Moonlight Beauty Raw Pu-erh Loose Tea

White Tea Leaves
Apricot, Cucumber, Fruity, Stonefruits, Creamy, Floral, Honey, Pine, Wet Earth
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “I purchased a sample myself when I last ordered. The leaf amount in the packet ended up being 5.1g rather than a rounded 5. I prepared this is a 120ml gaiwan. Gave it a flash rinse to wake up the...” Read full tasting note
  • “This pu-erh is similar to a white tea and is light amber in color. This tea has a light and sweet quality to it with flavors of cucumber and apricot. It is a very interesting tea.” Read full tasting note
  • “Another sample from Angel at Teavivre! Thank you! I should preface this by saying this is my first white puerh ever! This is an all new experience for me. The tea itself is gorgeous — long, perfect...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you Angel from Teavivre for sending me this sample. When I had first saw this, I expected to see a different type of leaf. Then again, I am not very experienced with pu-erh tea. The leaves...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Original Place: Bulang Mountain, Menghai, Xishuangbanna, Yunnan Tea type:Pu-erh tea, raw pu-erh tea

Picking standard:One single bud Dry tea: Buds are fat, bold and covered with light, moonlight (silvery) fuzz.

Aroma:Unique rich aged aroma Liquid:Light yellow, clear Mouthfeel:Sweet, thirst quenching, long-lasting sweet mouthfeel

Species:Menghai large-leaf tree Tea Garden:Meng Gu (勐谷) tea garden

The taste of this tea is not as intense (strong) as raw pu-erh tea. Moonlight beauty tea is suitable for women or those tea lovers who prefer fresh, soft and smooth taste.

About Teavivre View company

I purchased a sample myself when I last ordered. The leaf amount in the packet ended up being 5.1g rather than a rounded 5. I prepared this is a 120ml gaiwan. Gave it a flash rinse to wake up the leaves. I followed the infusion times on Teavivre’s website: 60 seconds, 65, 70, 60, 65, 70, 80, 90, 120.

A Moonlight White with only buds is certainly pretty! It looks like Silver Needles. This is only me second Moonlight White, and I totally taken aback by the dry leaf aroma since it’s incredible different from my first. It smells like a cooking herbs mix and tomato sauce, which is what I sometimes get with Dianhong. But once the leaves are washed and steeped, the wet leaf aroma is what I remembered: blueberries and cream oatmeal, very fragrantly fruity, barely sour. Aaaaaaah.

The liquor – also notably fragrant – is pale yellow, medium-bodied, and clean. This takes a bit to warm up, but from the third infusion onward, it tastes much like the wet leaf aroma: sweet and blueberry-like. The texture is thick and silky.

I didn’t quite like this Moonlight White as much as the first (that one was more powerful), though this is good quality and I enjoyed drinking the more flavorful infusions. I love tasting fruits in unflavored teas as opposed to fruit-flavored teas – they’re so much more like the real McCoy. Surprises my brain every time (“Wow this is really happening???”) Moonlight Beauty is no exception to this. And I have to note again that the liquor is so fragrant that even my cups smells after I finish drinking! I don’t get that much from non-oolongs. I recommend it for those who are interested in trying it for themselves.

200 °F / 93 °C

Flavors: Apricot, Cucumber

195 °F / 90 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

The tea itself is gorgeous — long, perfect silver leaves. They’re fuzzy and remind me of the antennae of the giant moths we see here in the summer. <3 The aroma is very sweet and stone-fruity. It doesn’t really smell like puerh at all! Just apricots and spring-like perfume. There is no mustiness or iodine smell like I’m used to with puerh. (The things I sometimes find off-putting.)

The tea brews up to a very light tan. The flavor is mild and clean, not musty. If anything, the aging process of this puerh removed any sharpness that might have been there. I get delightful notes of apricot, maybe peaches. Very fruity and smooth. Mellow and understated, but lovely. There is a distinct note of “puerh” in the scent of the tea before I sip, but nothing like that in the taste. This is truly unique (to my experience) and elegant. I highly recommend it.

Flavors: Apricot, Fruity, Stonefruits

Thank you Angel from Teavivre for sending me this sample. When I had first saw this, I expected to see a different type of leaf. Then again, I am not very experienced with pu-erh tea. The leaves were silvery-pale green and fuzzy. It looks like white tea. The smell is very faint. The steeped liquid is a pale gold color and a slightly floral scent. The first sample of this I brewed it western style. The second sample, I used a small gaiwan. The flavors are different. I did enjoy the western style flavor better. Maybe because it muted the flavors a bit and was less astringent.

Thanks, Teavivre! I chose this one as the free sample with my last order. The sickle shaped leaves are fuzzy and white! Though this one is described by Teavivre as a raw pu-erh, I usually see these types of tea labeled as white tea, especially when they are also called ‘Moonlight’. I’ve really enjoyed these types of teas in the past. The scent to the dry leaves is very sweet and unique. Teavivre suggests I use 5 grams for the Western style, but I went with half a sample (about 2.5 grams). After brewing, I was slightly worried that more than 30 seconds would have ruined this raw pu-erh (I definitely don’t like to steep my raw pu-erh more than 30 seconds at a time), but the flavor is perfect the way I steeped it. The resulting brew is very light and sweet and almost difficult to describe otherwise. It’s not really lemony or creamy like some of these types of teas can be. The best description might be light honey and hay. The first and second steeps taste like a white tea, but the third tastes more like a sheng pu-erh. So I think less of a steep time will make it taste like white, more of a steep time will make it taste like raw pu-erh. I like this, but it seems like it’s in between a white tea and a raw pu-erh and I’d rather pick those if I’m craving them.
Steep #1 // about 2.5 grams for a full mug// 18 minutes after boiling // rinse // 1 minute steep
Steep #2 // 8 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #3 // 8 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep
Harvest: April 2015

Thank you Angel from Teavivre for sending me this sample to try.

