Sencha of the Wind

Green Tea
Bitter, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass
Edit tea info Last updated by Shinobi_cha

• “Another fantastic Sencha from Obubu. So smooth, sweet and with a lovely fruit note that hits the palate toward the end of the sip. Beautiful. ” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4461 tasting notes
  • “The friendly people at Obubu Tea sent me this free of charge! Included was a discount code and a lovely hand-written note; I was touched and impressed. My throat has been very sore as of late, so I...” Read full tasting note
    elonwy 33 tasting notes
  • “A nice mix of slightly sweet and umami, with just a (nice) hint of bitter (it was present, but I barely noticed it). It was one of those cups of tea that I enjoyed as it was drunk, but it didn't...” Read full tasting note
    Shinobi_cha 280 tasting notes
  • “Very light tea. Rebrews 3 times. It has a nice sweetness. Not as complex as I usually like, just straightforward tasting. I used up my whole sample, I might have liked the boiling brewing, since I...” Read full tasting note
    MelissaW 258 tasting notes

From Obubu Tea

A tea popular with female customers in Japan, our Sencha of the Wind or 風の煎茶, is a sencha with a soft sweetness that is perfect for our warm water (sencha espresso) steeping method. Steep it with boiling water though, and surprisingly the tea retains much of its sweetness.

Grown on southeast facing rolling hills at an altitude of 500 meters (1640 feet) and harvested in late May, the cultivation technique is very similar to our Kabuse Sencha. However, in addition to being harvested slightly later than the Kabuse, this tea does not use the Yabukita variety of tea plant (said to be the most suitable for Japanese tea) and is instead cultivated on standard tea plants. The difference is in the leaves as these leaves produce less amino acids than the Kabuse and therefore less bitterness.

Product name: Sencha of the Wind
Ingredients: 100% aracha from Wazuka, Kyoto
Tea plant: Standard plants, about 20 years old
Cultivation notes: Covered for 14 days before harvesting with tarp to reduce 85% of sunlight reaching the leaves
Harvest period: late-May
Processing notes: light steaming (about 20 seconds)
Product size: 1 bag (24.5 x11.5 x2.0 cm / 9.65 x4.53 x0.79 in)
Weight of contents: 100 g / 3.53 oz
Producer: Akihiro Kita
Expiration: Good for 6 months from shipment
Storage: Seal tightly and refrigerate

About Obubu Tea View company

The friendly people at Obubu Tea sent me this free of charge! Included was a discount code and a lovely hand-written note; I was touched and impressed. My throat has been very sore as of late, so I used boiling hot water on this one. I enjoy very strong flavors in my teas, which is why I believe I prefer blacks, so I would probably be seen as mistreating most greens that come my way. I am a supertaster, however, and fully appreciate subtle flavors, so I don’t think greens are lost on me. My heart would still very much like to procure a gaiwan and treat these delicate Japanese and Chinese greens with a more traditional preparation.

The leaves are beautifully fragrant. I sniffed the bag more times than I care to admit! The water was boiling, so I didn’t steep this too long (unusual for me). The mesh sleeve for my cast iron teapot had gone on the fritz, so I had to use one of my cups. The perforations in the cup let through some of the smaller bits of leaves, but that doesn’t deter me in the least; I find it rather endearing.

THIS is what I picture when I think of green tea. It was perfect. It was all there, the grassy flavor, the faint fruit aroma, tinge of bitterness, followed by a hint of sweetness. There was slight astringency, which I so enjoy and feel creates a perfect foil with the sweet aftertaste. Sencha of the Wind was unlike a lot of green teas that I have had, with full body but still clean and refreshing. My aching throat was grateful, and after the first sip I greedily devoured the rest of the cup. And since it was only a cup, I still have some left. I can’t wait for my next!

Thank you, Obubu Tea, for this quality tea experience! I cannot wait to try more of your varieties.

A nice mix of slightly sweet and umami, with just a (nice) hint of bitter (it was present, but I barely noticed it). It was one of those cups of tea that I enjoyed as it was drunk, but it didn’t pop out at me. The wet leaf smelled very sweet and delicious in the kyusu. And yes, the leaves are HUGE! If that is because it is aracha, I like that.

