drank Keemun Xian Zhen by TeaSpring

I should totally start writing it down when people recommend me stuff that they think I would like. Because once again we have here a tea which was specifically recommended to me by a Steepsterite and I don’t have a clue as to who it was.

It was somewhat pricy so I only bought a small amount. Even if it’s the end of all awesome, at this price I think it would probably still only be a treat rather than a standard. $23 for 50 grams, I can’t afford that as a standard.

Anyway, that doesn’t mean it isn’t fun to try, though. It’s not impossible that this actually makes it all the more fun to try.

When first I poured this tea and I stood there in the tea corner, getting a column of steam right in the face, the primary, and very strong, association I had was that of pipe tobacco. Smelling cup now, I don’t really get that at all.

It has something, this tea, something very familiar. Something that I feel I ought to recognise and associate with something specific. This is not an individual note in the aroma, this is the aroma as a whole. I just can’t work out what it is, but I’m getting the clear impression that it’s something that ought to be very familiar to me and also something I haven’t experienced in a long time. This aroma takes me back, I just don’t know to where or when.

When I was a child, my grandfather smoked a pipe. Maybe it is actually a pipe tobacco thing after all.

If we try to break down the aroma a little more, there is a strong grain-y malty note in it, along with something woodsy and slightly spicy. These two notes, I sort of get the impression that they approach me simultaneously. They’re good friends, so they come up to greet me together. I can’t find any floral or pseudo-smoky notes in the aroma though, which I find slightly odd. I have to say I rather miss that note. It’s like there’s something missing.

The flavour isn’t as grain-y either as most Keemuns tend to be. The grain is there, but it’s more subdued, laying down the bottom of the flavour. On the swallow, I get a very clear caramel-y stickyness.

Then there’s a prickly, woodsy sort of flavour on top of that, and at the very top there is a very floral note. Still no pseudo-smoke. It’s 100% floral in this one.

I find this a rather flimsy tea. All the flavour notes are there and strong, but they seem to be only very loosely connected with one another, as if the entire flavour profile could fly apart at a moments notice.

It was an excellent recommendation for me to try. I certainly found it very interesting and fun and I will enjoy the rest of these leaves. I just don’t think it’s one that I’ll drink when I’m in a specific Keemun mood, because it doesn’t really embody how I prefer my Keemuns. For me, a wonderful Keemun must be smoky rather than floral and lot more grain-y than this. This is too soft-spoken, really, to be a good morning tea, and I want my Keemuns to be rather more forceful.

(In other news, I shall be taking the first of my 52teas advent calender today. I know it’s too early, but this way I’ll have the last one before we go to England. Don’t worry about spoilers, I shan’t post anything yet. Although, I did see that some people were speculating on how to minimise spoiler-risk for others, and if anybody is interested in my opinion, it can’t be done. It’s all fine to make sure to post later in the day, but for those of us in earlier time zones, our ‘later in the day’s are still your mornings and the effort is rather lost. I believe that as long as everybody just posts on the correct day or later, then it must be up to others to not visit Steepster until AFTER they’ve opened their calendars. So I will be starting early and writing my posts privately, so I can put them on Steepster later.)

Uniquity

You’re a few days ahead and I’ll be a few days behind! I largely agree about the “spoiler” risk, though honestly I’m not concerned. Yes, the surprise is very nice but as long as I have the tea, I’m a happy duck!

Ninavampi

Mine still hasn’t arrived… I hope it gets here soon enough that I can join in at least mid way! : )

Tea Spring really has some great teas! Most are on the expensive side. :/

Stephanie

Ooo yum—“caramel-y stickyness”!

Angrboda

Uniquity, yeah, if we could hide the text somehow, so that it would be a conscious decision for others to look at that particular post, it would be different, I think. But we can’t, so everybody has to be responsible for their own spoiler safety.

Ninavampi, I hope you get yours too. I know what it’s like to wait and wait while others are playing. Last year I never got mine because the danish post service messed it up. Twice. I decided not to get Frank to try and send it to me a third time after it came back again the second. It was eating up all his profit.

ScottTeaMan, yes, they do tend to be quite pricy, but the shipping rate is so low, I think it evens out more or less.

Stephanie, that’s really the only way I can explain it. :) It’s the first time I’ve found proper caramel in a Keemun. I’ve seen others post about that before, but it always escaped me until now.

Indigobloom

I think you can hide the text though! Wasn’t it with the – key… or something like that…
Mmmmm caramel, naturally! Sounds fantastic

Angrboda

nope, that just makes it rather more difficult to read. :)

Indigobloom

ahhh, that’s right it’s the < & > that deletes the text so that only the author can see it.
There was a post about formatting awhile ago: http://steepster.com/discuss/1894-how-to-use-text-formatting-symbols-formatting-can-be-fun?post_id=27723#forum_post_27723

ScottTeaMan

Thanks for the post Indigo.

Comments

Uniquity

Ninavampi

Tea Spring really has some great teas! Most are on the expensive side. :/

Stephanie

Ooo yum—“caramel-y stickyness”!

Mmmmm caramel, naturally! Sounds fantastic

Angrboda

nope, that just makes it rather more difficult to read. :)

ScottTeaMan

Thanks for the post Indigo.

The Formalities