Dan Cong Phoenix

Oolong Tea
Oolong Tea Leaves
Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Roasted, Stonefruits
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “*Lewis & Clark Traveling Teabox - Tea #24* Another twisty dark oolong! I like this one more than the other, the Red Robe, because this has plenty of peach flavor.. it's odd that it tastes like...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1415 tasting notes
  • “From the *Lewis and Clark TTB*. No rating because this is my second Dancong Phoenix (the first I had was well more than a year ago). Brewed Western-style. Steeping times: 2 min, 4, 8. Grapes...” Read full tasting note
    KiwiDelight 140 tasting notes
  • “This tea sample was provided for free in exchange for review. You can find it here: http://www.teasenz.com/feng-huang-dan-cong-phoenix-oolong-tea#.U-pCB_ldXX8 I have little experience with...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 544 tasting notes

From teasenz

Aroma of lotus and peach with hint of cinnamon. Straight from the beautiful mountain in Guangdong Province that is named after the legendary phoenix. Humid weather combined with cool, high-altitude temperatures and very fertile soil results in one of China’s most famous dark oolongs.

Steeping Time 2-4 min
Tea Region Chaozhou Village
Tea Province Guangdong

About teasenz View company

Lewis & Clark Traveling Teabox – Tea #24
Another twisty dark oolong! I like this one more than the other, the Red Robe, because this has plenty of peach flavor.. it’s odd that it tastes like that, but I know these dan cong oolongs tend to do that. The Red Robe is mostly charcoal to me while this one still has hints of charcoal, but also PEACH. A little smokiness but I guess that naturally occurs with the charcoal. The second steep lost most of the peach and was sadly charcoal. When Teasenz was offering to send me samples, they sent over a new Dan Cong not in stock currently, a green one that is REALLY good. It’s like a Wen Shan Bao Zhong. So keep an eye out for it if you place an order at Teasenz!
Steep #1 // 10 min after boiling // 3 min
Steep #2 // just boiled // 3 min

From the Lewis and Clark TTB. No rating because this is my second Dancong Phoenix (the first I had was well more than a year ago).

Brewed Western-style. Steeping times: 2 min, 4, 8.

Grapes dominate the dry leaf aroma. The wet leaf aroma is floral as well as fruity, more evocative of mid/late-summer flowers rather than spring flowers. The peach-colored liquor is medium-bodied, clear, and muted bright. My brain is confused – it thinks the tea is heated juice! It really does taste like pure juice. Incredibly fruity and sweet, with notes of cherries, apricot, grapes, and starfruit.

Because of the flavor profile, this tea seems like it should be drunk during cool summer mornings or throughout autumn days.

Cameron B.

I’m really glad you liked it! It’s funny, I didn’t really get a lot of flavors from this besides just roasty leaves. :P

KiwiDelight

I thought it was a given that it would be roasty, so I didn’t feel the need to comment on it. Anyway, basically it was FRUIT.

I read your note after I published mine and was happy so to see you that also thought about autumn >w<

Stephanie

DANCONG! My fave :)

I have little experience with oxidized oolongs in general, but I always seem drawn to them when browsing. So I decided to choose both this tea and the Da Hong Pao as two of my free samples from teasenz. The leaves of this tea are dark, long, and twisty, similar to some black teas. They smell of autumn leaves with a tart fruitiness and some honey. I brewed about a teaspoon to a teaspoon and a half for 4 minutes.

The brewed tea smells very roasty with a lot of autumn leaf. I can also smell fruit and a bit of honey. I’m not sure if “autumn leaves” is a good descriptor for this flavor, but that’s really what I reminds me of! There’s a definite roasted characteristic to this tea, and it’s quite lovely. The main flavor is definitely that “autumn leaf” taste, though. There is a rather strong stonefruit note, reminding me most of apricots or tart plums, and it’s present throughout the sip. I definitely get some floral as well, although I couldn’t tell you what kind. On their website they list lotus as one of the flavors, so maybe that’s it? It’s not heady at all. The only complaint I have about this tea is the way it leaves my mouth feeling. I wouldn’t quite call it astringent, but it’s almost dusty-feeling? I’m not sure how to describe it. Anyway, a small price to pay for taste! :P

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Floral, Roasted, Stonefruits

boychik

Dancong needs to be rinsed for a few secs. And gongfu. Western doesn’t do a justice. I was turned off and didn’t want to try when I made them western. Just my 2c. Sorry;)

Cameron B.

Never be sorry, silly. Advice is always welcome! I actually ordered a gaiwan yesterday so I’ll try some gong fu when it gets here. Tired of burning my fingers. >.<

yyz

That’s true, they also tend to be more sadtringent than other Oolong’s. If it is a strong flavour oolong I found even brewing 30s may be too much for a first infusion. I got some and used Teavivre instructions the first time and it was way to long a steep for a first steep. On the other hand I do have one light flavoured Dancong that is the only tea I western brew. If you find it to roasty at first do as boychik reccomends and rinse it at least once.

boychik

I just feel like im nagging you constantly : Do gongfu, do gongfu!
I really, really like my reintroduction to Dancong. Jing Tea shop carries amazing teas. i think i should ask teasenz for the samples, just to confirm.

KiwiDelight

Anoter 2 cents: Dancong tastes divine with gongfu. True story.

Pics for gaiwan please! Also there’s another way to hold the gaiwan when you pour: http://www.teanerd.com/2007/03/beginners-guide-to-gaiwans.html