Tangerine Cupcake with Marshmallow Frosting Black Tea

Black Teas, Marshmallow Root, Natural Flavours, Tangerine, Vanilla Bean
Cake, Citrus, Malt, Marshmallow, Tangerine, Vanilla, Creamy, Orange, Orange Zest, Drying, Sweet, Tannic, Smooth
High
Organic, Vegan
Edit tea info Last updated by 52Teas

2 Images

• “Twelve Days of Tea 2021 – Day Four What a neat concept (that I didn’t expect to enjoy)! This tea reminds me so much of the fruit cakes found at Maxim’s bakery (ie – a stellar Chinese bakery chain...” Read full tasting note
  • “Sipdown 2-2022 Saying goodbye to this wonderful blend from the holiday countdown. I love the combination of the creamy vanilla, the bright pop of orange, and the depth of the black base.” Read full tasting note
  • “The 4th Tea of Christmas! I love this tea & I was so happy when it won a spot in this year’s box. It’s one of the teas from my first year as the mad tea artist for 52Teas – so I’m so happy that...” Read full tasting note
  • “52Teas 12 Teas of Christmas: Day 4! I don’t know what kind of olfactory alchemy is at play here, but goodness—every tea in the holiday box has smelled incredible! They also manage to avoid...” Read full tasting note

From 52teas

Way back – it’s been over a year now! – during the start-up Kickstarter campaign, I promised my customers a Tangerine Pound cake with Marshmallow Frosting Tea. Well, this tea started out to be that tea. But then as I was starting to formulate the recipe for this tea, I decided that I’d rather go with the idea of a tangerine cupcake rather than a tangerine pound cake, mostly because when it comes to pound cake, it’s all about the butter. I thought that the marshmallow and the butter would compete with each other. So maybe I’ll do a pound cake another time – but for now, I wanted a cupcake with marshmallow frosting. A Tangerine Cupcake with Marshmallow Frosting!

I started with my organic black tea base of teas from India and China and then I added marshmallow root and dried tangerine segments, some vanilla bean and some natural flavors to create this yummy, dessert-y tea. The tangerine is bright and juicy and the marshmallow and vanilla add a really nice creamy element to the cup. A really yummy spring-time treat!

organic ingredients: black teas, dried tangerine segments, marshmallow root, vanilla bean and all-natural flavors.

About 52teas View company

Twelve Days of Tea 2021 – Day Four

What a neat concept (that I didn’t expect to enjoy)! This tea reminds me so much of the fruit cakes found at Maxim’s bakery (ie – a stellar Chinese bakery chain around here that often uses Tangerine as a topping decoration .. and I wish I had some, or their buns, to pair with this tea).

This is a far less cloying take on the dessert/cupcake concept, and I’m appreciating the combo of clean citrus and richer dessert notes more than I can convey right now (ditto for this whole 12 days box; I don’t remember ever enjoying the teas so much in past years). The black tea base is solid too. Good tea!

My mom rates this 11/10 and stole my cup. You’ve had 52teas before, Mom! D:

Flavors: Cake, Citrus, Malt, Marshmallow, Tangerine, Vanilla

Sipdown 2-2022

Flavors: Creamy, Orange, Orange Zest, Vanilla

The 4th Tea of Christmas! I love this tea & I was so happy when it won a spot in this year’s box. It’s one of the teas from my first year as the mad tea artist for 52Teas – so I’m so happy that it’s back!

I am enjoying the combination of rich, satisfying black teas with the bright, sweet tangerine & the fluffy creaminess of the marshmallow. It all melds together very nicely in one sip.

Just a note for those of you keeping track of the teas that you’ll want to order from the 12 Teas of Christmas box, these teas will be put on the website on the 28th of December. For those of you who ordered the box, you get first dibs & can email me/DM me between December 25 – 28.

Flavors: Cake, Citrus, Malt, Marshmallow, Tangerine

52Teas 12 Teas of Christmas: Day 4!

I don’t know what kind of olfactory alchemy is at play here, but goodness—every tea in the holiday box has smelled incredible! They also manage to avoid perfume-y artificiality, which is quite a feat.

This one reminds me of a creamsicle… a very welcome reminder indeed. Brewed up, it’s got a lovely creamy mouthfeel that I can just about convince myself is reminiscent of marshmallows. I’m not quite sure whether I’m getting tangerine rather than a more generic orange, but regardless, it’s lovely.

This one definitely benefits from a few minutes of cooling before taking a sip. I thought I had over-steeped it because I wasn’t getting much flavor at first, but now that it’s cooled just a bit, it’s quite lovely and rich. I just love flavorful black tea blends, and this is a new favorite. So delightfully cozy!

Flavors: Citrus, Drying, Marshmallow, Orange, Sweet, Tangerine, Vanilla

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
52Teas

cool time is definitely key in my teas. :)

Kelmishka

Good to know!

