Formosa Oolong

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Raisins, Roasted, Sweet, Grapes, Tobacco, Wood, Apricot, Leather
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaterTotter

• “This is an alright tea. Tastes ok, kind of roasty or nutty I guess. Not sure what I was expecting but I guess I was craving something else because this didn't hit the spot for me this morning.” Read full tasting note
    CK 337 tasting notes
  • “Backlog: I do love a good Formosa Oolong. My favorite Oolong teas still tend to be AliShan but my earliest experiences with Oolong tea began with Formosa ... Formosa was my first Oolong, and in...” Read full tasting note
    LiberTEAS 4458 tasting notes
  • “I got this in the $1 Box from Simple Loose Leaf Tea. I've had it a few times now with different brewing methods. A lightly roasted oolong that starts off with a robust roasted/raisiny taste and...” Read full tasting note
    sirturtletheknight 2 tasting notes
  • “So I had some of this hot last night and don't really remember exactly how it tasted. Since I only did 1 steep, I decided to throw the leaves into a Mason jar and cold brew it.. And the result is...” Read full tasting note
    vc 40 tasting notes

From Simple Loose Leaf

A dark oolong tea from Taiwan, formerly known as Formosa. Deep raisiny and ripe fruit aroma, autumn ‘leafy’ note. Lingering flavor and smooth, a refreshingly fruity astringency. A perfect introduction to the world of Taiwanese tea.

About Simple Loose Leaf View company

This is an alright tea. Tastes ok, kind of roasty or nutty I guess. Not sure what I was expecting but I guess I was craving something else because this didn’t hit the spot for me this morning.

Backlog:

I do love a good Formosa Oolong. My favorite Oolong teas still tend to be AliShan but my earliest experiences with Oolong tea began with Formosa … Formosa was my first Oolong, and in those earlier days in my tea journey, I believed that Oolong was Formosa and I didn’t know that there are so many different types of Oolong. I’m happy to have discovered Oolong as I have, but, Formosa Oolong will always hold a special place in my heart.

This is a really good Formosa Oolong. It has a very autumnal type of taste with it’s earthy notes and the sweet, dried fruit notes that it has. A warm, toasty taste. Sweet.

This is a tea that you definitely want to take the time to infuse multiple times because the later infusions become tastier than the earlier infusions – sweeter, more intensely flavored.

Here’s my full-length review: http://sororiteasisters.com/2014/06/05/formosa-oolong-from-simple-loose-leaf/

I got this in the $1 Box from Simple Loose Leaf Tea. I’ve had it a few times now with different brewing methods.

A lightly roasted oolong that starts off with a robust roasted/raisiny taste and dies down quickly into a mellow sweetness.
I enjoy this tea but I would say it’s not really worth it to brew it Gongfu. I could only get 3 solid infusions from it before the flavor was quite weak. Still pretty tasty for those first 3 infusions though.

Flavors: Raisins, Roasted, Sweet

So I had some of this hot last night and don’t really remember exactly how it tasted. Since I only did 1 steep, I decided to throw the leaves into a Mason jar and cold brew it.. And the result is really good! This is a lightly roasted flavour and kind of sweet.

I was beyond excited when I got my box of Simple Loose Leaf to try for $1! They were beyond generous in how much tea they sent; I honestly couldn’t believe my eyes at first. All three bags were bulging and hardly fit in my 100g containers when emptied into them.

Craving a nice oolong for weeks, the Formosa Oolong was my obvious first choice. I was a bit disappointed upon scooping out the tea to look at it. The leaves were very broken, dry, and brittle, with some dust reminiscent of Lipton. However, for a dollar, I wasn’t going to complain, especially without giving it a shot.

I’m rarely a fan of short steepings, so I decided to try this one at 3 minutes or so. I hadn’t unpacked my little yixing pot from college yet, so a roomy paper filter sufficed. A few minutes later, I sat down with my first steamy, piping hot cup of oolong in a long time…and my stomach sank a little on the first sip.

Note, I’m used to high-quality, full leaf oolongs with a great complexity of flavor. I shouldn’t have expected that out of this tea, even just by its appearance. I realized that I’d probably left the filter in the cup for a little too long, as it had become obnoxiously bitter and astringent like Lipton, the type that leaves the back of your throat dry. I gave up halfway through that cup.

