Market Chai

Black Chai Blend
Assam Black Tea, Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Ginger, Nutmeg, Orange Peel, Vanilla
Cloves, Nutmeg, Orange, Smooth
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Tea Bag
Edit tea info Last updated by EveGrimm

From Market Spice

Our take on a classic Indian tea blend. This blend brews a strong cup of tea. Add milk or sweetener if desired. Delicious hot or iced.

Mild and sweet, our version contains hints of Vanilla, Orange and Cinnamon flavorings blended with Assam black tea, as well as Cardamom, Cinnamon, Cloves, Coriander, Ginger, Nutmeg and Orange Peel.

About Market Spice View company

I don’t know why I am on this chai kick lately. I’m so picky about it, I don’t know why I even bother trying new ones except what if they’re amazing? Anyway.

This one is not bad, but it’s not really anything to write home about. It smells fantastic, of course. Even terrible chai smells fantastic. And it’s definitely not terrible, but it’s very, very mild.

On the other hand, aside from the mildness, this really isn’t bad. It’s a little sweeter than I expected, with some muted spicy notes, mostly cinnamon. I just expected a bit more flavor, especially from the ginger and cloves, which are not really evident. I like my tea strong like ox, though, so I can’t see this becoming a regular in my kitchen.

I wish I liked this one. It smelled great! It smells like pumpkin pie and all things fall. It tastes weak and leaves me missing something. It doesn’t taste bad at all, just doesn’t carry the strong flavor I seem to crave.

A sample from Miss B! It’s pretty much properly winter now, so I’m finding that I’m drawn more and more to warming teas, and particularly chai, once I get to work on a morning. I like how they can vary so much from blend to blend – it’s like there’s always something new to discover, even though there are usually strong similarities too. I used 2 tsp of leaf for my cup, and gave it 4 minutes in boiling water. I added a splash of milk. I’d love to try this one as a latte, but it’s western style for now because it’s just not really feasible to faff about heating milk at work. Sad as that is.

Anyway, the tea. The initial flavour is very gingery, which I’m enjoying. Sometimes ginger in chai can get a little lost amongst the stronger flavours, but it’s here in all its glory. There’s also a touch of corriander, which is no surprise as there were so many corriander seeds in my scoop. If anything, I thought it might actually be stronger because of that, but it seems like a pretty mild chai as they go. That’s good in one respect, because it allows the orange and vanilla to come through pretty confidently, and they’re nice flavours to have in a chai. This makes for a smooth, creamy, sweet chai with the slight sharpness of orange zest, a good warming kick of ginger, and a swirl of more generic “spiciness” floating around in the background. I enjoyed this one.

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 2 tsp

Grabbed this while at Pike Place Market in Seattle (Market Spice, I love you). Thought I’d tried this already… perhaps not. It’s a smooth chai, not as “bold” or strong as the description stated, but still a lovely chai. Some orange in there, a good kick of what I think is nutmeg, maybe cloves?

Flavors: Cloves, Nutmeg, Orange, Smooth

Chai, I am disappoint.

Chai’s one of my favorite tea blends, and this one smells amazing (as does most chai), but it is very mild. Now, that isn’t necessarily a bad thing if you prefer mild chai, but I like my chai on the strong side.

I’d like to find a go-to chai at some point, but I don’t think this is a contender.