Gyokuro Asahina

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaEqualsBliss

From Drink The Leaf

We are excited about this new selection. Gyokuro means “Jewel Dew”. The dried leaf is almost aqua-green in color, extremely bright and inviting. After infusion, the liqueur reveals a bright Chartreuse color. The aroma is intriguing; with a hint of citrus and fresh cut grass, and a mild flowery note. On the palate it’s smooth with a natural sweetness. Flavors of toasted hazelnut or Nori seaweed comes to mind. Try this tea, and treat yourself to a jewel.

About Drink The Leaf View company

Thank you to TeaEqualsBliss for sending me some of this fabulous tea to try.

I love Gyokuro! I love the beautiful, vivid green leaves. I love the fresh, vegetative aroma, I love the flavor that is slightly nutty and sweet and vegetative. I love that it only takes 45 seconds to infuse the leaves. I love Gyokuro!

This is an excellent Gyokuro. The flavor is smooth and delicious. Delightful. YUM.

Smells toasty and vegetal.
I can taste the hazelnut comparison and it is very earthy tasting as well.
This is pretty good.

The hint of citrus comes thru in the aftertaste…neat!

toast, vegetal, hazelnut, and lemon? Weird combo!

Seems to work tho! LOL

As it cools I am liking it most…

…I mean more…lol…WOW! Typo’s!

I just received a huge, generous batch of samples from LiberTEAS (thanks again!!) and this one jumped right out as being special. I’ve never seen a tea so green and uniform. I imagined the harvester using tiny nail clippers to individually collect just the smallest tip of each leaf.

The fragrance is clean, slightly grassy and briny. I even picked up subtle notes of sesame. Once prepared, the sesame rises to the top and this acquires a toasted oat background.

The tea brews to be relatively pale but has a substantial heartiness. It’s slightly vegetative with a bit of kelp and finishes with a mildly sweet toasted sesame. The cooling cup works towards a honey finish.

What was really unexpected was the overall body of the tea. For a green tea, it has a very rich, almost buttery mouth feel. In just a few cups, this has moved into the top tier of my green tea list.