drank Salted Caramel by DAVIDsTEA

So, I’m currently watching an episode of Bones (the one that aired last night) called “Carrot in the Kudzu” and while typing the name of this blend into the search bar I typed in “Salted Carrot” and it took me an embarrassingly slow time to figure out why the search results were not yielding the correct type.

Also, my kitchen smells AMAZING; there are brownies going in the over and they just smell so divine! I had a thought while making them, though and I’d like to pose it to people here on Steepster: Do you think you could infuse cooking oil with tea through cold brewing it? And then, how concentrated do you think it would have to be to really affect the flavour of what you’re baking? I was considering making something like an “Earl Grey Brownie” or maybe something more caramel flavoured, like this blend perhaps.

Anyway; short steep time for this blend is key! And thankfully, I nailed it. There’s a lovely “burnt caramel/brown sugar” flavour along with the black tea and none of the massive amounts of bitterness that comes with this blend when you oversteep it. Also no salt – but I’m not complaining on that front.

The little “salt floaties” are maybe a bit annoying though; I can sort of feel their presence in the mouthfeel.

Daddyselephant

I’ve both infused tea in butter and made butter using tea-infused milk. I’ve made earl’s garden scones and such. Try looking up different ways of infusing pot into butter/oil, it’s the same principle. And here’s a link to my scones recipe: http://aislingoftea.wordpress.com/tag/zing-me-scones/

I don’t think you can infuse the flavor with a cold brew, but if you warm the oil and cook it for a bit, it might work?

Comments

Daddyselephant

Hello;

My name is Kelly. I’m a mid twenties tea drinker and reviewer originally from the prairies, but recently relocated to Quebec. I started drinking loose leaf fairly casually about five years ago, and at some point between then and now that ‘fun little hobby’ turned into a serious obsession and career path.

You know you’ve got it bad when you get your hobby tattooed to your arm.

I’m a TAC certified Tea Sommelier!

Typically I drink flavoured blends more than straight but one of my mini goals is to get that ratio to a more 50/50 level. I do a daily cold brew, and have at least (but usually a lot more) two hot cups of tea every day. I love black and white tea, but traditional/straight and also flavoured or blended. I also drink a lot of oolong and shou teas. For my oolong, I prefer greener oolong in flavoured blends and darker or more oxidized oolongs more pure and with traditional preparation. For shou, I gravitate towards straight, unflavoured shou teas (the exception being Chenpi) but I drink it about 50/50 Western Style and Gong Fu. I WILL drink all tea types though.

Least favourite flavour notes/ingredients:
Lemongrass, ginger, strong Chai spice profiles,mushrooms, seaweed, chamomile, artificial tasting mango or peach, stevia, saltiness, or anything that reminds me too much of meat that isn’t supposed to taste like meat…

Currently exploring/looking to try: Sheng from Yiwu, straight teas with strong sweet potato notes, Dancong Oolongs, and compressed black teas. Also, I need to try ALL the root beer teas! Searching for a really good caramel flavoured blend, ideally with a black tea base.

Tea Pet Reference Guide: