2013 Ontario 1357 Shou Pu-erh Cake

Pu-erh Tea
Pu Erh Tea
Autumn Leaf Pile, Clay, Mushrooms, Cacao, Camphor, Sweet, Forest Floor, Limestone, Smooth, Wet Earth, Wet Moss, Wet wood, Brown Sugar, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Vanilla, Caramel, Cocoa
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Whispering Pines Tea Company
Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 6 g 4 oz / 125 ml

• “The “mildest” shou I have had, which is great because I’m a novice, and was about to give up on cooked pu’erh. It doesn’t help that I keep running out of the room to...” Read full tasting note
    rainycityjen 61 tasting notes
  • “More than half the day has gone by, I survived a potluck, head’s killing me and I haven’t had any actual tea. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to try today, but ended up...” Read full tasting note
    Inkay 278 tasting notes
  • “Gongfu brewed in a shiboridashi . This is a lighter shou puerh which is smooth with forest notes. As in it is nowhere close to what most people would call earthy but has just enough to give it a...” Read full tasting note
    JohnGrebe 260 tasting notes
  • “An good daily drinker and probably a good intro to ripe pu’er cake! I got notes of bitter sweet, wet earth, cream, and mostly walnut. With each steeping the tea got more brown sugar sweet and...” Read full tasting note
    awkwardsoul 1230 tasting notes

From Whispering Pines Tea Company

Our 2013 Ontario 1357 is a shou pu-erh harvested in 2012 and fermented from December ’12 through January ’13. The 100g cakes were pressed in late Autumn, 2014. It was produced from the best Yongde county spring ’12 material and blended using grades 1, 3, 5, 7 and golden gong ting for complexity. Sweet, smooth, and highly aromatic, Ontario 1357 delivers a vibrant mouthfeel somewhat between a lightly fermented shou and an old raw pu-erh. Notes of brown sugar and walnut are at the forefront, with vanilla and cream balancing it out. A gorgeous vanilla finish lingers with cooling camphor on the tip of the tongue and lips. This tea has a very strong yet calming qi and is a favorite of mine for rainy days and pre-yoga. A fantastic shou for drinking now or further aging!

About Whispering Pines Tea Company View company

The “mildest” shou I have had, which is great because I’m a novice, and was about to give up on cooked pu’erh. It doesn’t help that I keep running out of the room to tend to poopy baby boy and my tea keeps going cold. Also, adds to perception of compost smell. :)

Medium infusions had a pretty peach tone. So, visually very nice in my white porcelain cup. It took two 15-sec infusions to get the deepest color.

No bitterness, mineral earthy taste, silky texture.

Flavors: Autumn Leaf Pile, Clay, Mushrooms

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 7 g 8 OZ / 236 ML

More than half the day has gone by, I survived a potluck, head’s killing me and I haven’t had any actual tea. I had a hard time deciding what I wanted to try today, but ended up choosing to give this a shot. Cake itself smells mushroomy and is easy enough to break into. I throw 5 grams into the gaiwan, give it a quick rinse and a fairly quick first steep.

The leaves have a spiced, sweetish scent, and the liquor brews up a fairly deep red. I’m taste mushroom and camphor from the very first scent. Super smooth, and I get a sweetish finish as it goes down. I get some hints of cocoa out of the second steep. I got completely sucked into some work and totally forgot about and oversteeped the third go around. But the tea still came out well, not too surprisingly. Still smooth, and a very distinct cacao flavor came through. I did one more steep which confirmed my worry that I probably pulled most of the flavor out during the oversteep, but I enjoyed this one, so I’ll have it again soon.

Flavors: Cacao, Camphor, Mushrooms, Sweet

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 5 g 3 OZ / 100 ML

Gongfu brewed in a shiboridashi . This is a lighter shou puerh which is smooth with forest notes. As in it is nowhere close to what most people would call earthy but has just enough to give it a subtle complexity. Personally I enjoy the cake version of this tea more than the loose leaf version. It is hard to place what exactly is different so I wonder if it is a matter of the loose tea being kept in a bag vs the cake which was exposed to air through the paper wrapper & cloth bag the whole time.

Boiling

An good daily drinker and probably a good intro to ripe pu’er cake!

I got notes of bitter sweet, wet earth, cream, and mostly walnut. With each steeping the tea got more brown sugar sweet and nutty. Very smooth texture! I didn’t get much cha qi/ tea drunk’n so I ended up drinking this late into the evening. A very friendly, ready to drink, daily drinker ripe that is smooth and easy to chug!

Full review on Oolong Owl http://oolongowl.com/2013-ontario-1357-ripe-shou-puer-from-whispering-pines-tea-co-tea-review/

This is a part of a Shou collection that I have been waiting to try for quite some time. I’ve finally been giving the chance to partake in this treat. The compressed maocha is loosely compacted. You can see the press marks clearly on the leaves. I placed a generous chunk in my warmed gaiwan. I gave this brew a shake and let it sit for a little bit. I opened the lid and took in this enticing aroma. I could note a damp wooded and earth aroma. These leaves give off a forest floor aroma. My gaiwan emitted a tender sweetness in the background amidst this earth and moss tones. I washed the leaves and then prepared for brewing. The steeped leaves scent dried to a wet clay and limestone tone. This was going to be smooth and dry blend. The liquor began slightly crimson with bronze, but then it deepened to a blood maroon. The flavor was exquisite and wonderful! I took in flavors of light soil and earth. This brew gave a savory sensation and was full bodied. The flavor became deeper and thicker. The soup was very thirst quenching. The best part of this brew was the qi. I usually feel a strange and artificial qi from Shou, but this brew was different. It was powerful and steady! The brew kept a consistent steeping and went for over an hour. This long steeping gave me a repetitive dose of qi. In short, I was up for hours, haha. I’m very happy to have to try this tea, and I may just need to pick up a few of these beautiful cakes.

Flavors: Clay, Forest Floor, Limestone, Smooth, Wet Earth, Wet Moss, Wet wood

Boiling 0 min, 15 sec 7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
curlygc

Can’t wait to try this one!

Haveteawilltravel

You’ll love it!

My very first cake. Got this on a recommendation and sat down to try it. Put on some sounds of the Orient to get y mind right and broke a good chunk off of this cake. Put it in my Gaiwan after preheating it and let it sit for a while and soak up some of the steam in there. When I opened the lid and smelled it, I for some vegetal along with some vanilla and some dark chocolate. Did a rinse and steeped it according to the instructions on the Whispering Pines website.I was blown away. Brown sugar and honey was present as was a camphor that hung around on my lips. This thing never quit, either. Did maybe 12 steeping before it finally lost some of ts flavor and became a little watered down. This will be one that I will keep stocked in my cupboard!

Flavors: Brown Sugar, Camphor, Dark Chocolate, Honey, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 0 min, 30 sec 6 g 3 OZ / 88 ML

Thanks Brenden! :D

Very clean shou, no fermentation flavors. Strong notes of caramel, cocoa.. slightly sweet. Didn’t last as long as I was hoping – only got about 8 steeps before the color faded, but still good flavor in the following steeps. Great entry-level shou for those who might be new to puerh. No off-putting flavors, delicious consistency.

Flavors: Caramel, Cocoa, Sweet

7 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
looseTman

Agreed! I purchased a 1/2 LB of the 2013 Ontario 1357 Loose Shou Pu-erh and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Whispering Pines Tea Company

No worries! Glad you enjoyed it! :-)

i didn’t see the cake for this one when I posted this but here it is now so i copy and paste, hehe :)
anyways i brews this s**t up dark and strong and it looks like some coffee and make me feel real nice, will keep me awake for a late night dialysis session.
eleventy one points for this one!
maybe you can see my pic on instagram :)
Goo-goo Gajoob!

looseTman

Thomas, I your experience, how does the 1357 cake compare to the loose version? Thanks!