Thé Vert Marco Polo

Fruit Green Blend
Cream, Strawberry, Berries, Flowers, Fruit Tree Flowers
Edit tea info Last updated by EllieTea4Me

• “I'm up early, which is always absolutely horrible for me, so I decided I deserved a cup of this. It's such a very good tea. So much flavour - this is what I love about Mariage Frères' greens -...” Read full tasting note
    annapocalyptic 300 tasting notes
  • “I can't get over the _intensely_ *fruity* scent of the dry leaf. It just screams FRUIT (red berries, specifically). Fruits which are bordering on overripeness. It's kind of daunting in its...” Read full tasting note
    StephL535 314 tasting notes
  • “So, I have almost completed the round robin of all the Marco Polos - and I am determined to finish! As I said on the Thé Blanc of the same name, the Marco Polo Flavour is simply beautiful. I was...” Read full tasting note
    EllieTea4Me 9 tasting notes
  • “I don't know what kind of crack flavoring is in this. It smells very strong but when brewed tastes very strawberry shortcakey to me. I almost exclusively use this to make butter tea (tea blended...” Read full tasting note
    feiniel 39 tasting notes

From Mariage Frères

To celebrate the Year 2000, MARIAGE FRÈRES added a new chapter to its long saga of creating special blends.

A green tea was carefully chosen for its smooth, natural flavour, then wed to secret fragrances of fruit and flowers from China and Tibet, as already made famous by the ‘Marco Polo’ blend.

A tea typical of French connoisseurship.

About Mariage Frères View company

I’m up early, which is always absolutely horrible for me, so I decided I deserved a cup of this. It’s such a very good tea. So much flavour – this is what I love about Mariage Frères’ greens – they’re present throughout the entire sip. None of that Dammann nonsense where you have to sit and inhale in a staccato-like manner at the end of each sip to possibly get an inkling of an aftertaste.

No – this tea is right there, all along, just like a good friend.

Fjellrev

Ha, I’m not a morning person either. You definitely deserve a nice cup of tea if someone or something is making you get up earlier than necessary.

Anna

Thanks, F. And yeah, it was me who made me do it. I should seriously give myself a good talking to.

cteresa

I got issues with them, sometimes, but they are also a company where I think somebody with a working nose and palate does taste and veto their blends.

I can’t get over the intensely fruity scent of the dry leaf. It just screams FRUIT (red berries, specifically). Fruits which are bordering on overripeness.

It’s kind of daunting in its fruity aggressiveness!

I just love the scent once brewed, though. It’s delicious, like a warm strawberry compote topped with cream and dusted with powdered sugar. There is a mild fresh floral and green stem component too. Like a bouquet of dewy, long-stemmed roses.

And the flavor is just as beautiful. The green tea taste reminds me of Sauvignon Blanc— brisk and grassy, clean and fresh. All overlaid with this hazy perfume of sweet berries and flowers. I can’t help but think of springtime.

So, I have almost completed the round robin of all the Marco Polos – and I am determined to finish! As I said on the Thé Blanc of the same name, the Marco Polo Flavour is simply beautiful.
I was in fact drinking this yesterday, I suddenly rediscovered all my Mariage Frères teas that had been hiding in their beautiful Boites du Thé!
It may seem unncessary to have a green and a white version of this tea, but honestly, it tastes so different, and the brewing is so different.
How would I brew?
Well, 2 desert spoonfuls of leaves in a 6 cup pot, simply because I like to re-steep, and if you don’t have enough of the flowers in there the later brews taste like straight green tea otherwise.
Brew this one, easily for close to 3mins, this makes sure the flowers have come out into the tea properly.
And I ‘d say 85 degrees, so not as cool as the white tea, but not boiling either because I prefer a calmer slower brew with slightly less hot water – and I found the re-brews benefitted from this too.
What about taste?
It’s fresh, light, cool and sort of like drinking a forest – that sort of dewey taste you get when you breathe in your garden early in the morning!
And the successive re-brews are just beautiful too, definitely worth 3 (I might have done 4 last night actually!). And I always notice how lovely a colour this is when it brews in the pot, no murkiness to be found her, just a lush grass green.
Anything else?
Absolutely worth it, comes in a “Boites du Thé” for 100g, which is the most efficient way to purchase this if you want a tin, because it costs less than buying the tea and a boites separately, and the Mariage tea boites are excellent quality, with beautiful images and a proper label instead of my illegible writing!

CHAroma

“that sort of dewey taste you get when you breathe in your garden early in the morning!” Beautiful imagery!

I don’t know what kind of crack flavoring is in this. It smells very strong but when brewed tastes very strawberry shortcakey to me. I almost exclusively use this to make butter tea (tea blended with coconut oil or butter, some sweetener and salt) making it taste more biscuity and delicious. Also I’ve had this tea forever—many years in fact, and I don’t think the flavor has decreased (which kind of scares me).

Flavors: Cream, Strawberry

This tea is surprisingly delicious. I just never know with green teas, but truly a pleasant surprise here. The green base is apparent, but not too strong or vegetal, and the flavouring is all sweet berries.

Thanks KittyLovesTea!

I got a tin of this by accident – thought I had ordered the Marco Polo black while trying to find a suitable alternative to my favorite TWG 1837 Black, which I usually pick up while on business trips in Asia. I was not disappointed one bit, however, once I opened the tin and took that first whiff of the leaves. The ripe and dark berry smell was magic!! Blueberries, blackberries, elderberries, black raspberries, loganberries.. all muddled with some flower blossoms… but, I thought.. will this go as well with green tea as with black?

Surprisingly well, it appears. There are two reasons this doesn’t get a 90+ score from me, however. The liquor has a lot more floral notes to compliment the berries when compared to my beloved 1837 black, which has caramel notes instead of floral. However, this is not a terribble thing because sometimes I want a bit more flowers in my berry-green but not jasmine, and this tea hits the spot perfectly. The second reason it’s not a 90+ is that I only really get 2 solid infusions out of this at 175 (2 mins, 1 min), and they need to be combined post-brew into 1 batch for a good balance. The first infusion has the green tea flavor way too faint, and by the second steeping the floral notes are mostly gone and berry notes completely gone. A third steeping (at 2 mins) produces a mild, weak green tea. I haven’t taken this beyond 3 infusions.

I can’t wait to try the Marco Polo black tea after this though…

Flavors: Berries, Flowers, Fruit Tree Flowers

Best smell ever for a tea with an amazing taste.
Placed top3 of my favorite teas right after the first sip.
Try it now !