Rhubarb Chai

Apple, Beet Root, Black Tea, Cinnamon, Ginger, Licorice Root
Apple, Artificial, Ginger, Licorice, Rhubarb, Spicy, Sweet, Tart, Tangy
Medium
Edit tea info Last updated by DAVIDsTEA

• “I decided to try a cup of this today after my aunt graciously offered to buy me a cup. It's very fruity, rounded out by the taste and feel of the spices. It tastes very comfortable and makes me...” Read full tasting note
    C-chan 291 tasting notes
  • “So what they say about not judging a book by its cover is probably a good lesson. Well, definitely a good lesson - but yeah, I was reminded of it by this tea. When it was still being called Hot...” Read full tasting note
    roswellstrange 2183 tasting notes
  • “I picked this up again to sample, since the first time I got it I ruined it with too much sugar, and the next sample I picked up I ended up swapping. This time, no sugar. I kind of wish it was a...” Read full tasting note
    Anlina 396 tasting notes
  • “Such a girly tea! I get lazy sometimes and just warm my water in the microwave because it's faster than taking out the kettle and the tea is just the right temperature when it's ready. Well, i've...” Read full tasting note
    star_firechild 4 tasting notes

From DAVIDsTEA

Mom’s the word

Really want to wow mom this Mother’s Day? Reach for this limited edition fruit and spice blend. It combines sweet apple, beet and licorice root with zingy rhubarb and spicy ginger and cinnamon. Not to mention a kick of energizing black tea. Tangy, fruity and totally addictive, this complex chai is the perfect pick-me-up, either hot or over ice. And packed with natural healers like ginger and cinnamon, it’s pretty darn healthy, to boot. Our favourite part? It brews a beautiful bright pink. Ooh mama.

About DAVIDsTEA View company

I decided to try a cup of this today after my aunt graciously offered to buy me a cup. It’s very fruity, rounded out by the taste and feel of the spices.
It tastes very comfortable and makes me think of coziness and home, but it doesn’t really make me think of rhubarb. The main fruit that I really get is apple; it’s not tart or, well, rhubarby enough to live up to the name.
Still, it is delicious and I definitely think that I will have to get more of this for my home collection soon.

So what they say about not judging a book by its cover is probably a good lesson. Well, definitely a good lesson – but yeah, I was reminded of it by this tea. When it was still being called Hot Mamma I had no interest in it, but now that it’s Rhubarb Chai I was apparently intrigued enough to get it To Go.

But some likely needless backstory first; after I got my cab I went to the big mall downtown since I hadn’t been since the Transit Lockout started and there were several things I needed to do such as go to the bank and withdraw rent, mail some tea stuff to people at the post office, and of course make a trip to DAVIDsTEA. I ended up walking away with a good haul:

- 70g Mulberry Magic
- 50g Gold Rush
- 20g Ginger Pear
- 20g Garcinia Goodness
- 10g Pumpkin Patch
- 10g Pumpkin Cheesecake
- Rhubarb Chai TO GO

And then, because I spent over $30 I also got a free Iconic Canvas bag. It’s pretty nice quality, and even though it’s pretty well just free DT advertising, I like DT and will likely use it for a work bag. I also wanted to get a sample of Poached Pear and 50g of Cocoa Canela but my store had neither. Also, I was initially gonna do Pumpkin Cheesecake as a latte but my store’s fridge was broken so they had no milk on hand to make a latte. This was the back up choice – picked it because I like rhubarb but it was still out of my comfort zone what with the ginger and chai elements.

The initial taste was very present and distinct ginger but it wasn’t unsettling – just powerful. That faded into a fruity rhubarb flavour similar to the rhubarb in Strawberry Rhubarb Parfait, but highly sweetened with licorice root. I like licorice root, but it’d likely be way too much for someone who doesn’t. The licorice root lingers long after the end of the sip.

Definitely a sweeter dessert Chai, and I liked it. No way I’d stock up, but I’d certainly drink it again if I was offered some.

albertocanfly

Why is there a Transit Lockout going on?

Roswell Strange

The transit Union workers contracts expired, and the Union and the city couldn’t reach an agreement for a new contract – so to pressure the Union into accepting a smaller wage/benefits increase the city locked them out during the negotiation process. It’s been about two weeks since the lockout began, and there’s no sign of it letting up anytime soon.

albertocanfly

Oh, gosh….>.< I really hope for the sake of all commuters that it ends soon!

VariaTEA

Don’t worry, you have a sample of poached pear coming in the mail or at least you will when I drop the package off later today

This time, no sugar. I kind of wish it was a little sweeter, but then the tiny amount I added last time was still way too much with the licorice.

