GenmaiMatcha

Green Matcha Blend
Edit tea info Last updated by Zen Tea

• “Thank you *Zen Tea* for this very nice sample! It is much appreciated. This tea combo of Genmaicha and Matcha is a very nice treat,when looking for something more than the traditional green or...” Read full tasting note
    Pureleaf 130 tasting notes
  • “Thanks to Zen Tea for a sample of this. I have to admit that Genmaicha's are growing on me. They're not bad, and nice and hearty for a green tea. This is definitely one of the better ones that...” Read full tasting note
    forkyfork 166 tasting notes
  • “This was a free sample from Zen Tea Life - thank you! I am exactly in the mood for genmaimatcha right now (I love finally having a variety of teas for just this reason!) I really like this...” Read full tasting note
    BlueKittyMeow 124 tasting notes
  • “Thanks Zen tea for sending me a sample of this one! This was my first matcha! I may be a bad judge of matcha, since I've never had any before. It intrigued me that it was blended with genmaicha...” Read full tasting note
    Tea Sipper 1090 tasting notes

From Zen Tea

Zen tea imports its Japanese green teas directly from Uji in Kyoto. Known for its cultural heritage, it is the birthplace of Japanese tea. Uji tea is harvested and packaged directly at the tea plantations to preserve the flavour and freshness of the tea. Keeping this in mind, we only sell our GenmaiMatcha in its original packaging.

Our Genmai-Matcha is a wonderful blend of Sencha, puffed brown rice, and Matcha. The Matcha powder lightly coats the Sencha leaves and rice, adding a fresh and mellow taste. Due to the rice, this tea has the rich and hearty flavor of roasted grains or coffee but the freshness of Matcha and Sencha. It is very well balanced, full flavored and smooth. In many cases Genmaicha is made from a low grade Sencha, low grade Nibancha (tea from the second harvest of the year) or Sanbancha (tea from the third harvest of the year). Our Genmaicha Matcha-iri is made from only Ichibancha (tea from the first harvest of the year).

Price: $14 / 100g
Origin: Uji, Kyoto, Japan
Harvest: May, 2012
Steep: 1-2 teaspoon, 65C(149F) water, 1.5 min

About Zen Tea View company

Thank you Zen Tea for this very nice sample! It is much appreciated.

This tea combo of Genmaicha and Matcha is a very nice treat,when looking for something more than the traditional green or oolong tea. There are faint toasty notes from the puffed rice (which would satisfy the longing for an oolong:), however there is much more complexity than most teas in this class.

There is a fresher, more fuller taste to the tea than other Sencha grades that are usually coupled in the Genmaicha. Zen Tea’s claim of “made from only Ichibancha (tea from the first harvest of the year)”, seems to hold up to its claim. The brew tastes more like a smoothie of some sort, which may be attributed to the addition of the matcha. Whatever may be the case here, it is really good and stands alone in the Genmaicha category.

You can really taste the green tea, yet with a creaminess and very smooth, non-bitter sip. The quality of the leaves are not disguised behind an extra dose of roasted puffed rice, intended to hide it’s shortcoming. I like the fact that you can evaluate the tea, well – for its leaves.

This tea may not be for everyone, especially if you do not normally like the taste of greener teas – this is certainly a GREEN tea and that’s what you get. If however, you love perfecting the lower water temp to ensure the sweeter, buttery and creamy characteristics of a green tea – don’t pass this one up! You can really play with this one quite a bit. I actually used about twice as much as normal in my gaiwan and shorten the steep time and found great success. Very tasty!

Thanks to Zen Tea for a sample of this.

I have to admit that Genmaicha’s are growing on me. They’re not bad, and nice and hearty for a green tea. This is definitely one of the better ones that I’ve had. You can taste the toasted rice but also the green tea, which is a nice surprise. This is a yummy tea, and while it’s not necessarily something I would drink everyday – it is something that holds up nice to two or three resteeps and is still full of flavor.

Also, this tea is SUPER green. I recommend drinking this out of a white or clear cup so you can really enjoy this color.

