Lover's Leap

Ceylon Black Tea
Astringent, Citrus, Floral, Forest Floor, Herbs, Jasmine, Muscatel, Baked Bread, Pine, Smooth, Sweet, Lemon
High
Edit tea info Last updated by sherapop

From Harney & Sons

Lover’s Leap is made at one of the prettiest gardens in the world. High in central Sri Lanka, is the old tea town of Nuwara Eliya. Here the teas are light, with hints of lemon in the cup.

www.harney.com

About Harney & Sons View company

I have had this tea for a really long time, and now I remember why. I don’t care for it! It is light and lemony, but it just doesn’t float my boat. It isn’t exactly astringent or bitter, though I do only give it a four minute steep. I just greatly prefer other Ceylon teas to this one. I am not a huge fan of UVA Highlands either.

We really started our tea journey drinking a lot of Ceylons, but I find that I have gravitated more toward Chinese sources when I am drinking black tea. Ah well, I can give it away knowing I gave it a fair shake!

Angrboda

If you don’t care for Uva, I’m not surprised you wouldn’t care for this one either. Given the name I strongly assume it’s a Nuwara Eliya. There’s a waterfall there called Lover’s Leap and a tea plantation of the same name. I know this because I remember my NE sample for Project Ceylon came from LL as well. (Suddenly Project Ceylon is paying off!) I went and looked at my reference map, and Uva is just a little to the east of NE, both regions producing high grown teas, 1800 meters above the surface of the sea or more, so it’s not surprising that you would find them similar. :) I wasn’t convinced by Dimbula either for partially the same reasons.

Gosh, what an info-dump… Sorry! O.o

ashmanra

Sorry? Don’t be sorry! I love it! This is what this site is all about – sharing and learning about tea! Your project Ceylon was impressive! :)

Another nice mild tea from Harney & Sons – light and a bit lemony. I think I will take 30 seconds/a minute off brewing time next pot because it was just a tad bitter.

By the time this arrived in the mail, I had forgotten what it was, and from the name thought it was bound to have flowers in it. I opened the package to a marvelous fragrance of pure tea, a little evocative of darjeeling but mostly a nice “golden raisin” scent (it’s easier to just call it muscatel but that’s what it smells like to me). This turned out to be a great light-bodied Ceylon, crisp and just a little sweet and everything I hoped it would be. Delicious iced, and also quite tasty hot, which is good because we’ve been having a mixture of very hot days and cool, overcast ones!

My experience with Ceylon (as with most non-Chinese teas) doesn’t go very far back—only a couple of years ago, when I started wondering why the iced tea served at a particular cafe tasted good compared to everyone else’s, did I even learn the name of this tea. There’s a lot more to explore, but this is one of the good ones I’ve encountered so far!

Super Starling!

Ceylon is also the base of that bomb-diggity Thai iced tea. It’s that and condensed milk or somesuch. I want to experiment with making it sometime.

Mikumofu

I love Thai iced tea but I never knew that, making it myself sounds like something fun to try too!

Heavens to Betsy! This tea is really yummy! After Darjeeling, Ceylon teas are my favorite. Lover’s Leap is a good example of why I adore Ceylons so much.

As I first inhaled the scent of the dry leaves I was rewarded with a Darjeelingesque aroma. As the tea was steeping the aroma became reminiscent of Tie Guan Yin oolong. Interesting.
After a three and a half minute steep at 205F, the light amber liquor yielded a light bodied, but very flavorful tea. To my palate this tea could be Darjeeling’s Sri Lankan cousin. The flavor is brisk, bright and floral, with a bit of mild, citrus astringency. I even caught a fleeting glimpse of muscatel! I totally agree with another reviewer who described the floral note as resembling jasmine. Enchanting herbal and forest notes were present too. I would not dream of any additions to this tea – Although, perhaps, a drop of orange blossom honey might compliment things nicely.

Lover’s Leap Ceylon was full of pleasant little aroma and flavor surprises. Another wonderful Ceylon! Another forever tea!

Flavors: Astringent, Citrus, Floral, Forest Floor, Herbs, Jasmine, Muscatel

1 tsp 6 OZ / 177 ML

Last one from Harney & Sons! The leaves of this tea are somewhat small, but nowhere near as broken as the Assam I just tasted. Their color is a medium chocolate brown. Dry scent is mildly malty and sweet with a little bit of floral presence.

The steeped tea smells extremely floral in a jasmine sort of way. It’s a pleasant aroma, but not what I expected! Whoa, this is an interesting tea! I seems to be somewhat similar to Darjeeling, but without the astringency and tendency to go bitter. There’s a strong herb-like note that’s reminding me of rosemary. I can also taste that floral note from the aroma, but it’s quite soft and not at all overpowering. The base for these flavors is smooth and somewhat bready perhaps? Definitely a light-bodied tea with a lot of top notes. I like this one, even though it was totally unexpected. :) There’s a tiny bit of astringency that develops as I continue to sip.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Herbs, Jasmine, Pine, Smooth, Sweet

Once again I am struck by the similarity of this Harney & Sons Lover’s Leap to darjeeling, to be more precise: first flush darjeeling. Because the dried leaves were so darjeelingy in appearance and scent, I followed my darjeeling steeping guidelines, rather than treating this Ceylon as a full-fledged black tea.

Upon infusion, the bright yellowish green liquor seems to be a vindication of the darjeeling approach, as do the torn swatches of infused green leaves!

This is a light tea, to be sure. I admit that the flavor and scent of the brewed tea itself is a bit less darjeelingy than is the scent of the dried leaves. Still, I believe that this tea could be accurately described as a Ceylon darjeelingica!

185 °F / 85 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 10 OZ / 295 ML

One of my new go-to teas at work, it appears. I am never able to predict what teas achieve that spot.

edit: Second steep is also quite nice! Mellow, not disappointing. Way to go, tea!

This tea is very light in color and has a slightly sour aroma. The flavor is lightly earthy, smooth, not very dry or bitter, perhaps even a little sweet. This tea is light enough to enjoy without milk or sugar and may even be overpowered by them.

Brisk, super brisk on first steep for 3min (I think next time I will start at 2min). Brassy liquor with lemony accents. Kinda reminds me of Irish Breakfast, this is one of the few teas I would want to drink with milk. On the second steeping I lost the lemony and picked up on some smokiness. Overall a nice afternoon tea that will wake you up and keep you going to 5:00.