Fujian Ti Kuan Yin

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Ilya Kreymerman

From Adagio Teas

Oolong tea from the Fujian province of China. In Mandarin, Ti Kuan Yin means “Iron Goddess of Mercy”, a name derived from local legend. This tea is arguably the finest of Chinese oolongs, with competition-grade varieties selling for thousands of dollars a pound. This loosely rolled, lightly oxidized or “green” Ti Kuan YIn yields a pale golden cup with a light body and soft orchid notes that linger and reveal a subtle complexity that will delight a fine palate. As the liquor cools, a sweet finish becomes apparent and offers faint hints of honeydew. 3g/8oz 185 degree F water for 3-5min.

About Adagio Teas View company

floral ,sweet and smooth. just what I like in a friday morning cuppa.

Hrm. Thin mouthfeel. Woody. Green-ish. Hard to describe because there just doesn’t seem to be much there. Slurping doesn’t do much but a nice sweet, slightly floral note did show up in the aftertaste. Overall this is disappointingly bland. Not even normal. Bland. Maybe I’m just missing something. Meh.

Michelle Butler Hallett

Hmmm. I wonder about the batch you got. Ti Kuan Yin normally inspires gasps of pleasure. Sorry about the disappointment.

Stash carries a decent loose Ti Kuan Yin.

Auggy

It’s possible something was up with the batch but it really didn’t seem bad. Just not a great example of a TKY. I love CTG’s version (SO GOOD!) and have had a handful of other really stellar ones but for whatever reason it is easier for a TKY to miss the boat with me. Versus something like a pouchong which I’m almost always a fan of.

Dry it smells like kale or at least what I imagine kale to smell like, since I don’t think I have ever actually smelled kale. Has a nice light emerald gold color and smells like wet dewy grass on a fall morning. Very light taste that is similar to a salad without dressing. Doesn’t taste much different to me then any only Ti Kuan Tin, though I don’t really mind.

This tea steeps up with a fragrantly floral aroma that makes me think of just-opened lilac blossoms. The first steep tastes floral and sweet with an oddly spicy aftertaste that linger on the tongue. The flavour has more body and weight to it than many other green oolongs I’ve tasted.

The resteep (@5 min) is mellower and significantly less floral. That perplexing spicy aftertaste is also absent, but the tea still has a full, pleasent flavour that’s sweet without being cloying.

Auggy

Hmm, maybe I need to steep mine longer because your experience @ 4mins sounds much better than mine @ 2min.

This tea also came with another sample of spring Darj today! I knew I was in for a treat and knew that as much I enjoyed Darj this tea would make me day! It Has! The little sample was a mere 3 grams but comforting and full in every way. The smell of the tea is of a light smokey with a touch of boiled vegetables, the liquor tasted of (again)boiled vegetables much like dark green vegetables, with hints of ginger and soil. Bottom line: A tea that is fulfilling and worth every penny for those in deeply in love of rich, full bodies teas. A tea that won’t disappoint at all!

Earlier this winter I stopped by a local tea shop and told them I wanted a recommendation for a good oolong. The barista asked me a series of questions (whether I added cream or sugar to my tea, what kinds of flavors I liked, etc.) and then came to an oolong I will never forget. I was so cold that day with the temperatures hovering around -2º F that I didn’t pay attention too much as she told me the name of the tea. I remember sitting at the table, reading a book, and taking the first few sips of this oolong and absolutely falling in love.

Today, when I took the first sip of this Ti Kuan Yin from Adagio I was transported back to that tea shop, to that wonderful cup of liquid gold. I’m so glad I have found this oolong again. The flavors are complex: floral, sweet like honey and crisp like an apple. The mouth feel is silky smooth and the aftertaste is wonderfully astringent. The second and third steeps bring out the sweetness even more and move into more of a honeydew flavor. This tea is such an enjoyable experience. To witness the unfurling of the leaves as they transform through the steeping process is a wonderful visual experience. I highly recommend this tea to oolong lovers and to those who would normally add sugar to their tea. This may be the leaf you need to stop sweetening the tea and to truly start enjoying the flavors of the leaves.

I took Adagio’s recommendation for the first steep. 3g leaves/8oz water, 185º for 4 minutes (the label said 3-5 so I shot for the middle). The second steep I added 1 minute to give the flavors a chance to continue to develop.

Cofftea

Again, I wonder how this differs from their regular Ti Kuan Yin… I’m starting to wonder if some of these teas are really different.

This is a really nice oolong. The smell has slight floral notes. And the flavor is smooth, slightly green, and flavorful. The tea does well with multiple steepings. Very enjoyable!

I had such a good time with the Formosa Pouchong last night I decided to do another green oolong tonight. This is also from the maestro sampler set.

The leaves do an amazing job of expansion. They essentially tripled in size during multiple steeps. Whoa.

I love the Iron Goddess, but somehow this one wasn’t as magical as yesterday’s pouchong. Perhaps I still had too much left on my palate from dinner, so I won’t rate this just yet. It has a very similar buttery, creamy, floral aroma and taste, but the pouchong is lighter and oddly, I think, at the same time more complex and flavorful. This one has a flatter aspect, and doesn’t morph as much from steep to steep as the pouchong did. It’s still quite nice, though, and perhaps if I’d had this first after my long green oolong drought I would have preferred it. Who knows. There’s enough similarity that it’s at least possible. This one doesn’t have the amazing sugary finish, though.

I want to try it again soon, though.

195 °F / 90 °C

I really enjoyed this, but didn’t think it was necessarily worth the steep price. It held up to many steepings, and I had to quit well before it seemed to. But it just tasted like a standard oolong that has grassier, greener notes than some. Tasty, but not repurchasing considering the price.

Sarah – really liked. Rating: 95