Mountain Malt

Edit tea info Last updated by Carolyn

From The Simple Leaf

Mountain Malt, from the Gingia tea estate, is one of our most popular breakfast teas. The leaves are tightly rolled (in India, leaves rolled in this way are called BPS – Broken Pekoe Souchong), and produce a robust, complex liquor that will entice even coffee lovers. While some may find Assam teas a little too strong for their taste, we think Mountain Malt displays just the right balance of strength and flavor. It has an abundance of that Assam malt flavor that makes the region so famous. Mountain Malt is best enjoyed plain (it produces a bright amber liquor as shown in the photos), or if you prefer,you can add a dash of milk and a little sweetener for a more chai-like experience. Enjoy hot or iced.

Origin: Gingia Estate / Assam, India

1 tsp. / 6oz cup
190 – 208° boiling water
3 minute infusion

About The Simple Leaf View company

I’ve drunk this for a couple of mornings now and am trying to reconcile my impressions with those of my fellow Steepsterites. Somehow I don’t perceive this one as big and bold at all; it brews up a light to medium amber, with some delicate flavor notes. On my first tasting I got a hint of cooked veggies (thank you, Harfatum, for letting me know I’m not hallucinating, although for me it was asparagus rather than Brussels sprouts!), and today I picked up on the bready quality more. Contrary to its name, it doesn’t strike me as super-malty, either. I will continue tasting and exploring this one.