Wild Arbor Feng Qing Black tea Pure Assamica Spring 2014

Baked Bread, Wood, Earth, Grain, Honeysuckle, Malt, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by tperez

• “smooth chocolate malt, wood and vanilla bean. bit of an earthy minerality Chalky astringency and slight bitterness on the finish delicious” Read full tasting note
  • “Found this in my sample basket-an old one from Mandy! Can’t believe I missed it! Since I am planning on putting in a YS order soon, I figured I need to try all the YS teas I have, So I can make a...” Read full tasting note
  • “I know I’m dating myself, but when I was a kid there was this candy called razzles and the company that made them had a contest where you had to explain whether razzles were a candy or a gum....” Read full tasting note
  • “Lewis & Clark Traveling Teabox – Tea #1 Always thrilled to receive another teabox… so many teas to try! Some good ones in this one. This one is everything I love in a solid black tea! Steep...” Read full tasting note

From Yunnan Sourcing

This Autumn we visited several areas of Lincang, including Feng Qing county. We asked a local friend who has a small family tea garden with 60 to 80 year old tea trees growing naturally to pick and process their tea into a special kind of black tea. The tea was picked, briefly wilted, fried, then wilted again for about 24 hours before being dried in the shade.

The brewed tea is floral and sweet with a nice bitter and astringent mouth-feel to bring it into balance. Thick stout leaves and stems with prominent large buds make this tea very infusable. A sure bet for aging over the years, it will develop many rich textures and nuances.

This is 100% pure Assamica, same as is used for pu-erh production! Not a hybrid tippy varietal! Very infusable and nice rich flavor!

Spring 2014 harvest

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

smooth chocolate malt, wood and vanilla bean.
bit of an earthy minerality
Chalky astringency and slight bitterness on the finish
delicious

Found this in my sample basket-an old one from Mandy! Can’t believe I missed it! Since I am planning on putting in a YS order soon, I figured I need to try all the YS teas I have, So I can make a full order! :D
But this one is definitely not for me.
It’s super woody…with like…a bready note in the aftertaste…very odd. xD
Thanks for the sample anyway, Mandy!

Flavors: Baked Bread, Wood

I know I’m dating myself, but when I was a kid there was this candy called razzles and the company that made them had a contest where you had to explain whether razzles were a candy or a gum. Presumably you would win a lifetime supply of razzles.

Well, you could play the same game with this scintillating tea from Yunnan Sourcing. Is it an Assam with Yunnan notes or a Yunnan black with Assam undertones? Luckily, all I have to do is enjoy the tea which has the body and heft of an Assam with the fruitiness and chocolate maltiness of a Dian Hong.

Lewis & Clark Traveling Teabox – Tea #1

Steep #1 // 2 tsps. // 10 min after boiling // 3 min steep
The color of the cup is a lovely deep red that promises amazing flavor: bready, malty, strong while still sweet, hints of dark fruit. I think this cup was steeped perfect. I’m not sure why the name is “assamica” though and I usually don’t think I like teas called Feng Qing. So very delicious and the perfect start to this teabox!

Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min
Another gorgeous cup – I think was doing a tea dance that resembled Britta’s pizza dance from Community. Much like Britta’s dance was inspired by drug use (and maybe pizza), tea is my drug! The flavor was almost identical to the first cup! So so good.

tperez

Hey Tea Sipper, they call it assamica because its made of the pure, wild Yunnan assamica varietal (used for making puerh) as opposed to most Yunnan blacks which are made of the assamica hybridized with camelia sinensis sinensis from other parts of China.

Glad you liked it so much! I have some on order that I’m eagerly awaiting :)

tea-sipper

That was weird, the comment number said zero but I didn’t see it until I clicked on the tasting note. Thanks for the info! It didn’t taste like what would turn into pu-erh. I think you’ll like this one!

Lewis & Clarke TTB

Continuing with my morning black tea spree! I’m actually very happy with the teas that Yunnan Sourcing provided for this box, three of them are blacks that I specifically wanted to try, so it works out well for me! The leaves of this tea are about medium-sized, and they’re got that creepy tree branch vibe going on, long and twisty and very dark in color. Dry scent is sweet and somewhat malty.

The brewed tea smells strongly of honeysuckle, which I was not expecting! :P There’s also strong malt and a little bit of fruit. I also get that honeysuckle note in the taste, and it’s very lovely! There’s a slight touch of earthiness at the beginning of the sip, but towards the middle and end it transforms more into a heavy grain flavor that I definitely prefer. I get a little bit of fruitiness at the end and in the aftertaste, and I would classify it as stonefruit. It goes nicely with the honeysuckle, which stays strong throughout the entire sip and blossoms in the aftertaste. Now, I’m not a huge fan of florals, but I’m okay with honeysuckle since it’s quite sweet and very light on the floral side. However, the floral in the aftertaste here does get a little bit soapy for me, probably because the other flavors supporting it have dissipated. Still a delightful tea! :)

Flavors: Baked Bread, Earth, Grain, Honeysuckle, Malt, Stonefruits

Mandy

I don’t remember any floral in this one. I quite liked it. (:

Yeah I noticed that no one else mentioned floral… XD

Lewis and Clarke TTB

malty, but not overwhelmingly so

almost sweet

Rich.

As it cools, it gets sweeter. Almost kind of sweet potato.

I like it. I got multiple infusions from it, WEstern style. The third, I oversteeped on accident because I forgot to set my timer, but it didn’t get bitter or bad. It was nice.

Lewis and Clarke TTB

I usually like to use my little cup I got from Cozumel because it only holds about 9oz when filled to the brim, making it my smallest mug and the best choice I have for gongfu style. But I meant to put it in the fridge yesterday to cold steep yesterday’s golden strand, and instead accidentally put it in the freezer, and I guess it cracked during the expansion from freezing. sad face

First cup I steeped up for 2 minute and was rewarded with malt, cocoa, and molasses. This is delicious.
Second cup I forgot to set a timer so I have no idea how long it steeped for. I didn’t notice any bitterness or astringency though. Just more malt and cocoa and bread and molasses. Yum!

Boiling 1 tsp 8 OZ / 236 ML

Yum yum yum! I loved the Feng Qing tea that I tried from YS. :D

From Marco Polo TTB

I like Assams, and this one is very multi layered and deep. It brewed up as dark as coffee, but isn’t so strong that it is off putting. It’s just smoothly bold and very enjoyable. Thanks to Yunnan Sourcing for providing the samples for this box!

Cameron B.

So many good companies in these boxes! Can’t wait to try more Yunnan Sourcing teas. :D

Cheri

Sounds delicious

madametj

Hey, I forgot to mention that YS had specifically requested that we link to their product pages in our tasting notes. If you don’t mind editing this link into the end of your note as a thank you to them that would be really nice. http://yunnansourcing.com/en/yunnan-black-teas/2934-wild-arbor-feng-qing-black-tea-pure-assamica-spring-2014.html