Rhubarb Chai

Apple, Beet Root, Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Licorice Root
Apple, Artificial, Ginger, Licorice, Rhubarb, Spicy, Sweet, Tart, Tangy
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “Ooh I'm super excited for this tea. I love rhubarb, and I love chai, and on top of that, I had a charcuterie board the other day with the most amazing picked, gingery rhubarb on it, and the smell...” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 165 tasting notes
  • “Such a girly tea! I get lazy sometimes and just warm my water in the microwave because it's faster than taking out the kettle and the tea is just the right temperature when it's ready. Well, i've...” Read full tasting note
    star_firechild 4 tasting notes
  • “This was one I bought on impulse a few weeks back because I was curious. And it was Mothers day. :P And this is a strange one! It's mostly ginger and cinnamon, with a bit of fruit, and then a...” Read full tasting note
    cavocorax 1694 tasting notes
  • “I tried this about a month ago but I am just getting around to logging it now! The colour of this tea is a very vibrant pink. Immediately, the slight spice is apparent. This tea was good, however...” Read full tasting note
    MooKiwi 158 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Mom’s the word

Really want to wow mom this Mother’s Day? Reach for this limited edition fruit and spice blend. It combines sweet apple, beet and licorice root with zingy rhubarb and spicy ginger and cinnamon. Not to mention a kick of energizing black tea. Tangy, fruity and totally addictive, this complex chai is the perfect pick-me-up, either hot or over ice. And packed with natural healers like ginger and cinnamon, it’s pretty darn healthy, to boot. Our favourite part? It brews a beautiful bright pink. Ooh mama.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

Ooh I’m super excited for this tea. I love rhubarb, and I love chai, and on top of that, I had a charcuterie board the other day with the most amazing picked, gingery rhubarb on it, and the smell of this is reminiscent of that.

I steeped for four minutes and the liquor is a gorgeous deep pink. It smells strongly of ginger with rhubarb tartness and some sweet and spicy fragrances as well. First sip was a little too mild, so the basket is going back in for another three minutes – I tend to prefer my chais steeped long and strong.

At seven minutes, I’m getting a hint of tartness, but far less than I would expect from a rhubarb tea, with a bit of apple and lots of ginger and licorice. I don’t think I really taste the black tea at all. I added less than a tsp of sugar, but I think with the sweetness of the licorice even that was a bit too much. There’s a bit of taste on the finish that I’m not wild about, that reminds me of stevia, but I don’t think there’s any of that in here.

I’m quite liking this cup, and I think I’d like this tea even more with less sugar, and a steep time somewhere between 4 and 7 minutes.

Flavors: Apple, Artificial, Ginger, Licorice, Rhubarb, Spicy, Sweet, Tart

Such a girly tea! I get lazy sometimes and just warm my water in the microwave because it’s faster than taking out the kettle and the tea is just the right temperature when it’s ready. Well, i’ve tried Hot Mama 4 times already and this tea tastes immensely better with boiled water from the kettle. The sweet licorice note comes through here. I think this tea would actually taste better iced. Despite it being a decent tea, I don’t find it all too memorable. Can’t wait to finish off this 100g canister (must stop purchasing fancy tins).

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Tangy

And this is a strange one! It’s mostly ginger and cinnamon, with a bit of fruit, and then a lingering coolness at the end of the ship from the licorice. So odd. But not bad? I’m enjoying it, and I won’t mind finishing the rest of this 20g pack.

Would I buy more? Meh. Now that my curiosity has been sated, I’m ready to move on!

ETA: 1500th tasting note!

Courtney

1500 yay!

caile

Yay!!

whatshesaid

Wow 1500!! Go you!

mj

Ok, total noob question here: Where can you see how many tasting notes you’ve posted? I know I can find out if I click on a tea that I’ve reviewed and then search for my review (which is usually way way buried). But I was wondering if there was an easier way?

VariaTEA

Congrats on 1500!!

Virginia

mj1851, click on Dashboard in the “You” section. You’ll see your picture on the right of the page with all your stats underneath :)

mj

Wow. My keen powers of observation are astounding. Just call me Sherlock. embarrassed

OMGsrsly

Woohoo 1500!

