Keemun Rhapsody

Edit tea info Last updated by Jason

• “Grrrrr... argh... I am so very sleepy this morning. I even hit snooze too many times and was subsequently late for work. D'oh! So simplicity is what this morning calls for. Brewed this up in...” Read full tasting note
    Skulleigh 270 tasting notes
  • “Yesterday I was home sick, but still working. I went to bed at 8:30 p.m. Today I felt a lot better, as I managed to get some sleep last night. I slept a good bit of today, too. I'm hoping...” Read full tasting note
    __Morgana__ 952 tasting notes
  • “Lena was lovely and sent me an entire sample tin full of this. I was really excited to give it a try, so I steeped some today. I'm going to preface this by saying a couple of things. One, I am...” Read full tasting note
    takgoti 260 tasting notes
  • “This is a very fine, wiry looking leaf. The smell is earthy and sweet, like peat moss. First brew was five minutes. Fairly dark liquor, sweet and clean tasting like a Ceylon and finishing with...” Read full tasting note
    ccarter756 110 tasting notes

From Adagio Teas

Black tea from the Anhui region of China. Keemun tea, perhaps the most famous of Chinese varieties, is prized for its rich chocolate-like flavor, and sumptuous aroma. The ‘Keemun Rhapsody’ is a hand-made, limited production ‘superior mao feng’ grade tea. It is a rare embodiment of this tea’s wonderful potential, with taste bud entrancing cocoa notes, biscuit nuances, a whispering fruitiness and a flickering shadow of classic Keemun smokiness.

About Adagio Teas View company

Grrrrr… argh…

I am so very sleepy this morning. I even hit snooze too many times and was subsequently late for work. D’oh!

So simplicity is what this morning calls for. Brewed this up in my generic tea bottle, with water out of the dispenser, which technically isn’t hot enough, but, again, simplicity. I was already heating my oatmeal.

This time, I am tasting the cocoa notes of this, which don’t usually come through for me as much. It’s a comforting, dependable tea though, and that’s what counts.

Last night, I downloaded the Zombies, Run! app to my cell phone, and went for a quick walk/occasional sprint with it. It was a lot of fun as I went around my own neighborhood, imagining it as a post-apocolyptic wasteland where I gathered supplies and ran away from hordes of shuffling undead.

I was thinking this morning that I would definitely have to add tea to my must-pick-up supplies in a Zombie invasion. This tea would be on my hoped for list. And Jasmine tea, as well. At some point, you might be reduced to Lipton teabags though. shudder

If you knew a Zombie invasion was coming, what tea would you stockpile? :D

Hesper June

Oh, dear…well, I believe I would have to stockpile Earl Grey, if I could only stockpile one.
But after that, it would be Jasmine Pearl.
Although…if we are just boiling water around a campfire (no electric kettles to be found with variable temp option I am sure) than maybe one should stick to black and herbals so they can handle a higher temp water…
Wow, well you sure gave me something to ponder while running on the treadmill this morning;)

Skulleigh

If cost wasn’t an object, pearl teas would be incredibly efficient, I think. It seems to take only a few pearls for a strong cup, and they don’t take up much space. Hmmm… I might have to rethink my Zombie Emergency Supply Plan :D

Hesper June

Very true.
I also got to thinking of that while I was running, that maybe it would be better to have a tea that can tolerate lower heating temps.
Most likely our tea time will have to be short periods of time while we are on the go, so having a tea that you would not have to heat the water up to a boiling might be better.
So, again…Pearls would fit the bill:)

Yesterday I was home sick, but still working. I went to bed at 8:30 p.m.

Today I felt a lot better, as I managed to get some sleep last night. I slept a good bit of today, too. I’m hoping this horrible cough is going away, finally.

I haven’t had much tea. Mostly just not doing anything except lying down, drifting in and out of sleep. Haven’t worked out, haven’t been eating anything but junk as my body is craving sugar.

This is my welcome back to the living tea. And it’s a good one.

So far, I’m 3 for 3 with the Adagio Black Savant sampler. The next is a pu erh (odd choice for this sampler), but I’m definitely going to have to put in an Adagio order when i come out of lock down if for no other reason than this, the Yunnan Gold, and the Golden Spring.

This has all the qualities I like in Keemuns and none of the ones I’ve not liked. A little sweetness, a little smokiness, some breadlike or baked goods quality. Very smooth, very rich.

I’ll write more when I’m feeling better, but wanted to put down some initial impressions because this was very tasty indeed.

Auggy

This is one of my favorite Keemuns. I need to order more!

I’m going to preface this by saying a couple of things. One, I am still adjusting to the fact that Jackee Muntz completely morphed on me from tasting like caramel sauce to tasting like what I guess keemun tastes like. Two, I’m not sure that keemun is a type of tea that is ever going to make my favorite black teas list. Three, this rating is completely liable to change.

Right. Now that that’s out of the way, this tea was decent. It wasn’t bad, but it wasn’t great for me either. It tasted weaker to me than Jackee Muntz, which made me think that maybe I didn’t steep it for long enough, because the water was definitely at a rolling boil when I took it off the stove. Adagio recommends 5 minutes, but I was a little scared to let it sit that long, so next time I’ll try it at the full five.

