Jingle Bells

Black Tea, Flavouring, Flowers
Candy, Champagne, Floral, Grapes, Perfume, Sweet, Grapefruit, Berries, Earth, Malt, Artificial, Astringent, Alcohol, Bitter, Drying, Smooth, Red Wine, Violet, White Wine, Muscatel
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “This SMELLS so GOOD! Yum! Citrus notes with a creamy undertone. A lot like a creamsicle – with tea! And as good as it smells, it tastes even better. The citrus tones are sweet with just enough...” Read full tasting note
  • “I am not sure if Lupicia changes the recipe for this tea from time to time? Cos the description on my Jingle Bells tea tin says “a black tea scented with refreshing grapes and fruity champagne”,...” Read full tasting note
  • “I actually drank this over a month ago, but I am putting a note here because Youngest asked me to remind her which teas we drank when she visited at Christmas. We drank tea pretty much non-stop but...” Read full tasting note
  • “Thanks Cameron for sending me this to try! I’ve been saving it for New Years. The dry sachet of this smells strongly of grape Hi-Chews deliciousness! Steeped the tea definitely has a grape Hi-Chew...” Read full tasting note

From Lupicia

Scented with refreshing grapes and fruity sparkling wine. Great for a family get-together during the holiday.

Ingredients: Black tea, heath flower, flavorings

About Lupicia View company

This SMELLS so GOOD! Yum!

Citrus notes with a creamy undertone. A lot like a creamsicle – with tea! And as good as it smells, it tastes even better. The citrus tones are sweet with just enough tart to keep it interesting but not too much. The creamy yogurt flavor gives it a smooth, rich taste and texture. The black tea is bright but fairly mellow. A nice afternoon tea.

I am not sure if Lupicia changes the recipe for this tea from time to time? Cos the description on my Jingle Bells tea tin says “a black tea scented with refreshing grapes and fruity champagne”, which is completely to the description shown above.

The Jingle Bells tea that I have just brewed does tastes of grapes instead of creamy or citrusy. It in many ways resembles Bonne Nuit, another Lupicia blend with grape and champagne flavours, but the latter is sweeter because it is scented with berries as well. It feels a bit strange to drink Bonne Nuit hot, as if you are drinking a hot fruit cocktail. But I don’t have this problem with Jingle Bells – it’s enjoyable when hot but it will be a nice iced tea too. The grape flavour is kinda like what you get in grape soda drink, but far less artificial and sickly. Kids or kidults will probably like this ;)

I actually drank this over a month ago, but I am putting a note here because Youngest asked me to remind her which teas we drank when she visited at Christmas. We drank tea pretty much non-stop but I didn’t review many of them because I don’t see her often and wanted to spend time with her. Thus it completely slipped my mind that we had a sample of Jingle Bells that came with my order of Carol and Merci Mille Fois.

We both loved this one. The grape flavor is so spot on. I don’t know how they do it, but the fruit flavored teas from Lupicia that I have tried have been amazing. This fairly sparkled and would be absolutely wonderful to serve for a Christmas time tea gathering when we can finally start having gatherings again. I bet it would also make an incredible iced tea, but we only had one sachet to play it.

Ashman was so enamored of the aroma of Carol this morning that I told him we really need to order even more next year since it is limited edition. Now that I think about it, we should order a pouch or two of Jingle Bells as well.

Martin Bednář

Always better to spend time with family than with writing notes on Steepster!

I hope that this year Christmas we will be able to make family gathering again!

tea-sipper

yeah, i’m realizing one of lupicia’s grape teas are a staple for my cupboard.

Cameron B.

I like their grape teas too! Honestly Japanese grape flavoring is just always better IMO.

tea-sipper

Yeah, Lupicia’s is probably the only grape tea flavoring I have liked at all.

Martin Bednář

The Muscat I got from Izzy and company is Janat Paris… they have got a tea-room in Japan. So probably it suits Japanese taste buds and thus I really liked it too! It seems their flavouring is indeed great :)

Thanks Cameron for sending me this to try! I’ve been saving it for New Years.
The dry sachet of this smells strongly of grape Hi-Chews deliciousness!
Steeped the tea definitely has a grape Hi-Chew like flavor as well as some floral perfume like notes. I get the champagne as well it has an almost bubbly like quality to it though leaning more towards champagne than soda. I probably steeped it a tad long and would steep it a bit shorter next time.I bet this would be delicious iced as well. This is my first grape tea I’ve tried from Lupicia and I definitely would repurchase this and want to try their other grape teas as well.

Flavors: Candy, Champagne, Floral, Grapes, Perfume, Sweet

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 30 sec 8 OZ / 236 ML

Smells like grape juice! Tastes like purple grapes and honey. Lupicia is SO good at fruit flavors, especially grape.

Grape! That’s what I’m tasting! Weird that I couldn’t place it. The flavor was lumped into a generic “Lupicia fruit” category in my brain. Red or purple grape, not green for sure. It’s a really pretty blend from what I can see through the sachet bag, some little flowers in it. The scent is really bold and rich. It took a few sips to get into it and over an initial bitterness. Once past that it’s fairly well balanced. The grape is strong in the sip and lingers long into the finish. I bet this would be good cold steeped as well. It has a good flavor, but I don’t feel like it’s unique to Lupicia. I feel like they have used this flavor in a few other teas, like the California blends. Muscat? Napa Blanc! But that was a green base. This is good, but I don’t feel the need to own it. Super happy to have gotten this sample with my order!

