Lover's Leap

Ceylon Black Tea
Lemon
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop
Boiling 3 min, 45 sec 3 g 10 oz / 295 ml

From Harney & Sons

Lover’s Leap is made at one of the prettiest gardens in the world. High in central Sri Lanka, is the old tea town of Nuwara Eliya. Here the teas are light, with hints of lemon in the cup.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I have had this tea for a really long time, and now I remember why. I don’t care for it! It is light and lemony, but it just doesn’t float my boat. It isn’t exactly astringent or bitter, though I do only give it a four minute steep. I just greatly prefer other Ceylon teas to this one. I am not a huge fan of UVA Highlands either.

We really started our tea journey drinking a lot of Ceylons, but I find that I have gravitated more toward Chinese sources when I am drinking black tea. Ah well, I can give it away knowing I gave it a fair shake!

Angrboda

If you don’t care for Uva, I’m not surprised you wouldn’t care for this one either. Given the name I strongly assume it’s a Nuwara Eliya. There’s a waterfall there called Lover’s Leap and a tea plantation of the same name. I know this because I remember my NE sample for Project Ceylon came from LL as well. (Suddenly Project Ceylon is paying off!) I went and looked at my reference map, and Uva is just a little to the east of NE, both regions producing high grown teas, 1800 meters above the surface of the sea or more, so it’s not surprising that you would find them similar. :) I wasn’t convinced by Dimbula either for partially the same reasons.

Gosh, what an info-dump… Sorry! O.o

ashmanra

Sorry? Don’t be sorry! I love it! This is what this site is all about – sharing and learning about tea! Your project Ceylon was impressive! :)

Another nice mild tea from Harney & Sons – light and a bit lemony. I think I will take 30 seconds/a minute off brewing time next pot because it was just a tad bitter.

John Harney Appreciation Tea #20

I bought a tin of this Lover’s Leap a few months ago but somehow it got lost in my cupboard. It’s easy to succumb to temptation at the H&S website because their teas are so reasonably priced!

Happy to report that this light-amber liquoring tea is very smooth and refreshing brewed hot on a warm day! It almost has a lemon accent built into it, and so tasted great au naturel (I have already finished my large glass…). The color is gorgeous: yellowish amber, and the infused leaves are torn into pieces and rather green. This is a high altitude Ceylon tea, but I find overlaps with darjeeling as well. Think: darjeeling without the grass and with a dash of lemon added. The dried leaves, too, reminded me a bit of darjeeling, which is why I kept the steep time shorter than I would for a darker black tea.

I would not think to adulterate Lover’s Leap. Its smoothness and fine flavor make this a stand-alone for me.

Flavors: Lemon

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML
mj

Your H&S stash is seriously impressive!

sherapop

Thanks mj! I’ve decided to brew up a glass of each variety as my tribute to John Harney. I have a few more to go…

One of my new go-to teas at work, it appears. I am never able to predict what teas achieve that spot.

edit: Second steep is also quite nice! Mellow, not disappointing. Way to go, tea!

This tea is very light in color and has a slightly sour aroma. The flavor is lightly earthy, smooth, not very dry or bitter, perhaps even a little sweet. This tea is light enough to enjoy without milk or sugar and may even be overpowered by them.

Brisk, super brisk on first steep for 3min (I think next time I will start at 2min). Brassy liquor with lemony accents. Kinda reminds me of Irish Breakfast, this is one of the few teas I would want to drink with milk. On the second steeping I lost the lemony and picked up on some smokiness. Overall a nice afternoon tea that will wake you up and keep you going to 5:00.