Edit tea info Last updated by rubicat

• “DISCLAIMER: If you are looking for reviews of this tea prior to purchase, do not read this one. My tea is so old as to be completely non-indicative of the actual tea. Hence the lack of rating, as...” Read full tasting note
    kittenna 2221 tasting notes
  • “I received this from a friend...straight from the islands! This is highly fragrant! VERY juicy and fresh aroma-wise! YUM! This is a fine flavored black! The Mango is delightful! But you can...” Read full tasting note
    teaequalsbliss 6770 tasting notes
  • “Finally broke open the box. I was hoarding it for about six months, because it was a gift from my sister, who bought it for me during her honeymoon in Hawaii. So in other words, regardless of how...” Read full tasting note
    Chizakura 111 tasting notes
  • “I am very very picky about mango, which isn't the tea's fault. I thought I would give this tea a try. I think I dislike mango flavoring. The tea has a perfect balance of tea and flavoring. It is...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 236 tasting notes

From Hawaiian Islands Tea Company

A vibrant tea flavored with Mango, which is considered by many to be the world’s most delicious fruit. We are very selective and our hand picked tea leaves are withered, rolled and fully processed using orthodox methods into a superior black tea. The result, when flavored, is a quality tea with unique flavor and smooth taste that blends remarkably well with the exotic Mango fruits to create our fragrant and flavorful Mango Maui tea.

About Hawaiian Islands Tea Company View company

DISCLAIMER: If you are looking for reviews of this tea prior to purchase, do not read this one. My tea is so old as to be completely non-indicative of the actual tea. Hence the lack of rating, as well.

Ooook, so this is an OLDIE. I mean, it’s probably 10+ years old. And not stored well. I have low expectations (although got some nice fruity mangoey smells just now… perhaps it won’t be as bad as I think?) My mom brought these back for me from Hawaii forever ago, and I drank a few bags’ worth, but that’s it, and have kept them around until now out of guilt. Perhaps if there’s a bit of flavour left, I’ll finally use them up! I have two other flavours as well, Pineapple Waikiki, and Passionfruit Na Pali. The last time I recall trying one of these (a few months ago), I recall much cardboardy flavour… but there was likely oversteeping then too. fingers crossed

Ok. It smells a bit fruity in the cup now. Just a bit. Flavour-wise, I can definitely taste the black tea, and although somewhat astringent, I feel like it’s a touch malty as well, which is nice. Sadly though, this does not taste much like mango. And sure enough… there is a bit of a cardboardiness as well. No real surprise there.

It’s definitely drinkable, given that I brilliantly only steeped it for 3 and a half minutes, and without additions, even. I’d love to try a fresh batch of this (and the other) teas. I’m probably missing out, given TeaEqualsBliss ’ review & rating below.

I received this from a friend…straight from the islands! This is highly fragrant! VERY juicy and fresh aroma-wise! YUM!

This is a fine flavored black! The Mango is delightful! But you can still tell it’s a black tea. The aroma and flavor from this bagged fellow really amazes me! Very tasty!

Finally broke open the box. I was hoarding it for about six months, because it was a gift from my sister, who bought it for me during her honeymoon in Hawaii. So in other words, regardless of how this actually tastes, it’s automatically special. Hence the hoarding.

But she seems upset everytime she sees the still-sealed box, so I rationalized that I could just drink most of it, and leave one teabag of each flavor, (The box came with this, Pineapple Waikiki and Passion Fruit Na Poli, six bags of each) and still hold onto this precious memento.

Anyway, the smell of the bag worries me. It’s very potent and fruity, but in the way that threatens to taste very fake. Sure enough, it doesn’t actually contain any mango in it, it’s all “natural and artifical flavoring.” Which isn’t terribly surprising for a teabag. But still, this is my precious tea, so I’m hopeful it’ll taste reasonably good.

After taking the first couple sips, I must say I’m pleasantly surprised! It’s surprisingly not bitter for a bag — no additives, mind you — and I steeped to the maximum recommended time too. So far it doesn’t taste terribly fake, though since I made this with boiling water and no milk (milk and fruit? Blech!) so it’s still quite hot to taste it entirely, but so far it seems pleasantly sweet and fruity with a definite black tea taste. It’s definitely not real mango, but it tastes more authentic than any mango juice you can pick up at the supermarket.

Rating will come after I’ve finished the cup. :)

Kittenna

Haha, I think I may have received a similar set of the same teas. However…. mine’s probably close to 15 years old now. Flavour, not so great. I think I may have reviewed but not rated the teas.

Chizakura

Ha, yeah actually I read your tasting notes of them. When I was about to do one of my own, I was curious to see what other people had thought.

Not bad for bagged, but I couldn’t imagine myself buying a box for myself either. It’s more that they’re ‘special’ than anything. :)

I am very very picky about mango, which isn’t the tea’s fault. I thought I would give this tea a try. I think I dislike mango flavoring. The tea has a perfect balance of tea and flavoring. It is good iced. I just don’t like mango as the flavoring, I prefer mangoes only in Indian food where it’s mixed with something. Mmmm, mango pickle or mango lassi, that’s something I could eat right now.

Iced and mixed with lemonade

Hot days in Boston recently; iced tea season is back in full force! My first pitchers of iced tea this year have been made with Mango Maui, which is light and refreshing for a black tea. I LOVE it. I’m often torn between black tea and fruity flavours, and I love when both meet in a perfectly balanced tea. I’m generally impressed with all of the teas I’ve tried from Hawaiian Islands Tea Company, but Mango Maui has been a constant staple in my cupboard.

And like I said last year, it’s HAPPY. :)

Brings back warm memories of hiking on the islands. Cool and refreshing. If a tea could be “Happy” this would be it!

My parents got this for me when they went to Hawaii in the fall. I, umm, just started unpacking my Christmas presents and voila! More tea…

This smells soooo good dry. I do find that the mango scent fades a lot once steeped. I’m preferring it with some almond milk, rather than plain. This way, it’s a decent, creamy, fruity black tea. I think it’d make a really good milky iced tea, actually. Maybe I’ll try that.

(2 bags, 16 oz)

I’m not a huge fan of mango but it’s been slowing growing on me. It’s a perfect balance of black tea and mango pieces. Makes me want to sit on Poipu beach and sip this tea iced. Oh it’s also good with some honey.

Another review will likely be forthcoming when I’ve gotten over my cold and fully regained all my senses, but I did enjoy the 2 cups of this tea that I had tonight. Like its counterpart, Pineapple Waikiki, the fruit flavor wasn’t synthetic, and it wasn’t overpowering. It was just enough to add interest.

200 °F / 93 °C 8 min or more