drank Jasmine Pearls by Imperial Tea Court

Song pairing: Darkside — Heart
Ethereal nature of jasmine combined with the cold and rainy front approaching quickly this morning. I better mow the lawn right now.

- – - – - -

I can’t recall what I was drinking or eating. I remember the intoxication, though.

She sat at the table next to me, both of us seeking respite, tucked away in the rear section of the tea house away from the ant-like movement of the tourists throughout the ferry building. I commented on the aroma escaping in wispy fingers from her gaiwan. We made eye contact and I was floored by the beauty that radiated from within her. She wore jasmine in her hair, plucked from somewhere in the city on her way to this quiet moment. In a style of interaction that I realize now will never happen in a post-pandemic timeline, she offered her next pour to me. I put a stranger’s cup to my lips and drank her perfume, supposedly the finest jasmine tea in the world.

Foolish decisions leave lasting impressions.

- – - – - -

I found in the kitchen a large tin of this tea of unknown age; old, that’s for sure (the address on the bag in the tin is for the original Imperial Tea Court location on Powell Street in San Francisco), but it’s still very good. Best western. Very strong jasmine can get chemical tasting if brewed grandpa style.

Flavors: Fruity, Grass, Hay, Jasmine, Nectar, Perfume, Sweet, Thick

Martin Bednář

I did not noticed any chemical tasting while drinking grandpa! I have to prepare it in gaiwan too. Hopefully soon!

derk

I think maybe I just used too much leaf the last time I prepared it grandpa style. For a dozen or so mornings I was giving a teaspoon of pearls the thermos treatment (20 oz, lower temp water, stewing for several hours) and it ended up being a really nice tea to drink throughout the work day with no chemical taste. I dunno.

Martin Bednář

I still have alf you sent me. Keeping it for some nice afternoon.

derk

I’m so glad you enjoy this one! I have only 1 tsp left, else I’d send you more.

Martin Bednář

Don’t worry, your sample was very generous to try it!

Comments

Martin Bednář

Martin Bednář

I still have alf you sent me. Keeping it for some nice afternoon.

derk

I’m so glad you enjoy this one! I have only 1 tsp left, else I’d send you more.

Martin Bednář

Don’t worry, your sample was very generous to try it!

Most enjoyment:

I prefer straight loose-leaf and compressed tea, teabags for ease of use and herbal teas/tisanes. My favorite teas come from all over including China, Taiwan, Nepal, Darjeeling, Thailand, Vietnam, Japan and Georgia. The only one that doesn’t do much for me is Ceylon.

I abandoned my preference reference in early 2020, favoring a focus on qualitative description and because everybody uses a different rating scale. I’m still comfortable toggling the ‘Not/Recommended’ button.

Preference reference:

Some things about me:

Endless curiosity and fascination have led me to wear many hats. Stubbornness and naivety have led me down dark paths. The restlessness isn’t improving with age but at least at 37, I’m finally aware of my nature. I have high physical energy and love being around people but am easily exhausted. My most recent caricature is that of an environmental engineering masters dropout working in retail electrical sales. An impatient woman with a knack for making stupid decisions, a lover of Jesus, science, art, beauty and language who happens to ride a motorcycle and bicycle, dabbles in sax, wields a chainsaw and drinks tea out of tiny pots. They call me “Trouble”.

Sonoma County, California, USA