In case you haven’t noticed, I received a sampler of Obubu’s teas for Christmas. $15 for 15 teas (5g each) and free shipping! (I think it was a Holiday special or something). Normally, the price is $25 (I think that still includes shipping) and I wouldn’t say it’s worth it, since it’s not quite enough tea to make more than one pot for each type. But at $15, it was a great deal!

Very light tea. Rebrews 3 times. It has a nice sweetness. Not as complex as I usually like, just straightforward tasting. I used up my whole sample, I might have liked the boiling brewing, since I think the warm water method didn’t make it strong enough for my tastebuds. It has a white tea lightness.

This is my first tea from Obubu, and it is quite delicious.

The leaves are large! I’m used to rather broken leaves with Japanese tea, but these are mostly whole. Being aracha, there are stems in it, but I love the flavor of the stems, so I like it even more.

The smell of the leaves, both before and after brewing, is AMAZING. I can see why it is called “Sencha of the Wind”. It smells like a sweet spring breeze. The color of the tea is a nice yellow-green, and the taste is nice and sweet, with a slight fruity flavor.

I don’t follow their “sencha expresso” brewing instructions, instead using my own. 2-3g of tea to 3-4oz water for 1.5 minutes. 30 seconds for the 2nd and 3rd infusions. Unlike some teas, the flavor really lasts on the 3rd and even 4th infusions.

I hope to try more teas from Obubu. They have a nice lineup, and are very “open” about their work on the site, and have good communication on Facebook/Twitter.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, Obubu recommends you eat the leaves after steeping. I tried it, and they tasted surprisingly good. I splashed a little soy sauce and rice vinegar on the leaves, and they tasted quite a bit like spinach. I think I felt the caffeine more, though.

EDIT 2: The more I brew it the more I like it! This tea is really growing on me. Easy to brew, always a consistent flavor, it’s great!

With the dry leaves in the warm kyusu, after a minute I uncovered them to smell them. They have a really sweet fragrance that is green and light, similar to Obubu’s “Sencha of Brightness”.

The wet leaves have an almost floral aroma, reminding me a bit of a Taiwanese high mountain oolong. The flavor is light with a good deal of sweetness and a slightly astringent finish. Strangely, the sweetness is so abundant up front that it’s difficult for me to describe the flavors, so I’ll say it’s kind of a sweet grass taste. There’s a subtle honey-like smell in the cup after emptying it. Maybe it’s because the front end tastes so sweet that I feel like the bitterness in the finish of the taste comes on stronger than with the other sencha I’ve tried from Obubu. They describe this one on their website as having very little bitterness.

Like some other sencha I’ve tried from Obubu, the second infusion has a bit of a minty hint in the finish. The bitterness is still there, so is the strong sweetness up front.

If you like a sencha that starts really sweet and finishes with a bit of bitterness, this is the one to go to. It’s the only one in the Obubu sampler that seems to have that kind of quality. It’s dynamic within the sip rather than dynamic from one infusion to the next.

I’m finding a weird pattern to my Obubu reviews. I have preferred the lower grade and cheaper varieties to the higher grade more expensive ones. Lucky me! :D

Flavors: Bitter, Sweet, Sweet, warm grass

Good (late) morning Steepster!

Ugh, I am tired today, didn’t sleep too well last night and then got up at 5 am with my Sweetie who had to catch a flight. I did manage to nap for a few hours when I got home but don’t feel so energetic yet.

This is one of the samples I got from Obubu tea. So far, this may be one of my favorites. The tea liquor is light and definitely on the sweeter side, with notes of spinach and peas. There is only a very slight palate cleansing finish in the astringency. There’s something about the flavor in this that’s really nice and delicate, but not too light on impact. Recommended :)

Now off I go to apply for some more jobs… zzzz… boring!

Note: I mistakenly applied this tasting note to a different tea. It’s now in it’s right place.

It’s quite windy out, so this tea seemed like the perfect thing to try once I got home.

This is also the first Yunomi.us tea I’ve tried brewing western style (1 tsp, 8 oz, 82C, 3 mins), and I have to say that while it’s weaker in taste, I much prefer it this way – no blast of umami astringency to contend with.

It’s still a bit sharper and “greener” in taste than a Chinese green, but I think I’m going to stick with brewing my other senchas, gyokuros, and houjichas using this method.