Cameron B.

They definitely have a lot of grape teas, lol. But I think this and Yamabudo are my favorites since they have more of a red grape juice sort of flavor, versus the more winey white grape teas. I haven’t tried Muscat though!

Dustin

They are big on a few fruits. Peach and strawberry seem to be favorites as well.

If this tasted like the aroma, I think I would’ve liked it much better. It wasn’t bad. I liked the grapefruit notes but the grape notes were a little candy-ish to me. Maybe it was the perfumey notes. Not sure. I’m still getting used to flavored teas but I favor those that taste more naturally I guess. I’ll try again soon. ^^

Update: Tried it again, and wasn’t as perfumey. I had it grandpa style and it was much tastier. Upped the rating.

Flavors: Candy, Grapefruit, Grapes, Perfume

3 g 5 OZ / 150 ML

1990 tasting notes

Sipdown no. 2 of 2019 (no. 490 total). A sample teabag.

Lupicia sent me this in one of their love letters, and since I’m rather desperate to keep up with the sipdown challenge I looked around for something I could claim to have sipped down. This is definitely the only Jingle Bells in the house, so I say it counts!

The smell out of the packet is strong — and amazing! Very, very fruity. I smell grapefruits and berries, regardless of what Lupicia says. But there’s also definitely champagne.

After steeping, a malty, earthy tea joins the party. The tea is medium-dark amber and clear. I expected it to be darker as a black tea. Hmm.

Maybe I’m just black tea deprived, but this is yum. As I sip, I get more of the grape — which is rather a candy type of grape than a fruity type of grape. But that’s ok, right? I mean, shouldn’t there be a place in the world for a candy grape tea?

I see that Roswell and I are somewhat in the minority here, but I loved this one. I’d definitely drink it again. I’m a little sad I chose it to sip down now.

But when I think of one less tea, I am happy again!

Flavors: Berries, Champagne, Earth, Grapefruit, Malt

Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML
Mastress Alita

R.I.P. Lupicia. It was a good run. * is currently going through the five stages of grief over their closure *

__Morgana__

Wow, I missed that. They’re closed? I knew that they had closed some stores a few years back — but I can’t find anything about a complete closure on the internet? I don’t see anything on their web site or Facebook page that indicates they’re closing and I just got a mailing from them in the last week, though admittedly I tossed it and just kept the teabag. So I’m a little freaked.

Mastress Alita

Check the forums, there is news on the group order thread. All stores but the Japanese and Hawaii branch are closing down. The US online store will be closed by the end of February this year. There may be different close dates for the different stores, but I know the San Jose location will be closed by January 28th (my friend is local there).

Maddy Barone

Whaaaat? But Golden Honeydew!!! wails

__Morgana__

Wonder why they are keeping Hawaii open but not the web site? I can understand retail space costs in the Bay Area (but Hawaii is expensive too), but there’s so much less overhead to do business online.

Mastress Alita

The website was run from the Hayward, CA location. They are closing all US locations, Australia, France… I’m assuming they don’t want to ship from Hawaii to the main states, since that is their only US location staying open.

__Morgana__

Oh for heaven’s sake. I just went and spent a ton of money ordering all my favorites. On the one hand, I am grateful to you for letting me know. I wish I’d known before American Tea Room went under. On the other, well, there goes my cupboard organizational effort and sipdown effort. Ugh.

Lexie Aleah

The Lupicia group order topic in the Discussion forms goes into more detail about Lupicia closing.

Rosehips

I really like this one too, but they’re closing?! Aww man!

Holiday Tea-son! When I visited Lupicia last November, they gave me some sampler teabags for buying so much tea, and two of them were holiday samplers, Jingle Bells and Soleil Levant, so of course I plan on trying out both this month. I planned to do the Soleil Levant since it’s a green and it’s already rather late, but accidentally grabbed the Jingle Bells and opened the package, so oops. Ah well, at least it’s the weekend. It smells very strongly of grape! Which I’ve never really associated as a holiday flavor, but honestly I’m happy to drink something that isn’t orange, spice, or almond for a change, too, so I’m not really complaining.

Since Lupicia blacks have a tendency toward getting a bit more robust than I tend to care for, I went for a briefer steep of this sachet than usual, bumping down my three minutes to two. It still looked a nice deep reddish brown color, and had a strong grape aroma.

I think the shorter steep was the right choice, since the black tea was still quite potent, but the astringency didn’t come off quite as demanding as usual for a Lupicia black. I think I would’ve had bitterness issues had I went for my usual three minute steep. The tea had a strong grape flavor, and it comes off a bit too much like the fake grape candy/Kool-Aid flavor that I’m not that big of a fan of, but it isn’t overly unpleasant, either. There are some floral background notes that add a bit of sweetness and depth which help temper the grape a bit. I’m not really getting any alcoholic/campagne notes though.

Not a terrible cup, but not a favorite. I preferred the Honey Mead and Niagra Ice Wine teas I sampled last month a lot more than this one as far as grapey-tasting teas.

Flavors: Artificial, Astringent, Candy, Floral, Grapes, Sweet

Smells so much like grapes right out of the bag! Reminds me of grape-flavored candy.

Flavors: Candy, Grapes