drank Jin Jun Mei Black Tea by Yezi Tea

From the Tan Yang Mountains, Fujian, China.
Yezi’s notes say that Jin Jun Mei grows at 4,500 feet above sea level, at which altitude there is very little agricultural land available to grow tea. This in large part explains why there is so little Jin Jun Mei to go around.
(From Wickipedia) Jin Jun Mei (金骏眉) (Golden Beautiful Eyebrow) is a Lapsang Souchong black tea from Wuyishan City, Fujian Province, China. It is made from two small shoots plucked in early spring from the plant’s stem which are subsequently fully oxidised to giving a tea that has a sweet, fruity and flowery flavour with a long lasting sweet after-taste. The brew is bright reddish in colour.

In China, this variety of tea is viewed as one of the most prestigious of all teas. Its price varies depending on the quality, ranging from US$60 to US$700 per ounce.

Dry leaves are black and gold, mostly gold twisty small thread like pieces. Scents of dried sweet apple and other dried fruits with a shortbread or sugar cereal note as well.

I brewed this tea Western style. The Yezi website suggested temps between 176F-185F,,,I brewed at 180F and tasting at every minute, I steeped for a total of 5 minutes.
The liquor is a gorgeous red amber jewel color and has scents of the dried apple and maybe some prune, there is a slight tamarind note as well.
The flavor is cooked red apple peels, there is a tamarind aspect of puckering your mouth. As the liquor cools, a dried apricot note is coming through strongly. Very different flavors to me and I might have to play with this one since I brewed it the way I did, Western with a low temp. I will be gong fu brewing.

6/16/14
Took this one down to 175F Western style this morning. Used 4 grams tea in 16 oz water. Steeped for 5 minutes.
Liquor is deep orange and the flavor is apple peel, a bit of toast. These buds benefit from a lower temperature Western style. Still gotta brew this one Gong Fu.
_________________________________________________________________________
7/5/14
Finally brewed this one Gong Fu style this morning. I haven’t had this in a while and the dry leaves smelled winey and had notes of bread today. I used 1 heaping tsp of tea in my little 100ml porcelain gong fu pot. Used 185F water.
Did an immediate rinse then
15"- thin and very subtle flavors
30" – more golden in color and has a subtle smoky and fruity flavor. This is a very refined Lapsang Souchong. The wet leaves are all buds.
30" – got sweeter as the smoke faded.
30" – nice but subtle flavors
45"- very subtle flavors.

Overall, I think more leaf would be fine for this tea to bring out even more flavor. I will have to try an extra tsp next time with gong fu.
___________________________________________________________________________
7/31/14
Having a cup Western style. Yezi just has such good tea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is smoky and has lots of flavors adding depth to it especially apple.

Flavors: Apple, Apple Skins, Apricot, Smoke, Stewed Fruits