2005 Yang Qing Hao "Yiwu Cha Wang Gushu" Raw

Pu-erh Tea
Leather, Thick, Cream, Dark Wood, Decayed wood, Nectar, Pleasantly Sour, Smoke, Tobacco, Vanilla
Edit tea info Last updated by DigniTea

3 Images

• “YQH teas are not inexpensive; however, this tea is a relatively modest cost of $0.39 per gram (500g cake). I made my purchase last year and was fortunate enough to pay $0.35/g. With eleven years...” Read full tasting note
  • “She handed it to me with two hands. “ooh,” I thought, “This is special tea”. So it’s one of the first I’m trying from the batch shared with me, and I’ve left the first steep off to the side to...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am so glad that picked some of this up! Also, I am the first to review, which is always exciting. Once I got my package in the mail, I immediately took this and placed it in my storage to...” Read full tasting note

From Yang Qing Hao

2005 Yang Qing Hao “Yiwu Cha Wang Gushu” Raw 500g
Pure YiWu gushu sheng cake.
“Cha Wang” translates literally as King Of Tea (茶王).

“Yang Qing Hao (Yang-Ching Hao) was started by Taiwanese pu-erh collector, Yang Shi-Nan. Mr Yang has collected and studied pu-erhs since the beginning of pu-erh hype in Taiwan as early as 80’s. His rich knowledge about pu-erhs and a dissatisfaction towards the modern “recipe”-based pu-erh makings led him to try to revive the pre-60’s anituqe-grade pu-erhs’ premium quality and tradition. He lives in Yunnan every year from late Feb to May to fully involved in every processing step of his pu-erhs. Every step, from wrapper material selection, raw leaves purchasing, to final indoor drying of the cakes."
from Houde Asian Art & Fine Tea website

About Yang Qing Hao View company

YQH teas are not inexpensive; however, this tea is a relatively modest cost of $0.39 per gram (500g cake). I made my purchase last year and was fortunate enough to pay $0.35/g. With eleven years of age and pure Yiwu gushu material, this is a very good price! Lots and lots of beautiful whole leaves (but also stems and broken pieces as well). Bright and clear golden tea liquor. Floral/fruity aroma and a very sweet/mellow sip. Good longevity – I can easily go 10-11 infusions and I usually give up before the leaf does. The qi is also there but it is a gentle qi – evoking what I can best describe as a thoughtful meditative state. Nice daily drinker for me and I have successfully shared with non-tea drinking guests.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 75 ML
tea123

I see these YQH reviews and resign myself to accepting that they are out of my grasp. Nice review. Eloquently put.

jschergen

Nice! I agree with this review and enjoy this tea.

This one’s been under a bit of scrutiny lately. I think part of it is because it used to be sold by Houde and its grandiose name. Even if it isn’t necessarily the best YQH tea, I think the qualities of the tea are plenty good for the $/g.

DigniTea

Personally, I do not like to compare but prefer to consider each tea on its own merits. This is an enjoyable tea and it is worth owning and enjoying.

Haveteawilltravel

I felt the same. I liked this a lot, and the qi was spectacular!

She handed it to me with two hands. “ooh,” I thought, “This is special tea”. So it’s one of the first I’m trying from the batch shared with me, and I’ve left the first steep off to the side to resteep a few times tomorrow.

First off: leather. I get that more than anything here, both in smell and taste. It even has the velvety leather feel to it that I’d imagine what drinking leather should be like (but probably isn’t). It’s super comforting and rich, and more than surprised me. I also didn’t get much else out of this first steep, even though leather was a new one for me, and a surprising like at that.

An enormous thanks to shezza for sharing some of her favorite teas with me, this being one of them. Eternally grateful and appreciative!

Flavors: Leather, Thick

I am so glad that picked some of this up! Also, I am the first to review, which is always exciting. Once I got my package in the mail, I immediately took this and placed it in my storage to decompress from its long travel. Today I decided to open it up and give it a shot. The dry leaf is so light and flaky, but I can easily spot massive intact leaves. These decade old leaves give off an aged, slight menthol scent mixed well with some fruity tones. I placed a generous amount in my warmed jianshui and gave it a shake. The scent was very heavy and spiced. I was catching whiffs of leather, slight smoke, tobacco and decayed wood. I let these beauties sit for a bit, and then I prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves smelled relatively like the warmed ones, except the scents became deeper and spicier. The taste was unbelievable! This drink fills the mouth with a heavy liquid. The tongue is soothed, the taste buds are stimulated, and the throat is warmed. I loved it! The huigan was thick and lasting. The taste begins with calm leather, nectar, and a juicy sensation. The liquor itself smelled fantastic! I was reminded of Tahitian Vanilla Beans; the aroma was so creamy and rich. The creme flavor came about by the second steeping. The texture was smooth and silky and easily filled the senses. I was struck by tongue prickling and my hair on my head began to rise. The qi was a steady electricity coursing throughout my veins. A slight sour tone appeared in the background by the third steeping, and it grew consistently over time. The gorgeous cream note is replaced by a tantalizing leather and wood by the sixth steeping. The brew begins to show its age in later steeping with the dominating tones being leather, dark wood, tobacco, and a slight bitter. However, the liquor keeps its consistent vanilla aroma. The qi is quite powerful and all body encompassing. I was alert, happy, and giggly. The qi is centered at the head and creates a lot of pressure on the mind and temples. I absolutely loved this deep bronze colored drink. There were so many different scents encompassing this session. The leaves with their spice, the drink with its sweetness, and the taste with its power. I loved how intricate this tea is. I’m really glad that I have some of this. I’m going to let the rest store for a little more longer and compare notes. This is truly a King Tea!

Flavors: Cream, Dark Wood, Decayed wood, Leather, Nectar, Pleasantly Sour, Smoke, Tobacco, Vanilla

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
jschergen

Do you have a full cake of it?

Haveteawilltravel

Not yet, haha. I always pick up samples from new sellers before getting cakes/tongs. So, I picked up a bunch of samples of YQH.

jschergen

That’s fair! Curious what you make of the rest.

While this is a very decent tea, I think it’s actually on the lower-end for YQH.

Haveteawilltravel

really? I picked up quite a few samples, so I’m excited to see whats on the higher end. This is my first experience with YGH. Although, I’ve heard of them, I’ve never had the chance to try until now.

jschergen

Yep. I don’t want to bias you, but I’m curious to see what you make of w/e else you got..

Doug F

Did you get the samples via Emmett? I was under the impression he was only ordering cakes for people.

jschergen

@DougF I didn’t know that was an option either. Maybe you have to pay for the samples.

Eitherway, I went blindly for whole cakes and haven’t really regretted it.

Haveteawilltravel

hahahah, yeah I see a lot have just jumped for the cakes. The next buy is soon, so I just may need to pick up some more.