoy a good cuppa this afternoon.

I wouldn’t have pegged this as a Darjeeling had I not read up on it first. The leaves were a nice melange of brown and green, and it steeped to the color of a new penny. One of my office favorites is a Tetley’s black and green blend—this reminds me of a fresher, more elegant version. The Palais des Thes description mentions “planty notes,” which come across nicely in the flavor and “floral notes,” which are more evident in the scent.

AJRimmer

Finished a couple books? That’s impressive! I read every day, but I’m a super slow reader, so I only finish 1-2 a month. Ha, teach me your tricks!

gmathis

Clarification: finished a couple that I had been milking day by day and bubble bath by bubble bath for weeks :) Nothing from scratch! One of them was from the Irish Country Series from Patrick Taylor, if you like gentle reads. Think All Creatures Great and Small with a saltier, feistier people doctor.

Michelle

I’m always adding to my reading list, but rarely seem to finish books these days. I do like the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency series by Alexander McCall Smith for a nice easy read.

gmathis

Seconded! I’m a few behind, I think—last title I read was The House of Unexpected Sisters. I am amazed at his prolific-icity. Another one that’s on my stack for a re-read isn’t part of a series: La’s Orchestra Saves the World.

Strange VariaTEA TTB: Tea #8

I was a little intrigued by this one so I figured I’d give it a whirl, but sadly I found this flavour pretty muted – more of a floral black with malted elements and a touch of muscatel flavour as well but all of those qualities in very flat and unrefined ways. I anticipate that this is one of those teas that, a few months from now, I probably wont even remember having tried…

You always remember the “great” and the “ghastly” when it comes to tea, but the things that fall in the middle?? Nope.

This is the second tea in today’s tournament style sipdown challenge pairing. It went head to head with another single-estate Palais des Thes tea, Genmaicha Yama. Check out the note for that here: https://steepster.com/rachel12610/posts/415972

Normally black teas trump green teas for me. That said, I do enjoy genmaicha quite a bit so I didn’t think this would be such an easy defeat for this black tea. Drinking it now, I am surprised that my preference is actually for the genmaicha.

While this may be a black tea, its not the type of black tea I usually go for. I like smooth, malty, bready, dessert-like black teas and this is not that. Instead, this is more brisk and a touch astringent. It’s got the floral quality of a darjeeling (I looked it up and it is a darjeeling) that might be nice for many but to me always reads drying. So this was a miss for me and thus Genmaicha Yama is moving on!

Check out a picture of the teas here: https://www.instagram.com/p/CMA1JvPgOwi/?igshid=17oukytf2p49j