Yellow tea!

The last in the H&S Green Tea Sampler.

Steeping for the time and temp in the Harney note, approximately. The Breville doesn’t have settings in 15 second increments, so I’m rounding up.

Beautiful, long fuzzy leaves/buds. They feel soft to the touch and remind me of little caterpillars. They have an interesting, nutty fragrance. It’s sort of reminiscent of some oolongs and some darjeelings, but more delicate.

It’s funny, I don’t know that I would have come up with “spice scented rose”, but wow, it’s there in the aroma. Which is pretty interesting, since the aroma is very very delicate. It’s the kind of thing where if you don’t spend time with it, you could miss it.

Very very pale yellow liquor. Almost clear. The flavor has a spicy lilt to it, which I wasn’t expecting at all. It is like a ginger, like a ginger that almost isn’t there and makes itself known mostly through feel and secondarily through taste. I’m getting some nuttiness on the back end. Very mild nuttiness, like the meat of macademia nuts minus the salt.

This wasn’t love at first sight for me, as I was sort of hoping it would be. But it’s positive enough that I’m willing to go out on a few more dates and see what comes of it.

90-94 First rate; top notch; really terrific; will definitely buy more

80-89 Excellent; likely to become a favorite, will likely buy more

50-59 Okay or run of the mill

Below 50 So-so, iffy, would definitely pass
or ick. The lower the number, the closer to ick.

Bay Area, California