Apricot, Mango, Peach
Edit tea info Last updated by rubicat

From Hawaiian Islands Tea Company

A vibrant tea flavored with Mango, which is considered by many to be the world’s most delicious fruit. We are very selective and our hand picked tea leaves are withered, rolled and fully processed using orthodox methods into a superior black tea. The result, when flavored, is a quality tea with unique flavor and smooth taste that blends remarkably well with the exotic Mango fruits to create our fragrant and flavorful Mango Maui tea.

About Hawaiian Islands Tea Company View company

DISCLAIMER: If you are looking for reviews of this tea prior to purchase, do not read this one. My tea is so old as to be completely non-indicative of the actual tea. Hence the lack of rating, as well.

Ooook, so this is an OLDIE. I mean, it’s probably 10+ years old. And not stored well. I have low expectations (although got some nice fruity mangoey smells just now… perhaps it won’t be as bad as I think?) My mom brought these back for me from Hawaii forever ago, and I drank a few bags’ worth, but that’s it, and have kept them around until now out of guilt. Perhaps if there’s a bit of flavour left, I’ll finally use them up! I have two other flavours as well, Pineapple Waikiki, and Passionfruit Na Pali. The last time I recall trying one of these (a few months ago), I recall much cardboardy flavour… but there was likely oversteeping then too. fingers crossed

Ok. It smells a bit fruity in the cup now. Just a bit. Flavour-wise, I can definitely taste the black tea, and although somewhat astringent, I feel like it’s a touch malty as well, which is nice. Sadly though, this does not taste much like mango. And sure enough… there is a bit of a cardboardiness as well. No real surprise there.

It’s definitely drinkable, given that I brilliantly only steeped it for 3 and a half minutes, and without additions, even. I’d love to try a fresh batch of this (and the other) teas. I’m probably missing out, given TeaEqualsBliss ’ review & rating below.

I received this from a friend…straight from the islands! This is highly fragrant! VERY juicy and fresh aroma-wise! YUM!

This is a fine flavored black! The Mango is delightful! But you can still tell it’s a black tea. The aroma and flavor from this bagged fellow really amazes me! Very tasty!

Finally broke open the box. I was hoarding it for about six months, because it was a gift from my sister, who bought it for me during her honeymoon in Hawaii. So in other words, regardless of how this actually tastes, it’s automatically special. Hence the hoarding.

But she seems upset everytime she sees the still-sealed box, so I rationalized that I could just drink most of it, and leave one teabag of each flavor, (The box came with this, Pineapple Waikiki and Passion Fruit Na Poli, six bags of each) and still hold onto this precious memento.

Anyway, the smell of the bag worries me. It’s very potent and fruity, but in the way that threatens to taste very fake. Sure enough, it doesn’t actually contain any mango in it, it’s all “natural and artifical flavoring.” Which isn’t terribly surprising for a teabag. But still, this is my precious tea, so I’m hopeful it’ll taste reasonably good.

After taking the first couple sips, I must say I’m pleasantly surprised! It’s surprisingly not bitter for a bag — no additives, mind you — and I steeped to the maximum recommended time too. So far it doesn’t taste terribly fake, though since I made this with boiling water and no milk (milk and fruit? Blech!) so it’s still quite hot to taste it entirely, but so far it seems pleasantly sweet and fruity with a definite black tea taste. It’s definitely not real mango, but it tastes more authentic than any mango juice you can pick up at the supermarket.

Rating will come after I’ve finished the cup. :)

Haha, I think I may have received a similar set of the same teas. However…. mine’s probably close to 15 years old now. Flavour, not so great. I think I may have reviewed but not rated the teas.

Ha, yeah actually I read your tasting notes of them. When I was about to do one of my own, I was curious to see what other people had thought.

Not bad for bagged, but I couldn’t imagine myself buying a box for myself either. It’s more that they’re ‘special’ than anything. :)

I am very very picky about mango, which isn’t the tea’s fault. I thought I would give this tea a try. I think I dislike mango flavoring. The tea has a perfect balance of tea and flavoring. It is good iced. I just don’t like mango as the flavoring, I prefer mangoes only in Indian food where it’s mixed with something. Mmmm, mango pickle or mango lassi, that’s something I could eat right now.

Iced and mixed with lemonade

Hot days in Boston recently; iced tea season is back in full force! My first pitchers of iced tea this year have been made with Mango Maui, which is light and refreshing for a black tea. I LOVE it. I’m often torn between black tea and fruity flavours, and I love when both meet in a perfectly balanced tea. I’m generally impressed with all of the teas I’ve tried from Hawaiian Islands Tea Company, but Mango Maui has been a constant staple in my cupboard.

And like I said last year, it’s HAPPY. :)

Brings back warm memories of hiking on the islands. Cool and refreshing. If a tea could be “Happy” this would be it!

Tried this tea today and I must say that I love the exotic flavor to this black tea!

any particular aromas and flavors? was the mango weak, avrage or strong?

The Anonymous Critique

I’d have to say avg to strong.

1 tea bag used
Malty. Note of beer. Mango flavour is subtle. Black tea is slightly brisk.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 13 OZ / 375 ML

This was the other bagged tea i grabbed to make my life easier while i finished up testing. this is pretty tasty for a bagged tea, but i have to say – annoying that i had to cut the bag open to get at the tea bag lol no easy rip line or anything.. so i was worried i’d cut the tea bag. this one’s pretty mango-y and not at all bitter. thanks for this one omgsrsly

FInal, Final Count: 158 lol