This was the second sample I tried from the Den’s Tea sampler set. After letting the tea bag infuse for the allotted set of time, the liquor took on a murky, light green appearance. The aroma was pleasant: toasted, evoking the smell of fried Chinese vegetables, particularly that of bok choy (I’m probably the only one who thinks, but, hey, it’s what I was reminded of). The flavor of the tea was full-bodied and smooth, and had a fine balance of the sencha and the roasted rice. Due to the “extra green,” or matcha, it was also slightly bitter.

I enjoyed this tea very much overall. Plus, the wet leaves in the satchels were pleasant to smell!

EDITED: Around ten minutes of the finishing the first infusion, I felt a energized!

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about the history, the manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens, and my favorite herbal tisanes are peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. I’m beginning to get into Wuyi oolongs and Chinese blacks, and am always open to exploring African teas. The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. (Hibiscus, you’re alright if you’re cold.)

I’m an MFA graduate (nonfiction writing, specifically about nature), and an amateur birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt (for the time being).

How I rate (I’m so used to the American grade system…….):

96-100 I absolutely adore everything about it. One of my absolute favorites. Like ambrosia!!

90-95 Superb quality and very enjoyable.

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not bad, but not terribly good.

0-59 NOPE.

If there is no rating – I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea goes beyond rating.

Westchester, NY