I tried this about a month ago but I am just getting around to logging it now! The colour of this tea is a very vibrant pink. Immediately, the slight spice is apparent. This tea was good, however not great- and not memorable. I would recommend you give it a try but it was really nothing overly special.

I got this tea for Mother’s Day. I am spending a sunny day with my beautiful daughter and loving husband. And it’s wonderful!
Not sure what I think about this tea though. I have a tin of it now, so I will try it again sometime and write a proper review.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms on here!

This was a free sample I tried in the store during our anniversary getaway weekend to NYC. It was a bit weak, and I mostly tasted ginger. Overall, I wasn’t overly impressed. I think DAVIDsTEA should make candles. The dry leaf aroma of their teas is always so mouthwatering and spot-on whatever they’re going for. Has anyone smelled the new Apple Pie or Blueberry Pancake blends? Those smell soooo amazing! But I’ve repeatedly found that their teas brew up weak, especially when I can’t control the water to leaf ratio myself. Anyway, I have a request from one of your amazing Steepsterites.

Does anyone live near a DAVIDsTEA? I saw this flowery mug (https://www.flickr.com/photos/96132028@N08/14102926131/) and figured I’d buy it online so I didn’t have to carry it around the city. But it doesn’t appear to be on their website. Would anyone be willing to buy it for me? I’d obviously pay for the mug and the shipping, and I’ll even send you some tea to make it worth your while. Please let me know ASAP because I think it’s only in stores through Mother’s Day. I’d really really appreciate it!

keychange

I’ll be going to a david’s tea this upcoming Wednesday, and can check to see if they have it. Do you know by any chance what it’s called? Was it the pink dalia perfect mug or something like that?

CHAroma

Oooh, thank you! Just sent you a PM. :)

A little bit spicy and warming yet comforting all at the same. A fitting description of a mother and a fitting description of this tea. I picked this one up in the specialty tin and have enjoyed each cup of the delicious brew. As it is one of their rarities I have been rationing it as well. Much like I do for their Cherry Blossom tea blend. If you have this one I recommend trying it iced for the Summer as the flavor notes will make for a nice cooling effect on the body after a long day out on the trails/beach. Cheers!

I bought this on a whim to give it a shot (fully prepared to be gifting it to friends). I can not believe how much I love it! I am not a chai or a ginger fan, but this seems to hit the perfect sweet spot of spicy yet still truly a fruit based tea.

The ginger is the strongest note, backed up by a tart fruity note (possibly the rhubarb?). The overall brew is actually fairly sweet and you can taste the licorice in the end note of the sip.

This is a complicated tea, it is definitely part spicy chai and part fruit infusion. I think it is one of those things you can either really get behind or you really dislike. Surprisingly, for me, I really, really like it. It is the first chai in a long time that I have really truly enjoyed!

When I heard about this tea, I knew I just had to try it! Rhubarb AND ginger? SOLD!

Once brewed the tea is a bright reddish pink colour and smells amazing – like tart rhubarb and spices. The taste is pretty pleasant, though I’m not sure it’s really distinctly like rhubarb or ginger – more just generally fruity and with some mix of spices. The one thing I couldn’t get past unfortunately is that I found there was an odd aftertaste just at the end, almost like an artificial sweetener? I’m not sure what it is, but it’s put me off buying any more of this tea, even though overall it doesn’t taste bad.

Morgan Madsen Saumer

I believe the odd aftertaste might be the licorice root. I find it leaves a weird aspartame-y taste.

petithelene

That could very well be it! I didn’t think there was anything actually added to it like aspartame or stevia, yet I could still taste that sickly-sweet aftertaste… so it probably is the licorice root. Thanks!

This was sampling at my local DT yesterday when I went in, and I didn’t have enough of it to truly taste, I don’t think. That said, I did enjoy the spicy flavour – I seem to have a thing for ginger and or/chai-inspired teas right now – odd, considering that this is supposed to be spring. Oh well!