I am still not sure what to make of this tea. I split 2oz of this with a friend. She described it as “smokey”. That might be a good description. When I first brewed up a cup of this I had just washed out my steeper so when the cup had froth on the top I almost dumped it out because I thought maybe I had gotten suds in there. It turns out it is just the tea. The smell is a burned, tobacco-ish smell and it isn’t an inviting smell for me. I convinced myself I still needed to try this. So I took a sip. Okay, not bad, not great. Another sip. Mmm this is getting better. Another sip. I like. I will describe the flavor as a roasted /burnt toast flavor. It is not one that I think I will crave, but when I brew up a cup I seem to really enjoy it. With so many teas out there I am not sure I would purchase this one again.

Update: I am really enjoying the second steep of this tea. The burnt flavor and smell that was a little off putting for me is not there. It’s is a more balanced flavor.

I started drinking tea while on a 4 month long cycling trip through South America. It seemed to always be a great way to warm up when I was cold and it was always available everywhere. Mate was the big tea of choice down there and it was also a great way to get to know people. When I returned home, my sister introduced me to Teavana and this launched me into the realm of loose leaf tea. I am still new to this wonderful world, but so far I am loving it.

I am open to swapping. If you see something in my cupboard just message me and we can try to work something out!

Rating:
90-100 – love, love, love must have around always or as much as possible
80 – 90 – Like, could restock
70 – 80 – If some happened into my cupboard I would drink it but will probably never seek it out.
60 – 70 – Meh, will finish the sample but don’t need to drink this again.
Below 60 – Nope not for me.

Kansas City, MO