Dong Ding

Oolong Tea
Edit tea info Last updated by TeaGuy19

From thepuriTea

Also known as Tung Ting Oolong or Frozen Summit Oolong, Dong Ding Oolong is one of Taiwan’s most famous teas. Its small, pellet-like rolled leaves produce an aromatic, lemon yellow brew with scents of gardenias, mulched grass and buttery vanilla pastries. The flavor of Dong Ding is true to the aroma, with the added complexity of toasted nuts, fresh cream and a slight astringency. A velvety mouthfeel transforms into a slightly drying finish with lasting flavors of honeydew, flowers and nuts. The second infusion is truly remarkable. It’s even smoother, creamier and more floral than the first. Later infusions reveal an enticing mineral edge and more honeyed flavors. Pair Dong Ding Oolong with simple, creamy foods, such as panna cotta or uniced vanilla cake dipped in warm cream.

About thepuriTea View company

Our mission is simple: to provide gourmet teas and practical teaware. We source all of our teas and teaware directly from China, Taiwan and India to ensure the maximum quality, value and freshness for our customers. By cutting out the middleman in our selection process, we can pass on savings to our customers and guarantee the quality of each and every one of our products.

This is from a while back — I bought a few samples from them when they were going out of business. Yes, I’m just trying it now. I’m trying to get to know my tea collection better for possible teabox or sale/swap pile possibilities! It’s a pity because this oolong is really good.

Steep #1 // 2 tsps // rinse // 17 min after boiling // 2 min
Though they suggested 180 degrees, my favorite oolong in the past was steeped using just boiled water, so I didn’t want to wait too long. I think I’ve just recently started with this type of oolong and they seem to be a little like ti guan yin, but a little bit different. Flavor notes here: pineapple, sugar, something that reminds me of licorice but doesn’t make it weird. Super smooth and very tasty!

Steep #2 // few minutes after boiling // 2 min
This cup was too bitter. I think the ideal steeping was the last cup. Oolong steeping is too tough to figure out! The leaves here look exactly like the Teavivre Ti Guan Yin but it steeps so differently. This one wasn’t undrinkable but the bitterness killed it. I probably didn’t need to use two teaspoons either.

Steep #3 // 22 min after boiling // 2 min
Still a hint of bitterness, probably because I only steeped half a mug this time. I don’t have enough leaves to ruin this nice oolong! The first cup was delicious though.

Pretty good but not my favorite, I would not turn down a cup or a sample of this.