Since then, I became more sensitive to this tea’s steeping needs, and have had much more luck with it. Right now, it’s my go-to nighttime tea, but that may be moreso so that I can finish it up. When steeped correctly, you definitely get some good grapeseed and tobacco flavors with a hint of dry woodiness that a more amateur palate would probably enjoy. This would be a great gateway darker oolong for those that want to give it a shot without “wasting” more complex ones on them.

Overall, price aside, I wouldn’t reorder this one at full price, or really any price above $1. I was happy with the Simple Loose Leaf experience, and had other good teas in the box, but this one definitely fell short.

Flavors: Grapes, Tobacco, Wood

sirturtletheknight

My thoughts on this tea are similar.

It’s still a Sunday, which means that I’m still able to talk about my latest Sunday Tea and Books tasting.

The tea was medium-dark brown and smelled earthy and slightly fruity. Simple Loose Leaf describes this tea as being “raisiny” and “leafy”. I can kind of taste those flavours if I squint, but instead I sense elements like leather and tobacco, and possibly apricots. Those flavours are really faint, though – overall, there isn’t whole lot going on. This is a weird tea in that it doesn’t seem like other oolongs: it doesn’t have the floral character I associate with green oolongs, or the malty, bready kick that I associate with dark ones. In fact, it reminds me most of houjicha. If I had to describe this tea using a single word, it would be “inobtrusive”.

But which fictional character did it remind me of? Well, if you happen to like books by Guy Gavriel Kay, I think you’ll find my choice, and the reasons behind it, a pleasant surprise: http://christinavasilevski.com/2014/06/sunday-tea-books-formosa-oolong/

Flavors: Apricot, Leather, Tobacco

Boiling 4 min, 15 sec 3 tsp 24 OZ / 709 ML

I really enjoyed the Formosa Oolong from Simple Loose Leaf. It was a super mild taste but flavorful enough to keep you interested. It brews really nicely into a golden brown color and would be great for a relaxing tea. I had mine unsweetened and it was just fine in my opinion. I would certainly buy this in the future.

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 1 tsp

I selected this tea as part of May’s box for the Simple Loose Leaf Selection club. This is a light/medium roast oolong with dark raisin, cherry wood, charred earth and leafy green notes. Slight astringency as well.

This oolong was okay even with a broken dry leaf – it’s a good starter roasty oolong to try before going into trying the expensive, mega roast oolongs out there.

Full review of this tea, and the May Simple Loose Leaf Selection club box, on my blog The Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/may-simple-loose-leaf-selection-club-oolong-owl-tea-review/ (also, coupon code!)

Sorry for being MIA lately. I was off traveling around and getting married! And bonus I bought some new Stash tea while I was out in Portland so I can’t wait to try those :)

I swear I already reviewed this tea.. but I can’t find it. Anyways, I still enjoy it. I think oolongs are becoming my new favorite type of tea (over black). Nice and roasty with a light flavor to it. Yummm.

mj

Congrats to you!

Mikumofu

Congratulations!

Lee

Congrats!!! And Portland Rocks!!!

I was excited to try one month of Simple Loose Leaf for a dollar! I went with the five samples instead of picking two. I’m actually kind of surprised at how big the samples were. I might not be able to subscribe to Simple Loose Leaf right now, but at least I learned that the sample sizes are bigger than I expected. I used two teaspoons of leaves – not sure if I should have, but I think I’ve had another Formosa Oolong that recommended two teaspoons. The dry leaves are dark and flakey, not like the little green bundles an oolong usually consists of.

Steep #1 // 2 min after boiling // 3 1/2 min steep
It’s always difficult to say what a Formosa Oolong tastes like. It’s autumn leafy. A bit of charcoal.. but not to the amount I usually dislike. Maybe hints of cherry, a bit smoky. It seems like two teaspoons was the right call because it doesn’t seem overdone. It’s such a different flavor than other teas. I like it, but I think the discontinued Whispering Pines Formosa was slightly better.

Steep #2 // just boiled //5 min
This cup was less spectacular, the leaves had that oversteeped taste (not sure if anyone understands what I mean when I say this – not astringent, but the cup has had a slightly leafy/bark taste). It’s probably my fault though, and the not the fault of the tea. I enjoyed it anyway, as that flavor was mostly at the top of the cup. When it the cooled, it tasted like cucumber or some sort of melon.