drank Tie Guan Yin by The Jade Teapot

I went to pick out a tea to sip today and kept getting drawn to an oolong. So I decided to go with this, since I haven’t had it in a lengthy amount of time, and I’ve still got a good few scoops left.

The liquid appears greener than I remember, and the smell is faintly of jasmine. Or at least something a touch floral in with the usual cooked vegetable scent. Steeping this in sets of half a cup of water per steep. About four ounces.

The taste is how I remember it. Very light and green, touches of floral. The greeness is more refreshing, less baked. I think this is a good Book tea. I’d sip it while I read. I’m pretty sure I mentioned that last post. I’d have to go back and reread it.

Second Steep: Seems sharper, I suppose, a little stronger and less floral but still very smooth, almost butter in the back of the throat.

Third Steep: Starting to take the hot water through it, I think. No floral whiffs left at all. Sharper taste, but still very pleasant.

Fourth Steep: Pretty much like the third steep.

I let the leaves sit out and dry overnight.

Fifth Steep: May be because I left the tea to cool as I made toast (I remember Jillian saying something about oolongs becoming sweeter as they cool), but it did taste slightly sweet. And not as sharp. I think the jasmineish floral taste might’ve been making a slight comeback as well.

Sixth Steep: The colour has yet to weaken. Still getting a sweetness, even though I’m drinking this one much hotter. A slightly sharp, vegetal sweetness. Mmm.

Seventh Steep: Holy crap still going strong. Still a sweetness, and the smooth vegetable taste. I’m not getting any more original with my descriptions here.

Eight Steep: It seems the taste is finally starting to wane. Still smells strongly, though. No sweetness this time around.

A tea-drinking transgendered Canadian, currently in the third year of college, majoring in geology (yes, “rocks and things”). I take most of my tea made straight into a mug, although occasionally if I’m not in a hurry (this isn’t often), I’ll have time to sit down with a pot. It’s the highlight of a good day if I have time for a pot.

When I was a kid, I used to experiment by ripping open bags of Tetley’s and stuffing in extra ingredients.

I prefer Earl Grey, and a good friend of mine (who considers himself a great tea enthusiast) hates me because of it. I cannot explain his irrational hatred of bergamot.

BC, Canada