Tsui Yu Jade Oolong

Oolong Tea
Butter, Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet

Available from 1 seller.

• “They did a quick fix so I can add my review to the proper place here, yay! Steepster is pretty great sometimes. (: So, sorry for the redundancy. This tea is wonderful. I have this weird kitchen...” Read full tasting note
    ifjuly 613 tasting notes
  • “Last night and most of today my internet was dead, turns out something was off with my wifi modem and it needed updating (or reinstalling…my much more tech-savvy sweetheart fixed it) before...” Read full tasting note
    SoggyEnderman 536 tasting notes
  • “Just to put this in context, this is a terrific tea, and if you like the greener end of oolongs, you’ll love it. Really. BUT, I’ve had far too many really...” Read full tasting note
    Flowery 142 tasting notes
  • “Dry Leaves: The shape is interesting, they are rolled smaller than a normal oolong and a little flattened, almost like an oval with a flattish bottom and rounded top. They had a light floral aroma...” Read full tasting note
    RahRahSan 39 tasting notes

From Eco-Cha Artisan Teas

This batch of tea leaves comes from the most active tea maker and merchant we know. This man enters virtually every oolong tea competition in Taiwan, including the largest and most prestigious oolong tea competition in the world. He consistently achieves high ratings in all of these competitions. He is a highly motivated, intelligent and progressive individual – making him an exemplary figure in his field.

Flavor: Herbal, flowery tones. Green leafy, savory herb flavor. Refreshing, floral finish. This selection makes an especially flavorful cold brew tea.

Garden: This artisan consistently achieves high ratings in virtually every oolong tea competition in Taiwan, including the largest oolong tea competition in the world. He employs farming methods that use no chemical fertilizers or weed killers, and only minimal pesticides.

Harvest: Machine cut. Medium batch.

Elevation: 400m

About Eco-Cha Artisan Teas View company

So, sorry for the redundancy. This tea is wonderful. I have this weird kitchen set-up where when the dishwasher’s on I can’t use my electric kettle (shorts the electricity) nor use the kitchen sink as a water source (our dishwasher hooks up to the faucet…I knew that’d be a huge pain and begged my husband to bother connecting it directly to the water tank but he wouldn’t, so here we are :b). This gets really annoying this time of year when by the time I have a guaranteed free moment for some real tea time right after dinner it’s hard because the dishwasher needs to be on doing the day’s load. I think I’ve figured out a decent solution for now though—I prewarm my king thermos and then fill it with the right temp water from my electric kettle, seal it nice and tight, get out the gaiwan and a tea meant for resteeping (so oolong or green usually), and then turn on the washer. As it does its thing I have a little private gongfu session. Very nice!

Anyway, got this as part of Eco Cha’s recent promotion. The site directions for gongfu brewing are kind of confusingly unusual, so I didn’t follow them exactly but did what I’m used to doing (quick rinse, more leaf and less water, short steeping times, a bit cooler than boiling). Figured if it wasn’t optimal and I should follow their directions I have enough left to do so. But I was pleased with my setup—the first few cups yielded a marvelous true-fresh-flower fragrance, a little like jasmine but also like honeysuckle or summer flowers. Remarkable stuff, not unlike some of Verdant’s best spring offerings (Hand-Picked Early Spring Tieguanyin, White Jasmine). The flavor is sweet and clean and slightly herbal, smelling a bit like clean hay as the flower scent tapers off. Eco Cha mentions this is great cold steeped, and I can definitely see that—it has a lot of the qualities the tastiest cold steeped green teas I had this summer (like Bilochun Green) have. It edges towards grassy as it cools, but the sweetness and true-flower aroma make that pleasant. In the middle of winter this is a fantastic way to transport yourself to a warm sunny field out in the country on a late spring or early summer day. This is a spectacular tea that merits the hype of the company’s copy. The price is quite reasonable considering the quality too—under $4 an ounce or (if I’m calculating right) about $1 a session.

