Huo Shan Huang Ya Yellow Tea

Yellow Tea
Yellow Tea Leaves
Grass, Sweet Potatoes, Floral, Flowers, Honey, Hay, Smooth, Sweet, Dry Grass, Fruity, Garden Peas, Tannin, Tea, Thick, Vegetal, White Grapes, Bok Choy, Butter, Nutty, Soybean, Spinach, Vegetable Broth, Vegetables, Green Bell Peppers, Apple, Astringent, Carrot, Corn Husk, Pear, Peas
Low
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaVivre

• “OK – yellow tea. Has to be a gimmick, right? So elusive and mysterious…hidden long-lost recipes and all that… Well, I was still excited to see what the hype was all about. First, it is not a...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thank you, Teavivre, for this sample! I don’t think I ever tried a yellow tea before. I anticipated that it would have characteristics similar to green tea since it was on the lighter side of the...” Read full tasting note
  • “We made two pots Western style last night to go with Asian take-out. The dry leaves had such a fresh, powerful aroma. I love the promise that it is easier on the stomach as mine gets angry...” Read full tasting note
  • “Yay for new tea!! A huge thank you to Angel at Teavivre for this sample! I don’t think I have ever tried a yellow tea so this is exciting! Hopefully I’m not up all night from having caffeine so...” Read full tasting note

From Teavivre

Growing Area:Taiyang Village, Huo Shan County, Liu’an City, Anhui Province

Standard of plucking:One bud with one leaf, or one bud with two unopened leaves.

Dry tea:Straight strip with slightly spread out leaves, covered with abundant white tips, deep green with slight yellowing color.

Aroma:Chestnut, slight floral

Color of liquor:Bright and clear, light yellow color

Taste:The first infusion is sweet and mellow, smooth and thick, from second infusion the taste gradually becomes fresh and brisk like green tea.

Caffeine:Low caffeine (less than 10% of a cup of coffee)

With taste of both sweet mellow of Yellow Tea and fresh brisk of green tea, Huo Shan Huang Ya is a good choice for Yellow Tea lovers, women, and Green Tea lovers.

About Teavivre View company

Well, I was still excited to see what the hype was all about.

First, it is not a gimmick. This thing is crazy good. Imagine a vegetal and sweet, nutty bi luo chun crossed with sweet floral Anxi green oolong. Oh, and some sweet grass and fruit flavors of Xinyang Mao Jian. There was incredible complexity to the tea – from the dry leaf scent all the way through the experience in-mouth.

The flavors are strong, but complementary – switching from nutty to sweet, vegetal to floral. Incredibly dynamic. The mouthfeel is thick and unctuous. The aftertaste is expansive and long-lasting.

This is an excellent tea, and the price is great for the quality of the tea. Highly recommended for green tea lovers especially.
Dry leaf – sweet corn (like Bi Luo Chun), creamy fragrant floral (like Anxi oolong), popcorn, speculoos, orange flower. In preheated vessel – candied pecans, praline, sweetcorn, tomato vine, sweet grass

Smell – sweet corn, sweet grass, tomato vine

Taste – arrival of sweet vegetal – sweet corn, green oolong leafiness, sweet grass. Development of complex but muted sweetness (marshmallow, graham cracker) and fragrant floral. Finish of sweet floral – orchid, orange flower, rose. Aftertaste of sweet floral, candied pecan, coconut, with hints of orange soda and red fruit/raspberry.

tanluwils

Noted! I will have to get me hands on this stuff…

Thank you, Teavivre, for this sample! I don’t think I ever tried a yellow tea before. I anticipated that it would have characteristics similar to green tea since it was on the lighter side of the color spectrum.

When I opened the silver sample package, long green tea leaves greeted me from inside. The aroma of the unbrewed leaves was grassy and, yes, similar to the grassy smell of green tea.

I brewed the leaves at approximately 185 degrees (I had to estimate using the office microwave machine to heat the water) for eight minutes as recommended on the package. The steeped color was light yellow. The odor was again definitely like that of green tea.

The flavor of this tea was surprisingly full-bodied, distinct, and satisfying. Yes, the taste was similar to green tea, but this yellow tea had its own flavor signature as well. The taste was a bit grassy like green varieties but there was also a blended sweet potato attribute that lay comfortably on my palate. As is common with Teavivre teas, it was extremely smooth without a glimmer of astringency. The aftertaste was light and airy and it quickly dissipated.

I didn’t expect to like yellow tea too much since I almost exclusively favor the robust, high octane, black teas. However, I REALLY enjoyed this one…A LOT! I don’t have a long list of preferred afternoon and evening teas yet but this offering is definitely high up on it!

Flavors: Grass, Sweet Potatoes

185 °F / 85 °C 8 min or more 16 OZ / 473 ML

We made two pots Western style last night to go with Asian take-out. The dry leaves had such a fresh, powerful aroma. I love the promise that it is easier on the stomach as mine gets angry easily.

The tea is pale, clear yellow and very sweet and creamy tasting. It was served to a large gathering and everyone enjoyed it. There was no sour taste and no bitterness. This will probably be one of my go-to recommendations for people wanting easy to drink tea.

