Lover's Leap

Ceylon Black Tea
Lemon
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Harney & Sons

Lover’s Leap is made at one of the prettiest gardens in the world. High in central Sri Lanka, is the old tea town of Nuwara Eliya. Here the teas are light, with hints of lemon in the cup.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I have had this tea for a really long time, and now I remember why. I don’t care for it! It is light and lemony, but it just doesn’t float my boat. It isn’t exactly astringent or bitter, though I do only give it a four minute steep. I just greatly prefer other Ceylon teas to this one. I am not a huge fan of UVA Highlands either.

We really started our tea journey drinking a lot of Ceylons, but I find that I have gravitated more toward Chinese sources when I am drinking black tea. Ah well, I can give it away knowing I gave it a fair shake!

Angrboda

If you don’t care for Uva, I’m not surprised you wouldn’t care for this one either. Given the name I strongly assume it’s a Nuwara Eliya. There’s a waterfall there called Lover’s Leap and a tea plantation of the same name. I know this because I remember my NE sample for Project Ceylon came from LL as well. (Suddenly Project Ceylon is paying off!) I went and looked at my reference map, and Uva is just a little to the east of NE, both regions producing high grown teas, 1800 meters above the surface of the sea or more, so it’s not surprising that you would find them similar. :) I wasn’t convinced by Dimbula either for partially the same reasons.

Gosh, what an info-dump… Sorry! O.o

ashmanra

Sorry? Don’t be sorry! I love it! This is what this site is all about – sharing and learning about tea! Your project Ceylon was impressive! :)

Another nice mild tea from Harney & Sons – light and a bit lemony. I think I will take 30 seconds/a minute off brewing time next pot because it was just a tad bitter.

Once again I am struck by the similarity of this Harney & Sons Lover’s Leap to darjeeling, to be more precise: first flush darjeeling. Because the dried leaves were so darjeelingy in appearance and scent, I followed my darjeeling steeping guidelines, rather than treating this Ceylon as a full-fledged black tea.

Upon infusion, the bright yellowish green liquor seems to be a vindication of the darjeeling approach, as do the torn swatches of infused green leaves!

This is a light tea, to be sure. I admit that the flavor and scent of the brewed tea itself is a bit less darjeelingy than is the scent of the dried leaves. Still, I believe that this tea could be accurately described as a Ceylon darjeelingica!

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

One of my new go-to teas at work, it appears. I am never able to predict what teas achieve that spot.

edit: Second steep is also quite nice! Mellow, not disappointing. Way to go, tea!

This tea is very light in color and has a slightly sour aroma. The flavor is lightly earthy, smooth, not very dry or bitter, perhaps even a little sweet. This tea is light enough to enjoy without milk or sugar and may even be overpowered by them.

Brisk, super brisk on first steep for 3min (I think next time I will start at 2min). Brassy liquor with lemony accents. Kinda reminds me of Irish Breakfast, this is one of the few teas I would want to drink with milk. On the second steeping I lost the lemony and picked up on some smokiness. Overall a nice afternoon tea that will wake you up and keep you going to 5:00.