Bonnie

Can’t you plug in your kettle in another room? I’ve taken mine all sorts of places to share tea with people. (Actually I have a spare)
You shouldn’t get a short if it’s plugged in another room.

ifjuly

our ganky apartment is very old/rundown and there’s not many outlets, and in rooms besides the kitchen they’re all low to the ground and most aren’t three pronged (which the kettle plug is, and the cord is very short as kettle cords tend to be for some reason). so i guess hypothetically i could, but it’d involve putting the kettle on the hardwood floor behind, like, a couch or something. ha.

keychange

I just love how I’m not the only person to figure out really creative systems to deal with my life’s setup. Like, if I put my tea here, and the kettle here, and fill it to this point, and then add the cream in last, and then bring the wire around this way, and stare at it for exactly three and a half minutes, and use one ice cube and and and…LOL.

oh i’m glad that they fixed the issue with this companies teas

Last night and most of today my internet was dead, turns out something was off with my wifi modem and it needed updating (or reinstalling…my much more tech-savvy sweetheart fixed it) before it was on speaking terms with the internet again. It was harrowing, I felt so cut off from the world, so I spent the time without the internet tasting new teas and playing Terraria, with intermittent mini Hama bead sorting (that is going to take forever!!!) it turned out to be a good day. To celebrate the return of the internet, here is a review of a Taiwanese tea.

Tsui Yu Jade Oolong by Eco-Cha Artisan Teas is an unroasted Oolong grown at 400m, which is fairly low allowing for machine harvesting, I suggest checking out the origin tab on their website for all the details on how this tea is harvested, it is fascinating! Tsui Yu Jade is also known as Kingfisher Jade, or Formosa Tea No.13. The aroma of this tea is sweet and herbaceous with a warm, yeasty undertone. The aroma reminds me of baking herb bread with a finishing hint of nuttiness that is very faint.

Once I steep the leaves however the tone becomes intensely vegetal with undertones of sage and a lingering sweetness that ends becomes heady as I pulled the steeped leaves away from my nose. It is one of those teas that when I take the lid off of my gaiwan to enjoy the aroma it wafts out and fills the room. The liquid after pouring it into my cup is herbaceous and sweet with faint floral tones.

The first steep is nutty and mild, the taste is green like fresh vegetation but fades into mellow sweetness. The mouthfeel is pleasantly smooth. This steep is mild and subtle, a good initiation to what promises to be a complex tea. The flavors and aromas reminds me of the first warm day of early spring.

The second steep is, as predicted, more complex. The aroma of the leaves is savory herbs, primarily sage with a hint of thyme fading into fresh vegetation. The aroma of the liquid is honey sweet with sage undertones. The taste is incredibly smooth and herbaceous, there are notes of fresh vegetation that fades into floral notes of hyacinth with an aftertaste of sweetness. I really like how this tea starts of savory and fades into floral sweet.

The third steep’s leaves are almost primarily herbaceous with an after aroma of orchid. The liquid’s aroma is heady and sweet. The taste is at first honey sweet with a buttery mouthfeel that fades into vegetal tones, primarily the note of green beans and a hint of spinach. The midtaste is sage and it fades into a floral aftertaste. This tea takes you on a journey of flavor starting herbal and vegetal and moving to floral and sweet, it is like an adventure in my mouth!

For blog and photos: http://ramblingbutterflythoughts.blogspot.com/2014/01/eco-cha-artisan-tea-tsui-yu-jade-oolong.html

ifjuly

i loved this one!

Just to put this in context, this is a terrific tea, and if you like the greener end of oolongs, you’ll love it. Really. BUT, I’ve had far too many really gorgeous oolongs lately, and this one doesn’t cut it in tough company. Maybe it’s a little too light for my tastes, since I like a good body in all my teas, but it’s a nice, light, vegetal flavor with, oddly enough, a smoky overtone (very light – and more in taste than in character, if that makes any sense at all). I’m following it up with another cup of Eco-Cha’s Shan Li Xin High Mountain Concubine, and it’s making me quite a bit happier.

Dry Leaves: The shape is interesting, they are rolled smaller than a normal oolong and a little flattened, almost like an oval with a flattish bottom and rounded top. They had a light floral aroma and a stronger rosemary scent.

