Den’s tea sample numero uno. I’m fascinated by the suggested temperature and steep times in the pamphlet that accompanied the sample “kit.” 15 seconds. Boiling. It’s intriguing enough that I have to follow it at least for the first try and see what happens. I just hope my reaction time is quick enough to be able to get the filter out in 15 seconds. Heh.

The leaves are uniformly brown but have gradations from a light milk chocolate color to a dark chocolate color. And they smell like…. toasted rice! Really toasted rice. Like the kind of toasted that sticks to the bottom of the pot and starts to carmelize when you don’t get the water/heat ratio exactly right. Fortunately, I’ve always loved that smell. :-)

At 15 seconds I get a liquor that is a tawny golden yellow, and a toasty aroma reminiscent of some oolongs but less intense and less full. The flavor, however, is surprisingly green! There is a roasted, nutty note, but mostly I taste a celery-like, sweet green flavor, with a bit of a rice-like flavor mixed in which I think is mostly coming from the aroma.

The second steep (20 seconds), brought out a slightly deeper, less green flavor, but I preferred the first steep. Next time I’ll go 15 seconds on the second as well and see what happens.

Like this one. Like.

Jillian

I take it you got the novice green tea sampler too? I’m working my way through mine right now – it’s good stuff. :)

Ricky

Woah everyone’s having Dens!

Yes, it’s an epidemic!

S

This sampler sounds so neat! Did you get an extra sample of sencha in your order? I want to try the Apple, Grape, and Orange senchas, but am thinking maybe I’ll just cross my fingers and hope they send a sample of orange sencha my way?

Cofftea

Shanti, you may not get a free sample of orange for a while- it was the free sample last month (or was it Feb?) so it may not come around again for a while.

Cofftea

Morgana- Japanese greens are now my favorite- partly because they all have different steeping parameters. I’ve yet to find out if other teas (Chinese greens, for example) are all prepared differently.

__Morgana__

@Shanti — looks like I got Organic Sencha as my lagniappe. Not sure whether this is what they’re giving as the “seasonal” choice with all the intro packages though.

Comments

Jillian

Ricky

Woah everyone’s having Dens!

Yes, it’s an epidemic!

S

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California