Wenshan Baozhong

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by Auggy

• “Iced from yesterday. Disappointingly bland. Not sure if it is the tea or me, but considering how yummy this tea is hot, I'm guessing I didn't steep long enough before icing. That makes me...” Read full tasting note
    aug3zimm 911 tasting notes
  • “Wow, this oolong is delicious! The first few steepings deliver a rich buttery taste and aroma that, like cheesecake, almost becomes difficult to continue drinking. After the first three steepings...” Read full tasting note
    teafreak 62 tasting notes
  • “Rich, green, and mouth-filling, but still light in body as Bao Zhong tends to be. There's a little chewy fruitiness in the taste, like a sweet strawberry. I don't know that I've ever had a tea from...” Read full tasting note
    sirbrillig 108 tasting notes

From Red Blossom Tea Company

Wenshan, the range of mountains that surround Taipei in northern Taiwan produces a type of oolong using techniques from the Wuyi Mountains of Fujian. Called Baozhongs or “Pouchongs”, these teas are twisted rather than rolled, and are the lightest oxidized amongst the Formosa teas.

Our Wenshan Baozhong comes from Pinglin – an area whose terroir and skilled craftsman combine to produce the most reputable Baozhongs. Unlike msot Wenshan Baozhongs on the market, ours is barely roasted – we prefer to allow the leaves to speak for themselves.

Harvested in April, the tea is smooth and sweet, with a subtle hint of cane sugar and cream.

About Red Blossom Tea Company View company

Iced from yesterday. Disappointingly bland. Not sure if it is the tea or me, but considering how yummy this tea is hot, I’m guessing I didn’t steep long enough before icing.

That makes me feel like I’ve put it on a cake. Which I didn’t. Though now that I think about it, I’m intrigued by the thought of tea-flavored icing.

ETA: Hmm, maybe it isn’t me because as the tea warms up a bit, more of the yummy flavor comes out. So I think this is a tea that is best hot.

takgoti

Hmm…tea icing. Could be scrumptious. Could be a disaster waiting to happen. It does make one wonder. Someone has to have made this. I believe I might have heard tale of a green tea cupcake around these parts.

Auggy

Oooh, green tea cupcake. I’m intrigued!

Icing-wise, I’m thinking of a pound-cake like icing. Maybe on a green tea cupcake. Hehe.

Carolyn

In Isa Chandra Moskowitz’s “Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World” she has a recipe for green tea cupcakes with green tea glaze and almond flowers. Her recipes are absolutely out of this world. You might want to take a look at that. (Or, come to think of it, I might want to try this out.)

I ♥ NewYorkCiTEA

Tea icing does sound yummy to me.

Auggy

@Carolyn: OMG, that sounds good. I’m going to have to hunt that down. Thanks!

Wow, this oolong is delicious! The first few steepings deliver a rich buttery taste and aroma that, like cheesecake, almost becomes difficult to continue drinking. After the first three steepings it mellows out into a nice sweet, relaxing drink. While this comes from Taiwan, it reminds me of a high quality green tieguanyin.

I highly recommend this tea, but I also recommend not to expect this to be a daily tea, but rather a special treat.

dylanj

Sounds delicious. In my experience with the finest baozhong I get a strong cinnamon or brown sugar sweetness on the aroma of the wet leaf. Similar experience with this one?

Teafreak

Absolutely! The smell of the leaves and the taste is delicious and has a rich sweet taste

Rich, green, and mouth-filling, but still light in body as Bao Zhong tends to be. There’s a little chewy fruitiness in the taste, like a sweet strawberry. I don’t know that I’ve ever had a tea from Red Blossom that I didn’t love.

TeaBrat