I love the name of this tea, Moonlight Beauty sounds so pure and happy. The website says that though this tea is a raw Pu-Erh it is also similar to a white tea due to the processing of the leaves. You can see the similarity when you inspect the leaves.

In appearance the leaves are long and fairly thin with lots of downy hairs. They are a very pale green, almost white colour and they bare a soft, fresh scent of grass and pepper. Enough to smell like a Pu-Erh but living up to it’s subtle nature. The leaves are also crisp to the touch and could easily be broken into small pieces with fingers.

I will be using 5g of leaf in a 220ml teapot with boiling water.

First Steep – 1 minute

After the first steep the leaves now smell malty and wooden, a real contrast to their dry form. The tea also shares hints of wood and malt, with pepper and sweet pine. The liquid is very light yellow.

In flavour this is more subtle than it smells. The first thing I notice is the smoothness of a fresh pine and sweet peony notes. The after taste is dry and slightly nutty. It actually reminds me of a Bai Mu Dan white tea in flavour.

Second Steep – 2 minutes

More peony and slightly sweeter than the previous steep, though just as mild. More drying in the after taste too. It tastes like spring rain drops that have landed onto flower petals, that imagery is in my mind every time I sip.

Third Steep – 3 minutes

Slightly sour during this steep but with a creamy finish and just as much peony. It has to be said that the dryness is somewhat spoiling it’s subtle elegance.

Overall – I am not a fan of white tea usually and that is exactly what this tea reminds me of. It’s not very Pu-Erh like except for the peppery, wood notes in the leaves once you start to infuse it. That being said it was still a pleasant and non offensive tea. I don’t think I could drink it all the time though, it’s just too mild for my personal taste. I imagine it’s great to keep hydrated with on hot summer days though. I also imagine that the mild nature of this tea would make it rather forgiving should you over steep it. Essentially it remained very similar throughout all three steeps.

Leaves are fragrant of sweet hay, honey and spice. Brews a clear golden yellow – amber.
Tastes smooth, mild, sweet and slightly spicy floral. Pleasant soft/slippery mouthfeel.
Very enjoyable and easy to drink. Re-steeps many times.
5g, 110ml, 185F, 60 sec
Thank you for sending this, Angel!

185 °F / 85 °C 1 min, 0 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 110 ML

The dry leaves are big, attractive silver needle buds. The aroma is oceanic, pine, and just slightly floral.

The first brew is very mellow and soft. Slight honey and pine notes with a floral background. Slightly earthy and dank like wet leaves and rich soil. This is a very mild tea, I attempted to overbrew it and bring out bitterness and found that I could not.

Flavors: Creamy, Floral, Honey, Pine, Wet Earth

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

Yesterday was Ben’s birthday, we celebrated in a nerdy fashion, we played with our miniatures all day. He worked on some of his Malifaux assembly and modification and I worked on putting together my Age of Sigmar box, (I said I would eventually fall into Warhammer and it happened, totally Ben’s fault) It feels so good to be painting again! Working on two separate game armies, random miniatures, presents for friends, and Ben’s armies, my paint table runneth over and it pleases me, maybe I will have all my current projects finished by the time my Reaper kickstarter arrives in October, but I doubt it!

Today I am continueing my look at some of Teavivre’s teas, with a long time favorite tea style of both Ben and me, a moonlight! Moonlight Beauty Raw Pu-erh Loose Tea is a lovely pile of silvery buds that could pass for a Baihao Yinzhen, but this is from Xishuangbanna in Yunnan, and while it is similar in production to white tea, it is technically a Puerh. Of course the real difference is in aroma and taste, and the aroma of these fuzzy leaves is grand. Notes of hay and honey blend with savory (the herb rather than the descriptor) sage, tomato leaves (moonlight always smells vaguely like tomato leaves and I have no idea why) and a finish of pollen and wildflowers. It is mellow but very distinct and sweet with herbaceous qualities.

I got to use my big engagement gaiwan for this session since I was sharing with Ben, the aroma of the not so fuzzy leaves blends sweet and savory notes pretty well, with pollen, hay, and honey on the sweet side and lettuce, sage, and tomato leaves on the more savory side. The liquid however is all sweetness, with notes of wildflowers, hay, honey, and pollen. It has a distinct summery quality, like being in a field when all the flowers are in bloom.

For a tea called moonlight, I have always thought it looks like a cup of sunlight. It kinda tastes like sunlight, mixing smooth honey and pollen with lettuce and sage, and a finish of hay. It has a wildflower aftertaste that lingers for some time, it reminds me of a field again, which is great.

Onward to the second steep without delay, the aroma has taken a creamy note, like creamy raw honey with definite wildflower and pollen notes and a finish of hay and lettuce. The taste does not change much from steep to steep, it stays strong with notes of honey and hay with the lingering wildflower notes that do not quit. Of course the best part of this tea is its staying power, it just goes for a while, I think I got eight steeps before it started fading away.

For blog and Photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2016/04/teavivre-moonlight-beauty-raw-pu-erh.html