First Steeping
Temperature: Boiling
Brewing Time: One Minute
Aroma: Mostly Vegetal, Fresh Sage
Flavor: Mostly Nutty, Green Beans, slight bitterness
Tasting Notes: I was surprised by the sage aroma; I have not encountered any Taiwanese oolongs, or any oolong for the matter, which have herb scents. I am rather fond of sage so I immediately knew I was going to like this tea.

Second Steeping
Temperature: 190oF
Brewing Time: Two Minutes
Aroma: Vegetal, Cooked Sage, Rosemary and Thyme
Flavor: Nutty, Spinach. Floral and Honey
Tasting Notes: I love how savory yet sweet this tea smells! This is very smooth and easy to drink. Right now it is a nice mix of savory and sweet, I like savory scents and flavors more so then sweet. This is very balanced so if you love savory teas and hate sweet ones (or vice-versa) you’ll probably not like this. I happen to like both and find this to be a perfect balance between the two.

Third Steeping
Temperature: 190oF
Brewing Time: Three Minutes
Aroma: Orchid and Honey
Flavor: Green Beans, Spinach, Nutty, Honey and Sage
Tasting Notes: I was sad to see the savory scents disappear, but the taste became more prominently savory at this point (although in later steepings, it wavered back in forth between sweet and savory). Although I could finely taste the sage I’ve smelled in the tea.

I liked this tea and it isn’t that expensive, only $7 for 38 grams. It had a nice mouthfeel, a little thicker than similar Taiwanese oolongs grown at 400 meters above sea level, but not as thick as a proper high mountain oolong. I’d definitely buy this tea when I run out, as I said before I have not encountered any oolong with a nice herbaceous aroma or taste and I am quite fond of this flavor/taste. While I adore floral oolongs, herbaceous teas are something of a rarity for me; I can often find herby tastes in Japanese greens. I was surprised at how long this tea lasted, for the price I was expecting it to last maybe six or seven steepings, but I got thirteen whooping steepings out of the leaves and while it started to lose its complexity around the tenth steeping and become distinctly nutty, it was interesting enough to continue on. This is a great value for the price.

More at http://rah-tea.blogspot.com/2014/11/eco-chas-tsui-yu-jade-oolong.html

A very pretty, big perfect full leafed oolong! Tsui Yu gong fu steeped dances in between notes of savory, buttery, sweet, steamed vegetal (green bean) and floral (butter cup, orchid) with a lovely silky body. Each sip tastes super clean and fresh.

Full review on my blog, The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/tsui-yu-jade-oolong/

In the end, I quite liked this jade oolong, however it tasted more of a tea I’d enjoy in the Spring.

This Jade oolong is my afternoon tea today. Very vegetal, almost grassy with a hint of citrus. It leaves very clear and cool aftertaste, almost in a way that mint does, which also makes it very refreshing. It’s kind of hot out there today, so this works great, even though it’s warm. I bet it would also work great iced but as it is now I am trying to “get rid of” teas I care less about by cold brewing them for work. This tea I definitely care more about, so… it stays as a refreshing but hot drink!

The reason I don’t rate it higher is because I consider jade oolongs to be a little too… unsophisticated in general, although this one is definitely the most sophisticated of the ones I’ve tried. Good stuff!

Backlog:

A really lovely Oolong! I can’t say that I had tried a Tsui Yu Oolong before I tried this one, but this one was absolutely lovely.

You can read about my different infusions and my experiences with those infusions here: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/05/09/tsui-yu-jade-oolong-tea-from-eco-cha/

Eco Cha is one of my favorite companies because the teas stand out to me as being top-notch. This is a remarkable Oolong and one that should be explored! I highly recommend it.

My 100th tasting note!! And Happy St. Patrick’s Day!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I chose this Jade Oolong for St. Patrick Green!!!
The dry leaves are very green, tightly rolled with stems and smell of creamy butter!!
The liquor has a subtle floral scent and lots of buttery notes as well.
The flavor is flowery and creamy. Though it is herbal and floral dominant, there is no astringency which really is impressive. There is a tiny hint of bitter but I don’t mind bitter as long as it is not accompanied with tannic or astringent qualities. This is a very good example of an unroasted oolong.

Flavors: Butter, Flowers