Misty Mountain High Mountain Oolong

Creamy, Sweet, Vegetal, Grass
Bulk, Loose Leaf
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Magycmyste

• “First, let me say I love hand picked teas! Especially with the oolongs, as they usually require more courting and patience to wait for their leaves to fully unfurl. What a treat and reward to those...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 139 tasting notes
  • “My Kickstarter tea arrived! I’m drinking this western style, because my dog broke the lid to my gaiwan. :( (Did I mention I have a new dog? I love her, even though she is a tiny bit...” Read full tasting note
    smallstar42 249 tasting notes
  • “So, I made an effort to follow the steeping instructions this time. Microwaved it till the digital thermometer read 191, and I set a timer for 3.5 minutes, though by the time I took the tea out,...” Read full tasting note
    Magycmyste 23 tasting notes
  • “Tea #6, 2015 Asian Tea tasting event hosted by me: This was the 2014 Winter harvest that came with the rewards from their Kickstarter. This was a tea I was REALLY looking...” Read full tasting note
    Proust614 474 tasting notes

From Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company

This is your proper Gao Shan Cha or ”High Mountain Tea”. It’s similar to the Stone Table Oolong from AliShan but is grown in a different region: The hipper, more accessible ShanLinXi region. This is more often than not our daily drinker. It has a medium amber body, it’s not floral but very palate cleansing and refreshing. You can drink this tea a long time and not get tired of it! It really is everything a High Mountain Oolong tea should be. Like our other teas, this tea is expertly grown, hand-picked, hand-processed and FRESH!

Location: Shan Lin Xi, Nantou county, Central Taiwan.

Chinese name: 衫林溪高山茶/Shan Lin Xi Gao Shan Cha.

About Beautiful Taiwan Tea Company View company

First, let me say I love hand picked teas! Especially with the oolongs, as they usually require more courting and patience to wait for their leaves to fully unfurl. What a treat and reward to those that dare to have the endurance to see and taste this great development. The complexity and change in each steeping, yields even more character and delight.

This tea is such a tea. One that is delicate and tender, with a certain youthfulness of the leaves. Young and aromatic, yet deep and fulfilling. Its medium yellowish green color is brilliant, with a sparkly clarity. The taste of the sip is very intense – creamy, slightly flowery, but more clean and palate cleansing. I’m picking up something that has a nice and tasteful mineral tanginess to the tounge(no it’s not the water – I only use filtered water from my Brita)that definitely adds to all the other sensations with drinking this tea. There is a fullness to the liquid, thicker almost. The flavor lingers on the tongue and sweetens the entire mouth.

Each rolled tea ball, has been tightly rolled with stems attached. Not the normal low quality stems that you usually see from some budget teas. These tea leaves, once they unfurl – reveal some very nice looking leaves and bud tips that are attached to the stems. Everything looks like it still has life to them, freshly picked – not the overly dried up and poor quality look.

I’m very pleased with this tea thus far. For the quality, the pricing isn’t bad at all, if your looking for a good quality oolong.

This company ships for FREE anywhere in the US, which another great reason to try them!

My Kickstarter tea arrived! I’m drinking this western style, because my dog broke the lid to my gaiwan. :( (Did I mention I have a new dog? I love her, even though she is a tiny bit destructive.) Anyway, the tea. This is quite a nice high-mountain oolong. It has a lovely sweet, fresh aroma, and the taste is similar: lightly vegetal, sweet, crisp, with a creamy mouthfeel and a cleansing sensation to the palate. It’s not overly complex (or maybe I’m just not appreciating the complexity this evening), but it’s very nice.

Flavors: Creamy, Sweet, Vegetal

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 30 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

So, I made an effort to follow the steeping instructions this time. Microwaved it till the digital thermometer read 191, and I set a timer for 3.5 minutes, though by the time I took the tea out, it was probably closer to 4.

I’m not as familiar with oolong tea as I am with black/green/white/rooibos/herbal – I don’t drink it as often. I loved this Kickstarter campaign, though, and I’m looking forward to trying it.

The oolong (steeped) smells a little more grassy and flowery than I’m used to with my teas. Almost like it’s fermented. The color is a marigold yellow. The taste matches the scent, but it’s not unpleasant. It’s definitely got a more vegetal quality than most teas I’m used to. I haven’t had enough oolongs over the years to decide if that’s just how they are, or if this is more unique to this variety.

As it cools to the point where I can drink longer, rather than just sipping at it (it’s still hot), I’m getting a distinct impression of clover. There is the barest hint of sweetness to it that rounds out the grassiness.

I do think next time I steep this tea, though, I might let it steep for a longer period. Maybe at a slightly lower temperature, and see what flavor I get from it.

Flavors: Grass, Vegetal

Tea #6, 2015 Asian Tea tasting event hosted by me:
This was the 2014 Winter harvest that came with the rewards from their Kickstarter. This was a tea I was REALLY looking for :)
The buds have two to three leaves on them and look beautiful :)
I need to tinker with the brewing of this one, but at the same time I can tell that in regards to taste it did kind of let me down some. I was expected a winter harvest to really have more power behind it and compel me to only buy winter harvest oolongs but this did not do that. It is still good, but I am still in search of that one oolong that befriends and converses with my tastebuds in a way that I experience.
p.s. I am happily sun-burnt holding a pot with the leaf all over for your amusement https://scontent-iad3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xta1/v/t1.0-9/11108869_10152900756937361_2761049267117210011_n.jpg?oh=09d3dbbcfc369d352501ef2eb079ad59&oe=55FD413B

Although this is a gorgeous-looking tea, both dry and infused, it is typical of gaoshans in that its taste is rather thin and light. What it does have (taste & aroma) is very pleasant, mind you, but there is not much of it.

First infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz water, 90 deg., 5:00 min.

Second infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 7:00 min.

Third infusion – 3 g. per 6 oz. water, 90 deg., 10:00+ min.

195 °F / 90 °C 5 min, 0 sec 3 g 6 OZ / 177 ML