52Teas

Let it cool for at least 5 minutes, black teas – 10 minutes – this will allow the flavors to develop.

My brain keeps waffling between two flavours here: an orange creamsicle and Terry’s chocolate orange. I don’t like orange creamsicles and I love Terry’s chocolate oranges. One sip I’m all about this tea and the next I’m feeling kinda meh. Brain games, yay!

So. Orange (not specifically tangerine, but that’s okay) and marshmallow, they’re both there, which is some kind of sorcery in itself. I’m not completely sold on the cupcake, but the density of the black tea base lends the claim credibility.

Overall, this is a pretty good blend. It’s a great blend half the time—when my brain perceives it as Terry’s chocolate orange.

Flavors: Marshmallow, Orange

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 3 g 12 OZ / 354 ML
ashmanra

I treated myself to two “slices” of a Terry’s Chocolate Orange after lunch. My excuse for this decadent behavior was that I had tea left and needed something with it. Now I have chocolate orange left and should really make more tea…

Nik

Mmmmm. I went vegan a few years ago (and don’t like dark chocolate); that’s one of the treats I really miss!

ashmanra

I haven’t tried the dark chocolate one yet! This is my first chocolate orange ever, in spite of having seen them around for years. I just didn’t know how much I would like it. I do have the dark chocolate one on the shopping list now to try.

Adventaggedon Day 16: Tea 4/8

Hype! Hype! Hype!

This is one of the teas that I voted for so I was so thrilled to see it this morning, and then when I cracked open the bag for the first time I just melted inside! I enjoyed it a lot the first time around but I just felt like I didn’t get nearly enough of it, and this time around the aroma is even better than I remembered! It’s a sweet almost creamsicle style of bright orange married with a gooey toasted marshmallow note that reminds me of the Toasted Marshmallow flavoured Jelly Belly jellybeans. Mmm!

Steeped up I am in heaven right now! It’s the perfect amount of body from the black tea base mixed with an initial top note of bright orange and then this creamy dreamy marshmallow and vanilla combination that is very dead on for what the dry leaf aroma was giving off. It’s got the light fluffyness of a marshmallow or whipped cupcake frosting but still has those caramelized sugar notes from a toasted marshmallow and it’s not thin either!

Definitely one of those teas that feels like a lot to convey based on the name, but Anne does it! So fucking yummy!

As a side note – our office holiday party was this afternoon and as part of it we did a spice workshop which was so incredibly fun and educational and ordered in some super fancy mini donuts! I noticed that one of the donuts was an orange glazed with a mini cupcake on top and it just felt waaayyyy too perfectly time since this was the tea I ended the day on. What a spectacular complimenting treat!

AJRimmer

Aw that’s so awesome! Ha I’ve never voted for one that ended up making it in, but maybe one day!

CrowKettle

I’ve never picked “winners” either, but it’s all good. Tasty teas are still tasty :)

Mastress Alita

I threw Pear Chai into the hat this year, honestly surprised it made it in!

I’m tasting citrus but not necessarily tangerine.

Flavors: Citrus, Drying, Tannic

This reemerged during the great teabox upheaval. Lovely cup. It’s all very subtle, but terrific, regardless.

Oddly enough, with this glorious cup of goodness, the marshmallow cream introduced itself with a nice surrounding black tea base in the very first sip and the tangerine citrus presented in the after sip. Perhaps my experience with this tea is a bit different than my first review of it because I added the slightest smidge more leaf and steeped today just a bit longer than I usually do. So, I don’t know whether this particular base is more finicky than 52teas usual lovely black base blends, or the stars need to align themselves for me to have a perfect cup of this. Today’s cup was pretty close to perfect. I have a couple more spoons of leaf, so the experiment continues.

Fjellrev

Yay for a perfect cup! It does sound promising base on its name.

Plunkybug

I definitely need to check 52Teas out again soon. So many lovely sounding blends on my steepster screen.

Happy New Year Everyone!

I wanted to have an easy session today, so I went the way of western style tea brewing. I threw some of this in the tea infuser, boiled the water to 195 F, and allowed the tea to steep for 3 minutes.

Real simple.

Notes: The black tea base jumps forward immediately upon drinking; fortunately, it’s smooth and mellow. I’ve a tendency to be skeptical with black tea/black tea blends due the majority of them having bitter notes, and unsuitable to my palate. There is a subtle note of tangerine in this blend, but that’s all I’m tasting—black tea base & tangerine. Maybe this tea needs a little something-something (cough sugar cough) to bring the other notes out, but I don’t work like that, so the world may never know!

PS. Have a wonderful year everyone! I’ll hopefully have more reviews up & look forward to reading your tea adventures in 2017!

Flavors: Citrus, Smooth