CupofTree

Oh that sounds cool I would love to drink some green colored tea!

Babble

Hehe, it’s really green!

Cavocorax

Cool! Maybe I’ll give it a shot. I’ve been impressed with the Zen Tea samples I’ve tried and their prices seem pretty good…

This was a free sample from Zen Tea Life – thank you!
I really like this version of genmaimatcha. It is nicely nutty and the matcha is pretty smooth and fresh in this blend.

Thanks Zen tea for sending me a sample of this one! This was my first matcha! I may be a bad judge of matcha, since I’ve never had any before. It intrigued me that it was blended with genmaicha though, which is a favorite. I waited for the water to cool a while so the matcha wasn’t bitter and steeped for a minute thirty. It’s kind of hard to tell where the genmaicha ends and the matcha begins, since I’m not exactly sure what a matcha should taste like, but this was good! The genmaicha is a delicious base and was dusted with matcha powder to make it an even brighter green. The steep color was a cloudy bright green. The flavor has that toasty roastiness of a perfect genmaicha. I feel like I keep using the same words to describe genmaicha (toast, roast) but are there any others, really? I love the balance with the fresh & clean sencha. I just wish I could tell how good the matcha is compared to others. I wasn’t planning on it, but I infused the leaves for three cups, I loved it so much. The other steeps were for a bit longer, but other than most of the matcha powder disappearing, the genmaicha flavor was still as strong as the first cup. This is three for three with amazing samples from Zentealife.com. I’m looking forward to trying more and will be placing an order when my tea stash is depleted a bit… that may be a while though!

Got that one as the free sample offer from zen tea ( thank for that offer ) i was happy to see green popped rice when i opened the bag the first time i know it’s normal since there is matcha in it but i still find it funny ( sometime it don’t take me much to be amuse lol) i did 3 steep with that tea the flavour goes like this first steep – nearly only matcha taste with a hint of other green taste
Second – still some matcha !(that nice most genmaimatcha are just normal genmaicha at second steep) and a little more stronger toasted taste begin to appear
Third – mostly normal genmaicha at that point ( genmaicha still my favorite tea so that not a bad point)

Definitively a good tea i like the change of taste from the resteep ( diferent cup without having to change the kind of tea )

Will buy that one for sure

When I opened up my package of GenmaiMatcha was excited to see a couple of soft white popped rice kernels- I always see them in photos but never got any before. That was fun. It’s the toasted flavor and aroma of the rice that draws me to genmatcha, so I figured I was in for a real treat. I hate to say that I was disappointed that the rice’s lovely toastiness is muted in Zen Tea’s GenmaiMatcha. Not that this is a bad tea; I suspect that those who like a more subtle influence from the rice would be a fan of this version. My rating is therefore based on my need for a stronger influence from the rice.

My second sample from zentea, yes there is one more i need to review but i need to make time for it!

I once had a genmaicha before from an other company, but never one that had matcha powder added to the mix! Needles to say i’m very curious how it turns out…

When i did open my sample the first thing i notice is that there is alot off rice in this genmaicha, more then my previous genmaicha experience. The senscha looks small but overal with the nice dark green powder over it it looks good for me :)

In my opinion the smell of dry leaf and rice is a bit like popcorn, wish i don’t think is a bad thing!

Did my brewing for 1m30sec like recommended with 70°C water and the brew turns out to be dark green almost fluomarker, so far with the smells and looks off the dry tea time to taste!

Because i never had matcha before i have no clue how it has to taste, but my first sip from the cup tastes sweet, almost like i put a bit off sugar in it but that was not the case because i like my tea’s unsweetend. It tastes like a good bright green tea, with the smell of popcorn! I like this one, tough i’m curious how the tastes holds on when i brew my second and maybe third cup, because i’m thinking that the matcha powder will be almost fully in the first cup…

edit: the second cup tastes alot more like a regular genmaicha, i can still taste a bit off the sweeter matcha but way less now… still the tastes holds on very well!