Bao Zhong Oolong Tea -- Organic

Oolong Tea
Floral, Popcorn
Edit tea info Last updated by Nxtdoor

From Tao Tea Leaf

Grown at a high elevation in Taiwan, gives this tea a great cooling effect to the body. With their long twisted dark green leaves these guys open up at their own pace. This allows the taste to change and become soft and less green as you steep. Its refreshing floral notes create a creamy taste in the mouth that makes you want to go back for more.

Region: Pinlin Township, Taipei,Taiwan.

Steeping Guide:

Teaware: Glass or ceramic Gaiwan

Amount: 3g /1½ teaspoons

Temperature: 100°c (212°F)

Steeping Time: We suggest that you rinse your tea leaves before enjoying them, simply add water to the leaves and discard. This wakes them up and they are ready to go. For your first steep, we suggest a 30-50 second steep. For the second steep 10 seconds is best, simply add 5 seconds to each of your next steeps. This will allow you to experience the full range of tastes the leaves have to offer.

*These steeping directions are for a traditional Gong Fu style tea, if you are brewing this tea in a regular cup we recommend steeping for 2 – 3 minutes. This tea can be steeped 4 times.

About Tao Tea Leaf View company

Six days have passed since my first visit to Tao Tea Leaf and I have thought of my visit each of the six days. If something was so memorable that you remembered it so fondly for so long you would likely try to recreate the moment, and today I attempted to do just that. I needed a gaiwan and rather than order something online I decided Tao Tea Leaf was just the place. I have my very first gaiwan now, I feel so grown up about tea! :)

Also, I blew through my small amount of Shui Xian Lao Cong so I had to buy more, along with this here tea. I added the info off Tao’s website, to the letter.

This tea smells floral, almost like jasmine, and the wet leaves smell of jasmine too. The liquor is a pale pale yellow, and tastes only slightly floral. I was a little worried at first, needlessly I now know. It is so creamy too.

The question I have is, I’m getting a slight bitterness as it sits and cools. Is it supposed to? Is it something I did? I guess these are somewhat rhetorical questions but if someone knows an answer, I’d love to know!

As for the visit, I brought my partner with me, we ordered a pot of tea also and sat there, in the tranquility of the shop and enjoyed it together. Met Tao himself who was so helpful, so hospitable. Too bad this store is so far away from where I live, and not “on the way” to anything I frequent. But then maybe my wallet likes that it is so.

So happy that you found an oolong that you love. So jealous that you get to go to Tao Tea Leaf…..

One day dex, one day…

Tao really does have a lovely store and he is so genuine and passionate about the tea he sells.

The first steep of this was amazing. Very vegetal, buttery, and mildly floral. I really don’t like florals at all and barely noticed it so that was fine by me!
The buttery part does lend itself to “popcorn” but I would never have picked out that descriptor without looking at the notes above. I consider Genmaicha to be closer, but in a different way of course. If you could combine the two, you’d definitely have a great snack alternative. And since popcorn IS my fave indulgence, well I’d be in heaven.
Also, first steep was rather drying. The second was less so, but then I found it to be more flowery, so not as tasty IMO. Even still, I really enjoyed it overall. Very tasty! Too bad I only had a sample. I may see if they have any next time I’m at the shop.

an amazing tea!

when i smell the leaves dry, i smell nothing.

when i smell the leaves wet, it has a unique smell…. rice krispies bars (you know the cereal?)

when i smell the brewed tea, i smell rice krispies bars and a hint of popcorn.

when i taste the brewed tea, i taste popcorn and floral.

i rate this tea a 100 because of its aromas and flavors.

many thanks to scribbles for this amazing tea!

Flavors: Floral, Popcorn

200 °F / 93 °C 0 min, 15 sec 3 g 8 OZ / 250 ML

I’ll give this one another try, but I wasn’t overly fond of it the first time around – not so much into florals. if I don’t like it, the rest is yours :)