Green Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by steepster

From Rishi Tea

Sencha is the most beloved tea of Japan. Developed in the 18th century, the process of making Sencha has evolved into the art and science of preserving the fresh green character and healthy components of tealeaves.
Our Sencha is organically cultivated in Kagoshima, Japan, where the beneficial climate, rich volcanic soil and abundant hot springs nurture Sencha, giving the tea a deep flavor and juicy mouthfeel.

About Rishi Tea View company

I got a pot of this while eating out with my dad today after he helped me move a few things. It was very good. Nice grassy taste with a little bit of sweetness to it.

205 °F / 96 °C 8 min or more

I love Japanese green teas. I remember this is one of the first sencha’s I’ve tasted when I first started out on tea.

Leaf quality is expected, a mis of broken, small leaves. Very delicate, and it’s beautiful smell. It’s fragrance remind’s me of polished rice, after is was done drying.

I steeped this in my 200ml Tokoname kyusu. A little over or under a minute, I can’t remember. I’m afraid I have become to used to eyeballing my water, but it’s somewhere around that temperature, where steam rises, and a fair amount of small bubbles.

The taste is clean, crisp, vegetable like, with a mouthwatering bittersweet finish. Refreshing. All the basic characteristics of a decent Sencha.

I realized that after drinking tea for a long time, I guess you become to used to the ritual. Some may say you’re being lazy, but learning to make good tea without being overly pretentious, and exact is a pretty cool thing to me.

Alone, this tea is too “green” for me. I wanted to love it. I just started drinking loose leaf tea (threw in the bag!) relatively recently and wanted to add green tea with all of it’s health benefits to my repetoire.

I gave this a low rating BUT WAIT -- with Teavana Samurai Chai Mate (blend of 3/4 tsp each steeped at 1.25 minutes at 170) this is actually a fave for me! What a difference. So it’s not 100% “green” but I’ve drank about 48 oz of it this evening alone, so I’ve made up for that!

Used less leaf than last time (2 Tbsp for about 3 cups of water) and I like it better this way.

This was one of my first forays into green tea. I remember thinking to myself “If all green teas taste like grass then I don’t think I like green tea.” I quickly learned most Japanese green teas taste grassy because they are steamed, as opposed to a variety of Chinese green tea which is pan fried. The moral of this story is if you like fresh grassy tastes that pop out at your taste buds then you will love this tea. If you like tea that has more subtle flavor that is less grassy in taste go for a chinese green tea instead. I can’t give this tea the worst rating because it is good quality for the type of tea it is, I just don’t like steamed green teas.

OhioAtty

Hi, Fred! I agree with your assessment, and my taste preferences, it seems, are aligned with yours. But I found if you blend this, it can make all the difference. I mixed with Teavana’s Samurai Chai Mate and this went from one of my least favorite teas, to one of my faves. Just a thought. :)

So this is what I’ve been missing with years of bagged green teas? This one was my first attempt at a self-brewed loose leaf sencha, and I’m not sure what to think. That vegetal aroma takes some getting used to – more so than the taste – and I preferred it on second steep. Think I’ll make the water cooler next time.

If the taste is too grassy for you, try using less hot water. Used 3 tablespoons on half a liter of water. The taste was perfect!

This is my first experience with Japanese green tea. It is juicy and rich, with slight buttery low note and tropical flower high note.

Think next time i’ll use a lower steeping time ‘cause 4’ seems to be too much!…