Great British Cuppa

Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Yunnan Black Tea
Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Citrus, Lemon, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Smooth, Brown Sugar, Caramel, Sweet Potatoes, Astringent, Burnt Sugar, Earth
Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Kittenna

• “I’ve had this tea several times prepared in many different ways and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer it prepared under leafed and at lower temperatures. The description describes it as...” Read full tasting note
  • “A bit of a different-tasting (to me) English breakfast tea, but I enjoyed it. Might be a little heavier on indian blacks than is my taste preference? But I’ve waited too long to write this review...” Read full tasting note
  • “Holiday Tea-son! The fifth tea from my advent calendar, which I’ve been saving for the Doctor Who season finale today! Breakfast blends that include some Chinese black to them tend to be my...” Read full tasting note
  • “Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 5 This will probably be the only unflavored tea in the calendar. I’ve tried this one previously and enjoyed it, so I was happy to see it inside the...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Bird & Blend’s House Blend – The classic English Breakfast tea

We’ve been around the world in 80 teas with this one! On a mission to get our nation of tea lovers, THE BEST cuppa. Good news… Mission accomplished! Fantastic with your fry up, perfect with a Paddington (marmalade on toast, obviously!) The Great British Cuppa is right here!

Indian Assam black tea, Ceylon black tea, Chinese Yunnan tea

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I’ve had this tea several times prepared in many different ways and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer it prepared under leafed and at lower temperatures. The description describes it as a great accompaniment to an English Fry up and I have to agree, this tea like some wines really is a tea that goes best with some food preferably rich slightly fatty ones. It is probably a tea that would take milk well.

When I first had this tea I brewed it at boiling for around 4 minutes. The resulting brew smelled of lemon, sweet potatoes, roasted, blackened potatoes, hint of artichoke, spice, and a hint of malt. The brewed tea had a full, thick, mouth feel with a mild to moderate astringency. It tasted of malt mixed with a vegetal note and sweet potatoes, anchoring a citrus mixed with bitter cocoa top note. This is not a particularly sweet tea but more a mix of bitter tones and citrus. A little rugged, this is a tea that would probably do well with additions. With its citrus top notes and it’s coffee like bitter notes I could see how it could compliment a fry up. The tea re-steeped well with the second steep bringing out more cocoa and hints of honey notes.
When steeped at a lower temperature and with less leaf cherry and sweet potato notes are more prominent and the tea has less vegetal notes and lemon, but the other notes and rugged texture remain. The tea remained
moderately astringent. Although this is not my favourite black tea blend, it does have an interesting and varied flavour profile and I am glad that I had the chance to try it.

CHAroma

Wow, that is a lot of flavors in one cup!

A bit of a different-tasting (to me) English breakfast tea, but I enjoyed it. Might be a little heavier on indian blacks than is my taste preference? But I’ve waited too long to write this review and no longer actually remember my thoughts on it.

Breakfast blends that include some Chinese black to them tend to be my favorites, and the aroma of this brewed up is quite pleasing; it’s malty, with some molasses and cinnamon bread notes, and just a hint of citrus wafting from the cup. The taste is quite good too, producing a cup that, with my typical brew parameters, is quite smooth, without the bitterness or strong astringent qualities of some breakfast teas that cause me to have to add some honey. These are the kind of breakfast blends I prefer, since I like to use a brisk steep and not add milk or sweetener. The tea has a malty, warm baked bread flavor, with some notes of raisin, a subtle cinnamon spice, a touch of lemon citrus, and some sweet molasses. It’s a very nice black blend and probably one of my favorites as far as breakfast blends go.

Flavors: Baked Bread, Cinnamon, Citrus, Lemon, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Smooth

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 5

This will probably be the only unflavored tea in the calendar. I’ve tried this one previously and enjoyed it, so I was happy to see it inside the little door for today. This particular breakfast blend is a mix of Assam, Ceylon, and Yunnan black teas (in that order). I steeped it for my usual 3 minutes at 200°F.

It’s quite well-balanced and yummy. It’s not super strong (as some breakfast blends can be), but it does have plenty of flavor. I can taste the briskness, malt, and raisin notes that I associate with Assam. There’s also some dark baked bread, earth, and sweet potato representing the Yunnan element. To be honest, I’m not sure I recall exactly what Ceylon black tea tastes like. I did at one point explore Ceylon teas a bit, and try several of them, but that was multiple years ago… There are also some dark brown and burnt sugar notes here rounding out the bottom.

Very tasty and balanced. I definitely get the Assam and Yunnan presence, and am rather ignorant regarding Ceylon so it’s likely there too!

This just makes me more excited for my Andrews & Dunham 3-Pack that is set to arrive on Friday… ❤

Flavors: Astringent, Baked Bread, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Malt, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I received a free teabag of this one with my last Bluebird order. I forgot it was here. I had it in with the little Bluebird box a few smaller teas came in. So any black tea blend that Bluebird sells better stack up to their awesome flavored blends they come up with. It can’t be just a boring black tea! And it isn’t… this is mighty tasty. It’s a mix of Ceylon, Yunnan and Assam. I could probably leave the Ceylon out altogether, but the blend tastes delicious as is. I wish this was the base that Bluebird used in their flavored blends, but then it might distract from the flavors they are going for. This cup resulted in the perfect amount of briskness and strength. (I tend to find their black tea blends have a much weaker tasting base that I could swear is Bluebird’s only flaw!)

Once steeped the tea took on a deep brown colour (before milk was added) and it bares a rich, sweet malt scent.

First few sips reveal a dark, dry, malt and wood base with a soft hint of smoke. Slightly bitter and stronger than I initially expected.

The strength continues to impress on a British standard though I would like a little more flavour and depth in it. Though It’s easy to drink and warming on this cold eve.

As my morning cup was so bitter, and as it looks to be a long day ahead of me, I thought I’d brew this sample sachet up, and see how it does.
Decent, is what I think. Not, perhaps, “great” as it claims, but a solid, dependable sort of brew.
I suspect that this would indeed pair well with a hearty British style breakfast. Alas, I have no English fry up with me, so I’ll just have to enjoy on its own.

I think this is my new “Monday morning” cuppa. It’s a very dependable blend when I need a pick me up after restless nights.

I’m sure I’ve written more than one note for this one, but never mind. This one was the second tea that accompanied me to work this morning, and it’s always a solid choice. I really like the combination of sweet maltiness and roasted white potato that I get from this one, even though it sounds odd. There aren’t many “breakfast” style blends that really stand out to me, but this is a shining example. Good thing I have a huge tin!

This is a pretty tasty traditional cup of english breakfast right here. I had to drink it the way my mum and dad always taught me to drink tea when I was itty bitty, at breakfast time with milk and sugar and accompanied with crumpets and strawberry jam… ohmigod… talk about a blast from the past!!! Definitely a solid example of a good english breakfast!