Alcohol, Cherry, Chocolate, Cake, Dark Chocolate
Edit tea info Last updated by amandastory516
Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 10 oz / 295 ml

From August Uncommon Tea

Rich and luxurious from the start, the aroma of warm chocolate cake emerging from the oven fills your nose. Close your eyes to imagine the warm wooden, gilded interior of a café in Turn-of-the-Century Vienna. On its own, this tea is a strong, malty black tea with hints of cherry weaves around the layers of dark chocolate. A touch of milk softens the tannins and brings out the fruity sweetness of cherry. An excellent choice for breakfast or afternoon with cake, or anytime you need a chocolate fix. A tea for chocolate lovers and black forest cake fans.

About August Uncommon Tea View company

This was my first tea of the morning!

The dry leaf of this smells amazing; very dark and boozy with truffle-y chocolate notes and a sweet, condensed cherry note. It’s super familiar, but a little hard to place. Maybe like Cherry Garcia icecream if the chocolate was much more intense!? It’s heavenly, though!

Steeped, this is a touch different than the dry leaf smell but still incredible! Rich and chocolate heavy, and channeling a dark chocoolate vibe for sure. It’s got the slightest bit of pleasant bitterness, like a nice high quality chocolate. The cherry is dark and syrupy, and reminded me of the cherry flavoured “syrup” in those cherry filled chocolates that you sometimes see around Valentine’s Day. It’s pretty boozy too though, so maybe like one of those dark chocolate cherry filled truffle things but mixed with some type of spirit.

I also taste a faint roasty/malty type of barley note, similar to what I got in AU’s coffee blend (the name of it is escaping me at the moment). It throws me out of the experience a little bit – it’s nice with the chocolate but kind of weird with the cherry. This flavour, along with a general sticky sweetness, lingers after each sip and it’s a strong motivator to keep drinking because I kind of want to wash it from my mouth.

Overall, it’s a nice blend though and probably one of the better chocolate/cherry blends I’ve had. I really like that there’s no reliance of hibiscus here to push the cherry element. Major kudos for that.

tea-sipper

They DO have cherry truffles with alcohol…

So after some initial pondering (Do I even like flavored teas anymore? What’s happening to my taste buds?), I decided that there is room in my life for both flavored and unflavored blacks – which brings me pretty much full circle. I needed a dessert-like tea after dinner last night so I chose Cabaret.

It tasted like chocolate cake with boozy cherry filling. It’s really good, and definitely hits the sweet spot for a sugar addict like me who’s trying to cut down on the thing she loves most for health reasons. August has some very tasty flavors, and this one is no exception. The only thing I don’t find so great is the booziness of the fruit notes. I had a similar issue with Breathless, where the brandy flavored prune flavor was a bit off. I solved that by making it iced, and that seemed to cut down on the strange tangy flavor. This one, however, I don’t see as an iced tea, so I’ll try to cut down on the leaf to see if that helps. August seems to always want you to use lots of leaf per serving – maybe they really want the flavor to be very intense, or maybe they just want you to go through the tea faster so you can order more – not sure. I don’t mind cutting down on the amount just a little to see if I can still get my chocolate fix without such a strong alcohol flavor. Other than that, the chocolate + cherry flavor is a winner for me.

Flavors: Alcohol, Cherry, Chocolate

Boiling 4 min, 0 sec 3 tsp 10 OZ / 295 ML

This seems to be a new offering from August Uncommon, and one that I added to my most recent order of holiday gifts. When I first sipped this, I didn’t think I liked it. There was a bitterness to the dark chocolate that wasn’t pleasant. But, as it cooled, it really began to taste like a chocolate cherry cake right out of the oven. August Uncommon has done it again.

Flavors: Cake, Cherry, Dark Chocolate