Imperial Gold Needle

Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Spices, Sweet, Black Pepper, Citrus, Mineral, Mushrooms, Nutmeg, Orange, Rose
Edit tea info Last updated by Kawaii433
Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 oz / 236 ml

• “Thank you Derk for this good couple cups of tea :D Busy day yesterday and I got to try this and it was a really good brew. Not going to go into it, Derk has a good review on it. I had oversteeped...” Read full tasting note
  • “Finished up my bag of this. I found that it does do well in a gaiwan but I prefer the Gold Needles brewed western using Brenden’s parameters of 1/2T (~2g?), 8oz, 212F, 3/5m. Dry leaf smells like...” Read full tasting note
  • “Brewed this at 212F in a 100 ml gaiwan. First two infusions tasted like straight up mushroom tea. By the third infusion, the mushroom note was blending with a simple, smooth black tea. Fourth...” Read full tasting note

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Imperial Gold Needle is a truly remarkable pure-bud black tea with more of a grounded, earthy feel than our Imperial Gold Buds. The dry leaf aroma is rich with notes of honey and cocoa nibs. The wet leaf explodes with a sweetness that reminds us of chocolate-covered strawberries! The mouthfeel is super smooth and without bitterness, and the taste is cocoa nibs, honey and summer forests. Some mushroom notes and spices mingle through every once in a while, lending depth of a very satisfying tea experience.

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

Thank you Derk for this good couple cups of tea :D

Busy day yesterday and I got to try this and it was a really good brew. Not going to go into it, Derk has a good review on it. I had oversteeped it both times. I had meant to follow Derk’s exact directions o.O but got involved in work… However, even with my horrible attention span, it was still delicious. :D

Flavors: Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Spices, Sweet

Dry leaf smells like clean forest air with additional notes of citrus, pepper and malt. After the first steep, the aroma coming from the wet leaf has malt, cocoa, rose, honey and soft orange. The steam wafting from the cup is similar to the dry leaf, not quite as deep as the wet leaf.

The tea is very clean and light-bodied with very little astringency and no bitterness. Tastes of citrus, malt, mineral, fresh mushroom, cocoa, light honey and hints of black pepper and nutmeg swirl around the mouth as a smooth, well rounded brew with a clean finish. Tasty with a piece of bittersweet chocolate.

Flavors: Black Pepper, Citrus, Cocoa, Honey, Malt, Mineral, Mushrooms, Nutmeg, Orange, Rose

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

Brewed this at 212F in a 100 ml gaiwan. First two infusions tasted like straight up mushroom tea. By the third infusion, the mushroom note was blending with a simple, smooth black tea. Fourth infusion was bland and mediocre, despite brewing time of 1:30. I’m not a fan of mushrooms, so this gets a thumbs down from me.