Wu Liang Hong Mao Feng Yunnan Black Tea

Apricot, Earth, Malt, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Tart
Edit tea info Last updated by Terri HarpLady

• “Another Sipdown from Yunnan Sourcing, & the 2014 version is on it's way to me, so it's sort of a joke to even count it. In fact, if the truth must be known, my sipdown extravaganza is a bit of a...” Read full tasting note
    Terri HarpLady 3090 tasting notes
  • “Since the BBB Box is soon to be on it's way back to me, I need to get cracking on the teas that were sent to me during the last round. This is one of three teas that Terri included as her...” Read full tasting note
    Silaena 5538 tasting notes
  • “*Terri* packed her teas for the *BBB* in tins this time and I couldn't find my card that told me which was which. I made this one because the other one was clearly a yunnan and I wasn't sure that's...” Read full tasting note
    TastyBrew 361 tasting notes
  • “Happy Sunday, tea fiends! A lovely Steepster friend (who would rather remain anonymous) sent me a box with ten different *Yunnan Sourcing* samples. I was very excited to see that a lot of them are...” Read full tasting note
    CameronB 959 tasting notes

From Yunnan Sourcing

“Wu Liang Hong Mao Feng” Yunnan Black Tea

A rare black tea where tea leaves and expert processing come together to create something unique and enjoyable. High altitude mao feng varietal grown in the Wu Liang mountains of Simao is briefly fermented by special technique and then finally processed into black tea. The taste and aroma is distinctly floral and fruit throughout!

A unique tea that is quite different from any other Yunnan Black tea that we offer!

About Yunnan Sourcing View company

Another Sipdown from Yunnan Sourcing, & the 2014 version is on it’s way to me, so it’s sort of a joke to even count it. In fact, if the truth must be known, my sipdown extravaganza is a bit of a farce, as I have received boxes of tea from several sources & placed a couple of orders. I won’t add those teas in until the last day of the month, but will probably end the month with more teas than I started with, LOL.

However, it won’t be a total waste of sipdowns, simply because I will have polished off all the older samples, TOMC & TOMCR, etc. Everything I have will be fairly new!
Except for all the puerh…sigh…but that’s a different story all together, right?

I like this tea (I should say something about the tea, right?)
It has a savory & floral quality, & a bit of spiciness that lingers & builds up to a tangy quality, kind of like buttermilk.

mrmopar

I don’t feel so bad about breaking my buying hiatus now as I can blame it on you as my inspiration.

MzPriss

I blame her (quietly, to myself) a lot for that. I like what she likes :)

TheTeaFairy

+1 with you guys…let’s blame Terri, lol.
I’m at 333 right now, trinity…that means I,m destined to spend the rest of my life with a cupboard over 300 sigh. Month of may has been more lethal than Black Friday and it’s only the 18th!!

Terri HarpLady

I love you guys, & it has always been my dream to inspire others with my music, so why not inspire them with my tea purchases too? LOL

Since the BBB Box is soon to be on it’s way back to me, I need to get cracking on the teas that were sent to me during the last round. This is one of three teas that Terri included as her offerings.

I forgot to make notes on this one today and it’s from eaaarly this morning. I vaguely remember this been a fairly smooth tasting tea with a slight..fruity note? Not taiwanese black fruity, but there was a hint there. I’ll take better notes next time! i did enjoy it though terri :)

Terri HarpLady

Glad to hear it! I DO need to get my act together & get that box on it’s way to you.

Terri packed her teas for the BBB in tins this time and I couldn’t find my card that told me which was which. I made this one because the other one was clearly a yunnan and I wasn’t sure that’s what i wanted. So dumped some of this one in my gaiwan and hoped for the best. I was SHOCKED to find out this is a yunnan. I couldn’t place what it was, but it isn’t like most yunnans. Not that I don’t like yunnans, I just don’t love yunnans. I’m really enjoying this. Slightly chocolatey, slightly fruity, a slight pepperiness to it. Very enjoyable!

Thanks Terri!

Happy Sunday, tea fiends! A lovely Steepster friend (who would rather remain anonymous) sent me a box with ten different Yunnan Sourcing samples. I was very excited to see that a lot of them are the more uncommon varieties (a lot of people have their pure bud teas). This was actually one of the YS teas I was most excited to try! The leaves are huge and twisty, and I would say they’re about half gold and half muted grey/brown. Dry scent is malty and surprisingly tart with stonefruit aroma.

The steeped tea also smells very fruity, specifically stonefruit-y. This tea definitely has the strongest natural stonefruit flavor I’ve ever found in a tea, and it’s somewhat tart because of that. I think I may have overleafed a bit (it’s always hard to tell with very large leaves) so it has a rather intense malty/sweet potato taste. It’s not bitter, though. There’s a little hint of earthiness as well which helps to sort of “anchor” everything and cut through the tart fruitiness a bit. Unlike any other Yunnan black tea I’ve had! :)

Flavors: Apricot, Earth, Malt, Smooth, Stonefruits, Sweet Potatoes, Tart

Sample from the Terri ‘s box – awesome never ending .
Gongfu
4g 100ml gaiwan 205F
Rinse/15/15/20/30/45 etc
Leaves are long twisted black and some gold. Smells heavenly. This tea is not as heavy sweet as others from YS. Nevertheless I like it. It’s different. Malty, nutty, not sweet, but there is sweetness in aftertaste. Some slight astringency but not unpleasant.
Thank you so much Terri for such a great variety of teas you supplied me with.

0 min, 15 sec 4 g 3 OZ / 100 ML
boychik

I lost a count maybe it’s steep 8 @ 1 min with homemade carrot muffin it’s delicious , deep orange color, soo good

Cheri

That sounds so good.

This is another solid black tea from Yunnan Sourcing. Because of how much I love the other one, this pales a bit in comparison. This is still really good, I would be more than happy to have more of this – but not sure I want to buy 50g of it. Decent black tea. I liked it.
Thanks Sil for another good one.

agree with you on the comparison of the two!