I don’t recall this too clearly, except that there was a lot of licorice, some ginger and tart, and I liked it. The colour is intense pink – really lovely and not hibiscus!

I’ll have to pay more attention with my next cup. I might buy this again but I don’t think I really need it.

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Tart

Such a girly tea! I get lazy sometimes and just warm my water in the microwave because it’s faster than taking out the kettle and the tea is just the right temperature when it’s ready. Well, i’ve tried Hot Mama 4 times already and this tea tastes immensely better with boiled water from the kettle. The sweet licorice note comes through here. I think this tea would actually taste better iced. Despite it being a decent tea, I don’t find it all too memorable. Can’t wait to finish off this 100g canister (must stop purchasing fancy tins).

Flavors: Ginger, Licorice, Tangy

This was one I bought on impulse a few weeks back because I was curious. And it was Mothers day. :P

And this is a strange one! It’s mostly ginger and cinnamon, with a bit of fruit, and then a lingering coolness at the end of the ship from the licorice. So odd. But not bad? I’m enjoying it, and I won’t mind finishing the rest of this 20g pack.

Would I buy more? Meh. Now that my curiosity has been sated, I’m ready to move on!

ETA: 1500th tasting note!

Courtney

1500 yay!

caile

Yay!!

whatshesaid

Wow 1500!! Go you!

mj

Ok, total noob question here: Where can you see how many tasting notes you’ve posted? I know I can find out if I click on a tea that I’ve reviewed and then search for my review (which is usually way way buried). But I was wondering if there was an easier way?

VariaTEA

Congrats on 1500!!

Virginia

mj1851, click on Dashboard in the “You” section. You’ll see your picture on the right of the page with all your stats underneath :)

mj

Wow. My keen powers of observation are astounding. Just call me Sherlock. embarrassed

OMGsrsly

Woohoo 1500!

I tried this about a month ago but I am just getting around to logging it now! The colour of this tea is a very vibrant pink. Immediately, the slight spice is apparent. This tea was good, however not great- and not memorable. I would recommend you give it a try but it was really nothing overly special.

I got this tea for Mother’s Day. I am spending a sunny day with my beautiful daughter and loving husband. And it’s wonderful!
Not sure what I think about this tea though. I have a tin of it now, so I will try it again sometime and write a proper review.
Happy Mother’s Day to all the moms on here!

This was a free sample I tried in the store during our anniversary getaway weekend to NYC. It was a bit weak, and I mostly tasted ginger. Overall, I wasn’t overly impressed. I think DAVIDsTEA should make candles. The dry leaf aroma of their teas is always so mouthwatering and spot-on whatever they’re going for. Has anyone smelled the new Apple Pie or Blueberry Pancake blends? Those smell soooo amazing! But I’ve repeatedly found that their teas brew up weak, especially when I can’t control the water to leaf ratio myself. Anyway, I have a request from one of your amazing Steepsterites.

Does anyone live near a DAVIDsTEA? I saw this flowery mug (https://www.flickr.com/photos/96132028@N08/14102926131/) and figured I’d buy it online so I didn’t have to carry it around the city. But it doesn’t appear to be on their website. Would anyone be willing to buy it for me? I’d obviously pay for the mug and the shipping, and I’ll even send you some tea to make it worth your while. Please let me know ASAP because I think it’s only in stores through Mother’s Day. I’d really really appreciate it!

keychange

I’ll be going to a david’s tea this upcoming Wednesday, and can check to see if they have it. Do you know by any chance what it’s called? Was it the pink dalia perfect mug or something like that?

CHAroma

Oooh, thank you! Just sent you a PM. :)

A little bit spicy and warming yet comforting all at the same. A fitting description of a mother and a fitting description of this tea. I picked this one up in the specialty tin and have enjoyed each cup of the delicious brew. As it is one of their rarities I have been rationing it as well. Much like I do for their Cherry Blossom tea blend. If you have this one I recommend trying it iced for the Summer as the flavor notes will make for a nice cooling effect on the body after a long day out on the trails/beach. Cheers!

I bought this on a whim to give it a shot (fully prepared to be gifting it to friends). I can not believe how much I love it! I am not a chai or a ginger fan, but this seems to hit the perfect sweet spot of spicy yet still truly a fruit based tea.

The ginger is the strongest note, backed up by a tart fruity note (possibly the rhubarb?). The overall brew is actually fairly sweet and you can taste the licorice in the end note of the sip.

This is a complicated tea, it is definitely part spicy chai and part fruit infusion. I think it is one of those things you can either really get behind or you really dislike. Surprisingly, for me, I really, really like it. It is the first chai in a long time that I have really truly enjoyed!