Sipdown! (25 | 70)

Finishing off my oldest batch of this lovely tea. Happily I still have a truly massive 300g bag that I haven’t opened yet.

This is such a comforting tea for me. It has the cozy roastiness of standard hojicha, but in a softer, lighter form. The gentler flavor makes it perfect for a bedtime brew, though I also enjoy it any time of day. There’s a subtly sweet dried fruitiness as well, that reminds me of golden raisins, dried apricots, and perhaps figs.

Yummy. And insanely inexpensive! Win-win.

Flavors: Apricot, Autumn Leaf Pile, Dried Fruit, Dry Leaves, Fig, Maple Syrup, Raisins, Roasted, Smooth, Sweet

ashmanra

300 grams??!?!? You must LOVE this tea! Ha ha!

ashmanra

(If it inspired a purchase that large, I really must look at their site!)

Cameron B.

Sorry, I misremembered, it’s actually 200g. But I stand by the “truly massive” comment, because it’s a very light tea so the bag is huge ha ha.

Believe it or not, that’s the only size they offer! And it’s only ¥1100, or about $8!

ashmanra

That is still truly massive in my book!

Cameron B.

Same here! I never even buy 100g of a tea unless there’s no other option ha ha.

ashmanra

The price is unbelievable!

Cameron B.

I think it’s because this is essentially the leftover leaves that weren’t used for any other harvest? But yes, it’s very cheap ha ha.

Comments

ashmanra

300 grams??!?!? You must LOVE this tea! Ha ha!

ashmanra

(If it inspired a purchase that large, I really must look at their site!)

ashmanra

That is still truly massive in my book!

Cameron B.

Same here! I never even buy 100g of a tea unless there’s no other option ha ha.

ashmanra

The price is unbelievable!

Cameron B.

Hi, I’m Cameron! I’m a 30-something software engineer currently living in Austin, Texas with my husband and our two pugs, Gobo and Ume. I tend to cycle between my different hobbies, and they include knitting, video games, board games, miniature painting, bento, baking, and – of course – TEA! But really, what I’m best at is collecting hobby-related things… ;)

~ 2022 SIPDOWN CHALLENGE! ~
- September Sipdowns: 21
- Total 2022 Sipdowns: 237

I prefer my tea lukewarm or at room temperature and without milk or sugar. I will often sweeten iced tea. I brew Western style, and fluctuate between using mugs or teapots with small cups depending on the season. Occasionally I’ll brew Gongfu style when I’m in the mood. I’ll also often use a kyusu for Japanese teas.

I am always up for a swap! Just let me know if you’d like to try something in my cupboard.

Tea Preferences:
I enjoy both flavored and unflavored teas in many forms. These days, I drink mostly flavored teas, and I tend to gravitate most toward black, green, oolong, and herbal varieties. I do have a special fondness for straight Japanese green teas, however. I also enjoy maté, rooibos, and honeybush. I love matcha and drink it often! Fruit tisanes are not a favorite, but I’m always willing to try them.

Fruit: All of them! My ‘go-to’s tend to be in the red fruits, stonefruit, or citrus spectra. I also really love apple, banana, berry, fig, lychee, melon, pear, and rhubarb flavors. Tropical fruits aren’t among my favorites, but I still enjoy them once in a while – especially passionfruit, mango, and pineapple. I am not generally a fan of coconut in tea, though there are some exceptions.

Dessert: I love creamy vanilla and marshmallow flavors, along with anything in the caramel family such as butterscotch, toffee, or maple. Chocolate is also a favorite, though I’m often disappointed by it in tea. And don’t forget anything buttery, cakey, or cookie-y!

Floral: I’m a little bit more particular in this category. I very much enjoy jasmine, even strong jasmine, along with sakura and chamomile. Osmanthus is also a favorite of mine. But I’m not crazy about rose or lavender flavors, and I prefer hibiscus in moderation only.

Spices: I don’t generally find myself drawn to masala chai, but I do enjoy spices combined with other flavors. My favorite spices are the warm ones, especially cinnamon, nutmeg, anise, and cardamom. A bit of heat from black pepper or chili is okay too, as long as it’s not overwhelming! Ginger can be a lovely accent, but I find it difficult to drink as a starring flavor.

Aromatics: I’m obsessed with Earl Grey! I also love cooling flavors such as mint (especially spearmint), pine, juniper, and eucalyptus. I am not a fan of strong rosemary or sage in tea.

Favorite Companies:

80-89: Great – a possible staple
70-79: Good, but I wouldn’t buy it
60-69: It’s decent
50-59: Meh… I may or may not have finished the cup
40-49: Ick. Couldn’t finish it.
00-39: Repulsive, I spat it out

I will sometimes refrain from rating a tea if I feel I’m too biased due to my personal dislikes, or if I suspect the sample has been compromised by age or scent contamination.

Cupboard Spreadsheet: