Grizzly Brown 2006 Meng Hai Tu Si Ripe Puer

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Earth, Menthol, Smooth, Sweet, Cherry, Smoke, Tea, Wet Earth, Leather, Mineral, Tangy, Clay, Drying, Red Fruits, Autumn Leaf Pile, Wood, Medicinal, Campfire, Wet Rocks
Edit tea info Last updated by just john

From Bitterleaf Teas

This ripe Puer is one of our best bang for your buck offerings. Similar to how “Gong Ting” refers to the Imperial Palace grade of ripe Puer, this 1kg “Tu Si” ripe Puer brick was originally bestowed upon tribal leaders and therefore of higher quality. This tea was acquired as private stock through a close acquaintance within the Zhong Cha tea company in 2007, and is available in limited quantity. Produced in 2006 in Menghai, it has since spent its time in controlled Kunming dry storage.

Our Grizzly Brown ripe Puer shares several traits with our Moose Crown, such as a smooth, thick body, a mouth-filling feeling and overall clean taste. During the initial brews it exhibits a slight forest taste (at least in comparison to the Moose Crown) for the first 2 or 3 infusions. After this point it has a date-like sweetness that is very easy to drink. It has a big, present taste and body, but without all the mud and dirt that come with a lot of lower quality ripe Puers.

The soup starts off as a bright orange-amber that gradually gets darker through infusion 1-7 before starting to taper off again. After drinking, it leaves a slick feeling in the mouth and a sweet fragrance.

Source:

This tea has been privately stored within the family since 2007 after being acquired through a close connection within the Zhong Cha tea company.

About Bitterleaf Teas View company

Hey, I’m not backlogged anymore. I tried a couple of shou puerhs today. This was the first. Still trying to decide if I like it or not.
Dry leaf didn’t smell like much. I preheated the shibo, cup, and pitcher I was to use with boiling water. Followed directions on the label.
6.4g, boiling water, 7s rinse – smells earthy, menthol
10s – tastes cooling, menthol, 15s- cooling, smooth, hint of sweetness,
22s- cooling, tingly on my tongue; continued to be cooling and sweet over the next three steeps.
I took a break here – ate a grapefruit and re-heated my water.
40, 50, 60s- earthy, smooth; 2m, 4m
Overall smooth,earthy, sweet, cooling/menthol especially at the beginning. Started out pretty light in color getting darker over subsequent infusions.
This tea didn’t make me a convert, but it wasn’t a bad first impression/introduction to shou.

Flavors: Earth, Menthol, Smooth, Sweet

Please keep things friendly and .

Sampled from the Pu’erh Plus TTB.

Prepared 4.6g in a 60ml ceramic gaiwan. I generally followed BLT’s instructions. Rinsed once for 7 seconds and let the chunk rest for 2 minutes. Steeping times: 10 seconds, 15, 15, 22, 22, 29, 35, 45, 60, 90; 2 minutes, 4, 8, 15.

The dry leaf aroma smelled earthy and leathery. Sitting in the pre-heated gaiwan brought out sweetness. The aroma of the wet leaf was also sweet and leathery initially, and became chocolate-like and even sweeter the more the leaf was steeped.

I should have given the chunk a second rinse. It was more pressed than I thought, so it didn’t completely fall apart until after the fourth steeping. As a result, cups 1-4 were too light in taste: sweet and earthy with an aftertaste of dates and raisins. Beginning with the 5th and till the 1oth cups, I experienced very much what BLT describes on their website. Right on the money! That is, overall, this was a clean, clear, and gentle shou. The soup is the color of dark orange. Though lighter in feel and taste than I prefer in shou, Grizzly Brown was full-bodied, very creamy in texture, and had a pronounced sweet earth note. The date/raisin aftertaste was more rounded and lasted longer, and I also noted a prunes. At cups 11 and 12, the sweetness faded and I tasted wood and leather. However, 13 and 14 surprisingly returned to fruity sweetness, even tasting somewhat tart.

Please keep things friendly and .

This was an excellent tea. I got very little in the way of earthy notes from it. It had nearly cleared. I did get some sweet notes. One note that I can best describe as sweet bamboo shoots emerged in steep three and lasted a few steeps. Not sure what to call the notes that emerged after this. This was not what I would call a chocolaty shou. It was quite good. I steeped it twelve times and I had to stop myself from continuing because I had already had too much caffeine. I just went out on a limb and bought the whole 1 kg brick on this one and it was worth it.

I steeped this twelve times with a 150ml gaiwan and 11.1g leaf in boiling water. I gave it a 10 second rinse. I steeped it for 5 sec, 5 sec, 7 sec, 10 sec, 15 sec, 20 sec, 25 sec, 30 sec, 45 sec, 1 min, 1.5 min, and 2 min.

Boiling 11 g 5 OZ / 150 ML
Liquid Proust

I call this tea the woods : )

Please keep things friendly and .

From the Dark matter group buy, steeped during a google hang out with other steepsters.

First steeps were quite weak, but mineral and wet pile. I went crazy and did an aggressive long steep and got one excellent cup of rich, thick, earthy, and smooth. The next infusion however was horrific as it was so bitter it was rising up my nose. It is really impressive to get bitter out of a shou, hahhaa! So yeah, maybe take a more moderate approach to this tea and insane like I did.

Overall not bad, if I had some more I’d experiment again.

Please keep things friendly and .

Got a sample of this thanks to Liquid Proust. I found it very smooth and enjoyable. Another reviewer has it pegged when they said topsoil. The longer you steep this, the more earthy flavors come out. I was able to get about 12 infusions before the flavors faded. For the price this seems like a good value.

195 °F / 90 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

Got this tea as part of a sampler from LiquidProust. I really liked this one.

The scent had a lot of wet hay/damp soil notes, which I have come to associate with pu’erh.

The flavor is delicious, with a silky, full body.

Flavors: Cherry, Smoke, Tea, Wet Earth

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 4 OZ / 120 ML

Please keep things friendly and .

This is the last of my Liquid Proust puerh sampler, and I have to say that it’s been an interesting ride. Thank you so very much LP!

If this experience has taught me anything, it’s how to identify a shou and a sheng by sight, taste, and smell. This one’s definitely a shou. Its fermenty flavor seems to have mostly aged out. The flavors I am getting are slightly tangy, a little old leather, and wet, earthy leaves. Actually, it tastes pretty similar to how it looks, which is a first for me.

Flavors: Leather, Mineral, Tangy, Wet Earth

Please keep things friendly and .

Quoting haveteawilltravel here, because I can’t get any closer than this:

First shou for me! Thanks LP!

Flavors: Clay, Drying, Leather, Wet Earth

Please keep things friendly and .

I’ve been interested in this company and this puerh made its way over to me. The brick is loosely compressed and very twiggy. I can pick up a heavy wood tone with some sweet earthiness. I warmed up my gaiwan and placed a chunk inside. The scent deepens to a smooth petrichor and some intense leather scents. I washed the leaves once and poked around to help expansion. The soup was thick but light crimson. The flavor begins dry and with a drought earth flavor. This taste progresses to an old leather and top soil. The flavors keep a consistent smooth dry bite with some wet clay and rainwater flavors arising later on. The leaf is very large and is pretty durable for a huangpian. Later steeping reflect a sweet dark fruit taste. This brew lasts for quite some time, but it was a little to dry for my tastes. This is a typical run of the mill Menghai Shu. It wasn’t terrible, but it was nothing too impressive.

Flavors: Clay, Drying, Earth, Leather, Red Fruits, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
Zennenn

This is my first ripe puerh and I was nodding my head at your every description! Thank you for putting my impressions into words.

Quick Review, Via Dark Matter 2016

I had had this tea for two days. Despite my attempt to write whilst drinking, I had spent a majority of the first session reading a book. The second session was spent on the phone with school and preparing games for my students’ last day of school….However, as always, I had written a few words on a piece of scrap paper.

Light, woody, wet earth, reminds me of the Fall season (I’ll have to remember to grab some of this then), and a touch of hay(?).

Now, the first day, the tea seemed to be pretty light in flavor and color.

Yet, on the second day (longer steeps), I could look at the liquid and say that I thought it looked like coffee (but it hadn’t tasted nor smelled like coffee. Heh) because it was so dark.

Overall, it was pretty good. Not the absolute favorite of the group, but I was happy to have it for two days.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Wet Earth, Wood