Earl Grey with Lavender

Edit tea info Last updated by rsaw

• “The first time I had this, I just couldn't stand it. The lavender was too overpowering, and I actually don't like Earl Grey blends to begin with (and I'm kind of a newbie to blacks), so I'm...” Read full tasting note
    rsaw 9 tasting notes
  • “This is my favorite afternoon tea. It's comforting without being too sweet or smoky, and tastes great solo or with milk and sugar (or agave). It also does well on the second steeping.” Read full tasting note
    HollyInMS 12 tasting notes
  • “This tea has a strong, complex and spicy aroma- unique and surprising. I may have over-brewed my first cup a bit, but still enjoyed it, although didn't think it was OVERTLY special. I controlled my...” Read full tasting note
    prkr 12 tasting notes

From Peet's Coffee & Tea

Peet’s unique blend of five teas mixed with fragrant lavender flowers. A refreshing and relaxing Earl Grey.

It was fashionable in England during the 19th century to make “house blends” of teas, sometimes including other botanicals in the blend. This gave rise to the popularity of bergamot as a tea flavoring, but there were other, now forgotten tea blends as well. This Earl Grey uses French lavender flowers with a blend of five teas that achieves a unique floral and herbal cup quality. There is no other blend of teas quite like this one (and is quite a surprise to more than few tea drinkers), but it is an old favorite at our original Berkeley store.

About Peet's Coffee & Tea View company

The first time I had this, I just couldn’t stand it. The lavender was too overpowering, and I actually don’t like Earl Grey blends to begin with (and I’m kind of a newbie to blacks), so I’m surprised I actually bought a tin of this. Now, I find that it’s alright, but there are far tastier teas out there. Doesn’t really taste that strong to me (maybe it’s the overpowering lavender?) and a spoonful of honey really covers up most of the flavors, so try not to use honey.

One note: I think I brewed this for too short of a time, because my cup didn’t come out nearly as dark and red as the picture shown. I used a French press, and I noticed most of the tea just sat around in the bottom without moving around. The liquid ended up being a dirty blonde-ish color. You might have better luck with a brewing device that has more surface area.

This is my favorite afternoon tea. It’s comforting without being too sweet or smoky, and tastes great solo or with milk and sugar (or agave). It also does well on the second steeping.

This tea has a strong, complex and spicy aroma- unique and surprising. I may have over-brewed my first cup a bit, but still enjoyed it, although didn’t think it was OVERTLY special. I controlled my next brew a bit better, and with a touch of cream and agave, the tea was absolutely fantastic. Incredibly flavorful and relaxing, this has quickly become my favorite black tea of the moment.