I didn’t get any caramel notes from this, it was mainly lightly smoky with pine notes, maybe with some very subtle notes of cocoa. Reading the description now, I think I definitely need to let this steep longer. I didn’t get rich or sumptuous from it at all, and the supposed biscuit and fruity notes weren’t available to me on this cup.

I’m eager to try this again, because it looks like a relatively high quality tea, so I’ll probably give it another go tomorrow. Fingers are crossed! Good brain waves are being sent! C’mon, keemun!

Auggy

Oh well! Better luck with a longer steep then! I think Keemun is a tea that just isn’t for everyone – the husband isn’t a fan at all and my mom’s made a face at it before. But I luf it lots.

takgoti

Yeah, I’d do it tonight, but I’m not in the mood for a heavy tea right now and I want to give it a fair shot. I think that I also really need to work on shifting my keemun expectations leftward [or something – just away from caramel] and then I can be happier about it.

East Side Rob

I’ve been sampling a slew of Keemuns lately (haven’t had time to log them all yet) and there’s a lot of variety from one Keemun to the next. Some are like unsweetened chocolate, but I’ve found too many of them to be too smoky, tarry, or tobacco-like.

takgoti

I haven’t tasted tobacco, thankfully, but the smokiness I’m can definitely taste. I don’t mind it, really [I’m one of the weirdos who likes Lapsang Souchong], but I’m hoping this becomes stronger tomorrow.

LENA

ok, well I’m glad you kind of liked it. keep tinkering. :)

Auggy

The good news is, it really won’t get bitter so it’s a hard one to oversteep.

takgoti

@LENA Will do! Gonna make some in a few minutes!

@Auggy Oh phew, thanks for that. I can steep easy now.

groan

takgoti

I’M SORRY. IT COULD NOT BE HELPED.

This is a very fine, wiry looking leaf. The smell is earthy and sweet, like peat moss. First brew was five minutes. Fairly dark liquor, sweet and clean tasting like a Ceylon and finishing with an earthy, smoky flavor, rather like good barbecue, but just a hint of the smoke. Second steep wasn’t really worth drinking – the flavor was much weakened. I tried a new batch with a somewhat longer steep time – about six minutes. This made the earthy/smoky flavor much more pronounced, with no bitterness. This tea would probably benefit from a longer than usual steep. That finished off my sample, and now I am totally out! Sadness :( I like this very much!

Erin

I have a sample of this I’ve been meaning to try. Nice review!
(By the way, the dog in your icon is adorable!)

Cynthia Carter

The dog in my icon knows how adorable he is. So does his cute little beagle packmate. Thank you!

I haven’t rated this one yet, although I’ve had it several times now. I’ve been busy power reading instead of hanging out on the internets. (Wheel of Time book 13!!! Aaarrrgg)

It smells like a fruity black, and it tastes nice and smooth, with a darkish fullbodied mouthfeel. I really like the aftertaste too. I’m really impressed by it!

Thanks JosieJade for such a generous sample!

Good, but not great. It’s a sweeter black tea with a nice, golden brown color and a smokey aroma, but the taste isn’t as strong as it could be, and the smokey aroma doesn’t last through steeping, so it looses a lot of what could make it unique. Not bad, and I think it could really open up with a longer steeping since there’s still no bitterness at 5 minutes, but not as good as I was hoping for from the “embodiment of this tea’s wonderful potential”.

I have run out of almost everything … Then I found a little bit of Keemun Rhapsody in the back of my tea shelf. I have always enjoyed Keemun – it’s moderately smokey, rich and dark and smooth. Perfect for the afternoon.
Made some tea related design work. I’m not done with it yet. I hope to finalize it next week. It will be available for people to download to be printed on a t-shirt, tote bag or a hoodie.
Here’s the preview:

Cofftea

LOVE the graphic!

inguna

Thanks. I will make also a version on a white background and fine tune some smaller things and then it will be available (free).

Cofftea

I like free even more:)

This is the last of my Black Savant Sampler. The smell is smokey, chocolatey, and a little piney. It’s a rich brown liquid, but not as dark as the Pu-Erh Dante I botched yesterday.

The first sip burned me. Apparently I didn’t let this one cool down enough… My tongue was still tingling in a pained way when I tried my second sip, so I couldn’t taste much except for an earthy tone. The third sip was really good. This is rich tea with a faint hint of sweetness amongst all that earth. I can taste chocolate, earth, and maybe some sort of fruit.

I think it’s really exciting how one’s palate develops. If I had tasted this in September, I probably wouldn’t have even liked it, let alone taste all the different notes in this tea. I’m not sure when my turning point was, but it’s like all of a sudden my eyes [taste buds?] have been opened!

i added too much sugar >.< but its still really good! i also didnt steep it for the recomended 5 mins i did 3 :)

im losing my train of thought lol im watching the food network lol! <3 barefoot!

this tea is nice and light for a black, but that may be from my 3 min rather than 5 min steep. it has a buttery note its a great breakfast tea :)

I needed to either take a nap or have tea. I selected tea. I normally have Keemun at work which is where I keep my tin of Rishi so I was really expecting the same taste when I took my first sip. But then I remembered why I love this one so much. Smooth, flavorful, so yummy. Just perfect.