2006 Yang Qing Hao QiXiang "Gu Shu Cha Wang" Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Black Currant, Camphor, Fruity, Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Wood, Bitter, Hay, Tobacco
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 oz / 80 ml

5 Images

• “This sample is from last year’s Pubertea group buy – apparently there was also some in this year’s, so I will have a bit more of it to drink later! This tea looks pretty nice. Dark and obviously...” Read full tasting note
  • “Leaf before: not too tight, not too loose. Roughly in the middle as far as compression goes. The rinse brings forth the old basement aroma that comes off the leaf telling me that it may need...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea is in my opinion quite good. It ought to be for what it cost. It started out with what I would describe as notes of hay and tobacco. This lasted maybe two steeps and another taste emerged....” Read full tasting note

From Yang Qing Hao

2006 Yang Qing Hao QiXiang “Gushu Cha Wang” (Hsiang Cha Wang) Raw 500g
Premium Six Mountain Gushu spring blend sheng.
“Cha Wang”(茶王) translates literally as “King Of Tea”.
The blue seal on the wrapper indicating “Chi Shian”, means “a wondrous fragrance”.

This Gu Shu cake was reported as being made of a blending of premium sun-dried leaves from old plantations on the six famous mountains, and contains 100% gushu with at least 30% of leaves from YiWu mountain trees.

About Yang Qing Hao View company

This sample is from last year’s Pubertea group buy – apparently there was also some in this year’s, so I will have a bit more of it to drink later! This tea looks pretty nice. Dark and obviously aged. The dry leaf had a slightly sweet, leathery and woody aroma. After a rinse, I first picked up a bit of camphor, followed by a sweet, ever so slightly musty woody aroma which reminded me of a clean antique store. There was also a slight fruity note to the aroma, like a dark currant or berry note. Not super sweet.

The flavor starts off sweet and woody, with a thick texture. In the first steep or two, I did get a bit of sharpness to the flavor which was not entirely good, but that was out of the tea quickly enough. It never really shows up distinctly in the flavor, but I pick up a bit of a coffee aroma from the liquor of the tea on occasion.

As the tea moved past the slightly sour (though still pleasant) first couple steeps, it really came into its own. Earthy, thick, woody, and sweet. There was a lightly camphorous, cooling mouthfeel after I swallowed. The woodiness came out more distinctly as I continued to steep it out, presenting a really nicely clean woody flavor for the bulk of the session.

Around steep nine or so, I noticed some fruity flavor popping up – the dark fruity (currant?) note I smelled in the aroma off the leaves at the beginning of the session.

I did notice a bit of a calming qi while drinking this tea, mostly in the upper chest/shoulders. It’s not a qi powerhouse. Flavor and texture are very nice. I’m glad I have some of this tea! The tea can be had for $0.52/g, so in terms of the more typical 200g size from artisan tea producers, that comes out to $104. Based on these two sessions, I would probably not buy this tea at the price it commands.

Flavors: Black Currant, Camphor, Fruity, Leather, Smooth, Sweet, Thick, Wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
tanluwils

This sounds like an interesting tea that I would enjoy, but I am glad you pointed out the tea’s value per gram. I think the steep rise in puer prices makes it increasingly difficult to justify purchasing a whole cake from famous/popular boutique vendors.

Matu

Indeed – not to mention the fact that YQH cakes are gigantic, so are an even larger investment unless you split with somebody.

tanluwils

I’ve never tried YQH. I only know people get their cakes via a guy names Emmet (correct?). Does he provide samples?

Dr Jim

He doesn’t but Liquid Proust sells them on his site.

tanluwils

Did not know that, as I don’t normally seek out famous mid-aged teas. I wanted to at least try a sample, so thanks!

The rinse brings forth the old basement aroma that comes off the leaf telling me that it may need another way up call so I leave it alone for four minutes. The liquid is lighter than expected upon the first brew, light caramel color. Aroma from the liquid is much easier than that of the leaf which makes it more appealing to bring towards the mouth. Thin, semi light of a taste with a little throat feel that comes with the side of the tongue. Leaf might just need a bit more awaking.
Went through a good four steeps while packing up the Pubetea packages and realized that this is the type of tea you drink and then wait a good four minutes to really taste it. This tea has a nice pear skin with autumn leaf lasting taste. Kind of dry, semi tart with some sweetness. The tart seems to come from the little bitterness this tea has which I detect easily due to having a sensitive mouth which gives this room to still become a mature tea so it fits in the puberty theme quite well actually.
Only on steep eight after two hours which tells me that this is a tea that not only last, but it’s taste is one you don’t just sip down quick so it does last in different ways. I’m not sure how it will change over time since that’s not a thing I have looked into or experimented with yet, but to compare it with others… it is a step behind the 2004 Dingji Yesheng. That tea was just fantastic. While this is dry sweet like a pear and nice mouth coating for taste that is about 5 to 10 minutes, I’m just not sure about the purchase or not. However the one thing to note about purchasing this cake is that it is 490 to 500 grams of tea rather than 340 to 357 when you want to price it out per gram. It’s certainly a fair priced one compared to other options out there right now when you are doing price comparisons. I do have enough for a second session so I will follow up and add anything after I hit the 15th steep tomorrow since I plan to make this a two day tea.

Liquid Proust

Using the same leaf at 6 infusions at a time. Second session was after dinner last night while I ate icecream; it worked. Today I ate spicy food and this didn’t have a taste… my fault. Now it’s in the afternoon and I’m on about the 20th steep because lunch today was short. There’s not a sweetness that a young pu’erh has even if it is in the background. The old taste is pretty much gone and the viscosity is still the same as if it isn’t going anywhere. Not the best steeps as it’s a bit weaker, but it’s much easier to enjoy for someone who prefers the younger aspect of puuerh and not the older. Still going semi strong depending on who is to drink it though.

This tea is in my opinion quite good. It ought to be for what it cost. It started out with what I would describe as notes of hay and tobacco. This lasted maybe two steeps and another taste emerged. It became quite smooth and in its own way quite sweet. Not mind you the apricot sweetness of a young sheng but something I am not sure I have tasted before, a sweetness with an aged flavor. It did not develop any of what I call unpleasant aged flavor that I have tasted in many ten year old sheng. There was no taste of wet storage. This tea must have been stored quite cleanly for it did not seem to develop any storage taste. As to qi, I am really feeling it. I am energized after fifteen steeps in my small 60ml gaiwan. I will most likely save the leaves and continue tomorrow because the leaves are not done and this was expensive. This tea rates a 100% for it’s qi and a 90% for its taste. I have enjoyed this immensely.

I steeped this tea 15 times in a 60ml gaiwan with 4.4g leaf and boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse and a 10 minute rest. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, 2 min, 2.5 min, 3 min, and 3.5 min. I would guess that there are five or six steeps at least left in this tea but maybe even ten steeps. This is also the first tea I have drank where I know the claims of gushu can be truly backed up. While some of the other teas I have drank that claim to be gushu certainly were, some of them certainly weren’t. This I don’t doubt was gushu.

Flavors: Bitter, Hay, Sweet, Tobacco