At this point in time, early 2021, I’m surprised at how young-tasting this still is. The material was pressed from 2015 leaves, so that puts it at about 6 years old. I’ve read other people mentioning notes of diesel/gasoline/kerosene in some young sheng. While I’ve not experienced those notes before, this sheng comes about as close as I can imagine. It’s astringent. It’s boring. The smokiness is toeing the line of cigarette smoke. Nice Bulang leaf and no char in the bottom of the cup, though. If I had more, this for sure would go to the depths of storage. As it is now, it’s a pass. It’s sold as both 150g 357g cakes. Strange. Another meh Menghai.

Also, holy fuuuuug, this is up to $550 for 357g. I read in somebody, somewhere‘s blog that there’s something going on with who can sell Menghai/Dayi. I’ll have to search for it. Maybe that’s why King Tea Mall is selling these cakes for ridiculous prices now.

Here we go: http://www.marshaln.com/2021/01/taobao-price-controls/

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Butter, Earth, Menthol, Plum, Smoke, Vegetal, Zucchini

Mastress Alita

Perhaps the pu you’ve left aging in your car will develop those diesel/gasoline notes. :-)

Haha, you remembered. My truck passed smog last month, so that’s unlikely :P

derk

I cleaned out the cab last week and did find a package of tea that I never mailed to my friend in Ohio…

derk

He proceeded to comment that I have not changed my ways. Something about finding a bloated half gallon of milk and rotten oranges in the back of my Taurus in like 2001.

mrmopar

Dayi is nuts lately. I have been purchasing other teas instead.

Natethesnake

When one can buy 2 cakes of good 20 year old Taiwan stored Yiwu for this price all I have to ask is why?

mrmopar

@Natethesnake, I have stuff not even 1/8 th this price from 03. Changtai, Che Shun Hao, HK style 8582 and some more..

Comments

Mastress Alita

Haha, you remembered. My truck passed smog last month, so that’s unlikely :P

mrmopar

Dayi is nuts lately. I have been purchasing other teas instead.

Natethesnake