Yay for new tea!! A huge thank you to Angel at Teavivre for this sample! I don’t think I have ever tried a yellow tea so this is exciting! Hopefully I’m not up all night from having caffeine so late haha.

The smell of this tea is delicious! Very similar to a dragonwell green I’ve had, bit with a toasty and slightly sweet almond note. Smells so Good! I steeped probably 1/3 of the packet in 185 degree water for my mug for 2 mins. I also made the fiance a mug right afterwards with another 2 min steeping. The steeped liquor is a very pale yellow, and smells very deliciously like dragonwell again but with a strong buttery note.

As for the flavor, wow this is good!! Very much like sweet, crisp corn on the cob, with corn silk and a buttery, slightly toasty note. It’s like a green tea in the first taste, then it morphs into the nutty corn flavor. So much butter! And a sweet note of crisp sugared corn creeps in at the back of my throat after a while. So satisfying!

Overall, I am very impressed with this tea, my first yellow tea. Buttery, silky corn, it truly reminds me of harvest days in the autumn, the sun shining down on corn silk, cobs bursting and ready to be harvested. So yummy and warming on this chilly spring evening. Once again thank you Teavivre for the opportunity to try such a unique tea!

tea-sipper

MMMM… I’m sipping this one now and your note made it even better. :D

MissLena

@tea-sipper – Glad it helped! It is a very tasty tea :)

One of the samples from my Black Friday sampler pack. I’m still working through this thing four months later, but there’s only a few left now!

This tea comes in pretty looking needles and smells of corn or wheat or some kind of comfortable grain. The first steep comes out smooth and clear and smells buttery sweet. It somewhat reminds me of a Jin Xuan with its buttery and floral upfront notes. There’s a hint of bitterness, but definitely quite mellow.

Overall, quite an enjoyable green tea.

5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Once again a tea that I was very excited to try. I guess that is what happens when you choose what samples to buy! One of my first prolonged experiences with yellow tea, and I was not disappointed. Very much worth the cost, which is definitely not within the everyday drinking price range.

The dry leaf was full of long, whole pieces that were a medium green in color. The aroma of these leaves was sweet and floral, very much like a silver needle. The aroma was quite strong and full. After the initial steeping, the leaves let go more of this wonderful aroma.

The liquor was a beautiful deep golden yellow. A dark gold that I have never seen before in tea. The aroma of this liquor was light and hard to decipher, albeit very pleasant.

The taste of the liquor was stunning. Floral, sweet, with zero astringency. Stronger than a silver needle, but lighter, fresher, and sweeter than green tea with a slight honey aftertaste.

Overall I would place this tea in the same category as silver needle (albeit a much different tea). It is delicate, exquisite, yet expensive. A tea to be enjoyed for special occasions when you desire something special.

Ratings (from 0-10)

8 – Dry Leaf Appearance
9 – Dry Leaf Smell
7 – Wet Leaf Appearance
8 – Wet Leaf Smell
9 – Liquor Appearance
8 – Aroma
9 – Taste
8 – Value (Is this taste, aroma, and overall experience worth the cost.)

= 84

0.5 – Wet Leaf Smell
0.5 – Liquor Appearance
3.5 – Aroma
3.5 – Taste
0.5 – Value (Is this taste, aroma, and overall experience worth the cost.)

Flavors: Floral, Flowers, Honey

175 °F / 79 °C 0 min, 30 sec 5 g 5 OZ / 160 ML

Ooo, this is lovely! Reminds me of Mandala’s Yellow Buds which I tried a while back and really enjoyed. It brews up to a pale yellowish green color with a scent like freshly mown hay. The flavor is light, smooth and sweet with notes of hay and corn. (That tastes better than it sounds, I promise!) I would definitely consider re-purchasing this one when my sample runs out.

Flavors: Hay, Smooth, Sweet

2000 tasting notes

It has the sweetness and nutty flavour of of edamame/soy beans, but also is very vegetal (bok choy, steamed buttery spinach).

Flavors: Bok Choy, Butter, Nutty, Soybean, Spinach, Vegetable Broth, Vegetables, Vegetal

Boiling 4 min, 45 sec 2 tsp 24 OZ / 700 ML

This tea is yellowish green with a vegetal aroma. It is light and sweet with flavors of edamame and green bell pepper.

Flavors: Green Bell Peppers, Soybean

185 °F / 85 °C 5 g 5 OZ / 147 ML

A yellow tea offered from Teavivre! I’m not sure why this specifically is a yellow tea, as it very much shares many elements of Teavivre’s awesome green teas. The dry leaves are equally scented sweet and nutty. I suppose the leaves do look more yellow in color than most green teas, but the flavor is much the same: very mild and light, sweet, and nutty. Fresh, fragrant, and delicious. As usual, an exceptional cup of tea from Teavivre but I think some of their green teas are more to my tastes because of their stronger flavor. But if you’re looking for light flavor, give this one a try.
Steep #1 // half sample for a full mug// 32 minutes after boiling // 2 minute steep
Steep #2 // 25 minutes after boiling // 3 minute steep