Sencha "Nara"

Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Shadowleaf

• “I tried all my Lupicia senchas on the same day, so I’m going to compare them to each other. So far, this tea smells nearly identical to Sencha “Chiran” with just a hint of spice the “Chiran”...” Read full tasting note
    CHAroma 526 tasting notes
  • “My first order from Lupicia just arrived, and I wanted to try this sencha. I am usually hesitant to brew at such a hot temperature, but I wanted to try their recommended parameters...” Read full tasting note
    extrarice 259 tasting notes
  • “Fifth tea from the sample pack. I have never tasted tea from Nara before so when I was preparing this, I was thinking that this tea should be a quite nice and interesting experience. And I was...” Read full tasting note
    Shadowleaf 24 tasting notes
  • “My first time trying this sencha from Lupicia. The tea is a deep green color with a nice amount of matter in the bottom of the cup (not too much, not too little). The tea is grassy with a full,...” Read full tasting note
    shinseikatsu 59 tasting notes

From Lupicia

Tea produced in Nara prefecture. Thin tealeaves makes refreshing aroma.

About Lupicia View company

So far, this tea smells nearly identical to Sencha “Chiran” with just a hint of spice the “Chiran” lacked. It tastes better than “Chiran” to me too. I’m not sure what that spice is, but it complements the tea nicely. I don’t think anything has been added to the tea actually. I think that “spice” is just part of the leaves.

I’m not a sencha connoisseur, so it’s hard for to describe it any other way than “spice.” It’s a definite improvement over the “Chiran,” but I still probably wouldn’t drink it often.

(For my thoughts on the third sencha, see Sencha “Matsuri”).

My first order from Lupicia just arrived, and I wanted to try this sencha. I am usually hesitant to brew at such a hot temperature, but I wanted to try their recommended parameters first.

Pleasantly grassy aroma, a medium green color that tends slightly towards amber. To my pleasant surprise the resulting tea is not bitter at all, as senchas brewed too hot tend to be. An excellent cup!

Fifth tea from the sample pack.

I have never tasted tea from Nara before so when I was preparing this, I was thinking that this tea should be a quite nice and interesting experience. And I was right – in a sense.

The tea leaves were a bit tinier than normal sencha leaves, but not quite like fukamushi leaves. Therefore I expected a quite strong sencha, not bitter, but strong and rich in taste. Instead I got a result very similar in taste to kukicha. The taste was both refreshing and sweet, including a slight touch of citrus. However, since I was expecting something stronger, I could not help to think that it felt really thin.

From now on, I will read Lupicia’s descriptions in Japanese, since they provide much more information than the English ones (that I tend to read since I am lazy and do not always want to translate and read Japanese). While the English description says “Tea produced in Nara prefecture. Thin tealeaves makes refreshing aroma”, the Japanese version also mentions, not only this, but that the tea will taste a bit thin. Apparently, it is like you can feel the silent night under the moon. Had I known this maybe the experience would have been a bit different.

The tea itself was quite good, but I am not sure if I would buy this when I can get loads of good kukicha for under the same price.

My first time trying this sencha from Lupicia. The tea is a deep green color with a nice amount of matter in the bottom of the cup (not too much, not too little). The tea is grassy with a full, round, mellow flavor.