Edit tea info Last updated by Tea Pet
Boiling 3 min, 30 sec 8 oz / 236 ml

Available from 1 seller.

2 Images

• “I love the mornings I awake thinking about a certain tea that I want to drink. On this hot, smoky Sunday morning, I awoke thinking about this tea. Whenever, I drink this tea, I am reminded of a...” Read full tasting note
    hesperjune 168 tasting notes
  • “Oh my goodness. This is a perfect, *perfect* breakfast tea. It's bold, malty, and has a flavor that I just can't put my finger on. It almost reminds me of brown rice with a touch of butter and...” Read full tasting note
    kalmal 789 tasting notes
  • “Had this tea this morning, in a travel mug with milk and sugar. The smell is wonderfully light and fresh for a black tea, with some lovely toasty maltiness. It tastes like... rye bread, with...” Read full tasting note
    teataku 184 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

About the Tea
This very bold, sweet, caramely brew is harvested at the base of Mount Kenya. The mineral rich and dry soils of Kenya offer a malty cup similar to assam but lacking bitterness. This is an awesome morning cuppa!

Notes
Malt
Mineral
Fruit

How to brew the perfect cup:
Steep 1 teaspoon of leaves

Kenyan Black Tea

Caffeine Content
High

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

I love the mornings I awake thinking about a certain tea that I want to drink.
On this hot, smoky Sunday morning, I awoke thinking about this tea.
Whenever, I drink this tea, I am reminded of a story I saw long ago, in I believe a National Geographic.
I do not even know if the story took place in Kenya, Or Africa or anywhere even close to where there is a Kenya Sunrise, but the article was about a high-end resort that people stayed at, however, there were giraffes everywhere around the place.
There was one photo where there was a nicely dressed couple sharing breakfast/tea and a giraffe had his head stuck through the window checking out what they were doing.
To my young mind, this was just so incredibly awesome.(and apparently to my 29 year old mind as well, if it still is embedded in my brain)
I remember thinking I wanted to be a fancy lady sipping tea with giraffes.
This tea is different the moment you open the tin, because the leaves are not really leaves at all, but instead they are tiny little round tea shaped balls.
The odor of the dry leaf is lovely, bright and with something rather fruit-like maybe?
I agree with the description where it is rather like your assam-y breakfast teas, bright and encouraging awakening, but it lacks that strong astringent
bitterness that some of those teas can have, both in odor as well as taste.
It brews a beautiful dark red cuppa.
The smell of tea also mimics the dry leaf, bright with just a slight fruit and spice note.
Taste again is a little like assam, malty and such, but brighter and lighter.
It lacks the heaviness that assam can have as well (FYI, I am not dissing on Assam, I love me some assam)
I think this is a prefect summer breakfast tea.
I really enjoy sipping it.
I also think it would be perfectly acceptable to drink with giraffes, you know…in case you have some dropping by later for a visit;)

JustJames

i’m drinking a golden needle assam right now…. lighter and brighter on my side too!

Oh! thats sounds lovely!

JustJames

we could always do a swap… this is a sample i bought from harney and sons but i have enough left to share. =0)

Hesper June

Here is the Giraffe Manor! I still want to go:)

Hesper June

Sure, James! Love to do a swap.
Is there anything else that you are interested in that’s in my cupboard?

gmathis

Tea with giraffes…that just has the making of a children’s storybook, doesn’t it?

Hesper June

It does, G! Probably why my child brain fell so madly in love with the idea.
Maybe I should visit and then write a book on my experience:)

Oh my goodness. This is a perfect, perfect breakfast tea. It’s bold, malty, and has a flavor that I just can’t put my finger on. It almost reminds me of brown rice with a touch of butter and salt. There is a sweet fruit like flavor that reminds me of an apple. It’s such an interesting tea and I love it.

Had this tea this morning, in a travel mug with milk and sugar. The smell is wonderfully light and fresh for a black tea, with some lovely toasty maltiness. It tastes like… rye bread, with honey, maybe some hints of maple syrup, and heavy cream… it’s making me think of bread pudding, minus the cinnamon. Highly delicious, a very good choice for breakfast! :)