I’ve been looking forward to trying this sample ever since Ricky said he thought I’d like it since I’d liked Maiden’s Ecstasy.

The little pu erh leaves are so small and cute, like they are with the other Samovar loose pu erhs, and perhaps loose pu erhs in general (my experience isn’t yet broad enough to comment). They’re not a uniform color, they’re gradations of brown from a medium, milk chocolate to a dark, bittersweet chocolate color. They have the deep, dark, leathery smell I have come to associate with pu erh. And something mocha-like, too.

What a gorgeous, dark color this brews to! It’s a deep dark brown, with some red in it. Depending on how the light hits it, it is either very nearly opaque, or darkly translucent. The aroma is gorgeous too. It’s only a little leathery, and not barnyardy, or fishy that I could detect. It reminds me of a savory mushroom soup. Not cream of mushroom. The other kind; the brothy, gravy-esque kind.

The taste is amazing. Again the words deep and dark come to mind. Again, there’s nothing barnyardy or fishy about how this tastes to me. There is some leather, but there is a lot more, too. Earth, moss, coffee, and an interesting mix of other suggestions. On the one hand, gravy. On the other, tree resin. On the other… ok, I realize I don’t have three hands, but if I did, the third would be almost a very dusky, deep, dry cabernet, the kind I don’t generally find palatable. In this tea, though, I like that suggestion. What I don’t like about those kinds of cabs is the abundance of tannin. This, however, is exceptionally smooth.

I think what I must be trying to describe is what ancient trees taste like. Which is awesome to think about.

This is quite lovely. Unlike the other Samovar pu erhs, this is so rich it’s not something I could drink every day. Fortunately, since pu erhs improve with age, I don’t have to worry about it going bad in my cupboard if I limit my indulgence to a sometime thing.

Rabs

I thoroughly enjoyed this note! The color descriptions and your feeble attempt to cover up the fact that you were born with three hands were particular highlights! ;) Seriously: great note!

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

I am convinced that I must try some delicious ancient trees. Actually really does sound good. One I will have to put in my wish list.

__Morgana__

Rabs, LOL! Yes, I’m typing with my third hand now. Can you tell? Rachana, try the sample, it’s a small investment and you can find out whether you like it. As I just found out when I went to the Samovar site, a full size of this is indeed quite pricey — not something you’d want to spend before you satisfy yourself it will be worth it.

Doulton

What a great note. I will have to put this on my list: someday I am going to break down and place a BIG order with Samovar.

You are quite an enabler, Morgana!

__Morgana__

Doulton, since you liked Maiden’s Ecstacy, I think you’ll really like this one. It’s similar, but more if you know what I mean.

Ricky

Gettt ittt! This one > than Madien’s Ecstacy.

Comments

Rabs

RachanaC (Rachel)-iHeartTeas

Doulton

You are quite an enabler, Morgana!

Ricky

Gettt ittt! This one > than Madien’s Ecstacy.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California