Rhubarb Chai

Apple, Beet Root, Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Licorice Root
Apple, Berry, Cinnamon, Fruity, Licorice, Artificial, Ginger, Rhubarb, Spicy, Sweet, Tart, Tangy
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

From DAVIDsTEA

Mom’s the word

Really want to wow mom this Mother’s Day? Reach for this limited edition fruit and spice blend. It combines sweet apple, beet and licorice root with zingy rhubarb and spicy ginger and cinnamon. Not to mention a kick of energizing black tea. Tangy, fruity and totally addictive, this complex chai is the perfect pick-me-up, either hot or over ice. And packed with natural healers like ginger and cinnamon, it’s pretty darn healthy, to boot. Our favourite part? It brews a beautiful bright pink. Ooh mama.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

WHY DOES EVERYTHING TASTE LIKE LICORICE?

Bleh bleh bleh ptoo ptoo ptoo

I just want a tasty chai that doesn’t coat your throat in licorice. The apple and the beetroot gave this a bit of sweetness, but I didn’t taste any of the other chai spices. Only so much licorice.

This is tasty. But it also tastes like a funky cough syrup. Hey, I’ve got a cough, though, so it’s all good.

I don’t think this is one I’ll get any more of.

dragondrool

I hope you’re better soon!

I love rhubarb! so much tasty in rhubarb.
So it was a no brainer for me to try this tea. At first I enjoyed it, moderately. It was sweet and a bit spicy, and it actually did taste like rhubarb! kinda.
Then it cooled and became sickeningly sweet, and I think the licorice popped out more and oh goodness… I had to throw out the rest of my cup. My free cup though, that they gave me for promoting tea :P
(handing out tea festival fliers)

I’m partial to chai tea so this was an easy sell for me. This is a fruity chai, not too sour, not too sweet, feeling very natural in its flavoring. You feel the licorice root at the back of each sip, and flavors like apple and rhubarb balance out any tough bitterness or astringency from the black tea. I will say that this is not a very spicy chai, light on cloves an ginger, but it is sort of pie-like with cinnamon and fruit. Definitely worth it as a cup of the day today.

Flavors: Apple, Berry, Cinnamon, Fruity, Licorice

I decided to try a cup of this today after my aunt graciously offered to buy me a cup. It’s very fruity, rounded out by the taste and feel of the spices.
It tastes very comfortable and makes me think of coziness and home, but it doesn’t really make me think of rhubarb. The main fruit that I really get is apple; it’s not tart or, well, rhubarby enough to live up to the name.
Still, it is delicious and I definitely think that I will have to get more of this for my home collection soon.

So what they say about not judging a book by its cover is probably a good lesson. Well, definitely a good lesson – but yeah, I was reminded of it by this tea. When it was still being called Hot Mamma I had no interest in it, but now that it’s Rhubarb Chai I was apparently intrigued enough to get it To Go.

But some likely needless backstory first; after I got my cab I went to the big mall downtown since I hadn’t been since the Transit Lockout started and there were several things I needed to do such as go to the bank and withdraw rent, mail some tea stuff to people at the post office, and of course make a trip to DAVIDsTEA. I ended up walking away with a good haul:

- 70g Mulberry Magic
- 50g Gold Rush
- 20g Ginger Pear
- 20g Garcinia Goodness
- 10g Pumpkin Patch
- 10g Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Rhubarb Chai TO GO

And then, because I spent over $30 I also got a free Iconic Canvas bag. It’s pretty nice quality, and even though it’s pretty well just free DT advertising, I like DT and will likely use it for a work bag. I also wanted to get a sample of Poached Pear and 50g of Cocoa Canela but my store had neither. Also, I was initially gonna do Pumpkin Cheesecake as a latte but my store’s fridge was broken so they had no milk on hand to make a latte. This was the back up choice – picked it because I like rhubarb but it was still out of my comfort zone what with the ginger and chai elements.

The initial taste was very present and distinct ginger but it wasn’t unsettling – just powerful. That faded into a fruity rhubarb flavour similar to the rhubarb in Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait, but highly sweetened with licorice root. I like licorice root, but it’d likely be way too much for someone who doesn’t. The licorice root lingers long after the end of the sip.

Definitely a sweeter dessert Chai, and I liked it. No way I’d stock up, but I’d certainly drink it again if I was offered some.

albertocanfly

Why is there a Transit Lockout going on?

Roswell Strange

The transit Union workers contracts expired, and the Union and the city couldn’t reach an agreement for a new contract – so to pressure the Union into accepting a smaller wage/benefits increase the city locked them out during the negotiation process. It’s been about two weeks since the lockout began, and there’s no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

albertocanfly

Oh, gosh….>.

VariaTEA

Don’t worry, you have a sample of poached pear coming in the mail or at least you will when I drop the package off later today

I picked this up again to sample, since the first time I got it I ruined it with too much sugar, and the next sample I picked up I ended up swapping.

This time, no sugar. I kind of wish it was a little sweeter, but then the tiny amount I added last time was still way too much with the licorice.

I don’t recall this too clearly, except that there was a lot of licorice, some ginger and tart, and I liked it. The colour is intense pink – really lovely and not hibiscus!

I’ll have to pay more attention with my next cup. I might buy this again but I don’t think I really need it.

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Tart

Such a girly tea! I get lazy sometimes and just warm my water in the microwave because it’s faster than taking out the kettle and the tea is just the right temperature when it’s ready. Well, i’ve tried Hot Mama 4 times already and this tea tastes immensely better with boiled water from the kettle. The sweet licorice note comes through here. I think this tea would actually taste better iced. Despite it being a decent tea, I don’t find it all too memorable. Can’t wait to finish off this 100g canister (must stop purchasing fancy tins).

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Tangy

This was one I bought on impulse a few weeks back because I was curious. And it was Mothers day. :P

And this is a strange one! It’s mostly ginger and cinnamon, with a bit of fruit, and then a lingering coolness at the end of the ship from the licorice. So odd. But not bad? I’m enjoying it, and I won’t mind finishing the rest of this 20g pack.

Would I buy more? Meh. Now that my curiosity has been sated, I’m ready to move on!

ETA: 1500th tasting note!

Courtney

1500 yay!

caile

Yay!!

whatshesaid

Wow 1500!! Go you!

mj

Ok, total noob question here: Where can you see how many tasting notes you’ve posted? I know I can find out if I click on a tea that I’ve reviewed and then search for my review (which is usually way way buried). But I was wondering if there was an easier way?

VariaTEA

Congrats on 1500!!

Virginia

mj1851, click on Dashboard in the “You” section. You’ll see your picture on the right of the page with all your stats underneath :)

mj

Wow. My keen powers of observation are astounding. Just call me Sherlock. embarrassed

OMGsrsly

Woohoo 1500!

I tried this about a month ago but I am just getting around to logging it now! The colour of this tea is a very vibrant pink. Immediately, the slight spice is apparent. This tea was good, however not great- and not memorable. I would recommend you give it a try but it was really nothing overly special.