This was the second sample I tried from the Den’s Tea sampler set. After letting the tea bag infuse for the allotted set of time, the liquor took on a murky, light green appearance. The aroma was pleasant: toasted, evoking the smell of fried Chinese vegetables, particularly that of bok choy (I’m probably the only one who thinks, but, hey, it’s what I was reminded of). The flavor of the tea was full-bodied and smooth, and had a fine balance of the sencha and the roasted rice. Due to the “extra green,” or matcha, it was also slightly bitter.

I enjoyed this tea very much overall. Plus, the wet leaves in the satchels were pleasant to smell!

EDITED: Around ten minutes of the finishing the first infusion, I felt a energized!

I began drinking tea because its complexity fascinated me. I love learning about its history, its manufacturing processes, and its place in various cultures.

My favorite teas are Japanese greens, and my favorite herbal tisanes are peppermint, lavender and chrysanthemum. So far I like exploring dark oolongs, Chinese blacks, and, most recently, shou pu’erh. African teas are my babies. The only teas I truly dislike are fruity tisanes and the ones that have too much fruit. (Hibiscus – I actually like alone.)

I’m an MFA graduate who studied nonfiction writing. I mostly write nature essays. I’m birder as well as a tea enthusiast. I also like exercising, Tolkien, and Ancient Egypt.

How I rate:

96-100 I adore absolutely everything about it. A permanent addition to my stash.

90-95 Superb quality and extremely enjoyable, but not something I’d necessarily like to have in my stash (might have to do with personal tastes, depending on what I say in the tasting note).

80-89 Delicious! Pleased with the overall quality.

70-79 Simply, I like it. There are qualities that I find good, but there also are things that aren’t, hence a lower rating that I would have otherwise like to put.

60-69 Overall “meh”. Not necessarily bad, but not necessarily good.

0-59 No.

If there is no rating: I don’t feel experienced enough to rate the tea, or said tea just goes beyond rating (in a positive way).

Westchester, NY