Great British Cuppa

Astringent, Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Potato, Roasted, Bread, Brown Sugar, Lemon, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes, Cinnamon, Molasses, Smooth, Dates, Honey, Caramel, Burnt Sugar, Earth
Bulk, Loose Leaf, Sachet
High
Edit tea info Last updated by Cameron B.

3 Images

• “I’ve had this tea several times prepared in many different ways and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer it prepared under leafed and at lower temperatures. The description describes it as...” Read full tasting note
  • “Got a sample of this in an order. Steeped it up and whoa that’s a strong tannic cup! I wanted to mellow it out a little with some creamer, but just got a new creamer to try which kinda took over...” Read full tasting note
  • “A solid blend of good quality teas. I can sense maltiness, roasted potatoes, slight astringency, slight bitter notes, a bit of grapefruit peel essential oils. For those who want more than just a...” Read full tasting note
  • “This tea bag sample was provided by Bird & Blend. Thank you! It may not be particularly fancy or high quality, but sometimes a traditional British black tea blend is just the thing. Its malty...” Read full tasting note

From Bird & Blend Tea Co.

Our house English Breakfast blend – a true classic. This balanced blend of whole black tea leaves is just as great without milk as with. If you’re looking for a light & refreshing brew as the perfect accompaniment to your cake or your English Muffin, Great British Cuppa is for you!

Ingredients: Indian Assam Black Tea, Ceylon Black Tea, Chinese Yunnan Tea

About Bird & Blend Tea Co. View company

I’ve had this tea several times prepared in many different ways and I have come to the conclusion that I prefer it prepared under leafed and at lower temperatures. The description describes it as a great accompaniment to an English Fry up and I have to agree, this tea like some wines really is a tea that goes best with some food preferably rich slightly fatty ones. It is probably a tea that would take milk well.

When I first had this tea I brewed it at boiling for around 4 minutes. The resulting brew smelled of lemon, sweet potatoes, roasted, blackened potatoes, hint of artichoke, spice, and a hint of malt. The brewed tea had a full, thick, mouth feel with a mild to moderate astringency. It tasted of malt mixed with a vegetal note and sweet potatoes, anchoring a citrus mixed with bitter cocoa top note. This is not a particularly sweet tea but more a mix of bitter tones and citrus. A little rugged, this is a tea that would probably do well with additions. With its citrus top notes and it’s coffee like bitter notes I could see how it could compliment a fry up. The tea re-steeped well with the second steep bringing out more cocoa and hints of honey notes.
When steeped at a lower temperature and with less leaf cherry and sweet potato notes are more prominent and the tea has less vegetal notes and lemon, but the other notes and rugged texture remain. The tea remained
moderately astringent. Although this is not my favourite black tea blend, it does have an interesting and varied flavour profile and I am glad that I had the chance to try it.

CHAroma

Wow, that is a lot of flavors in one cup!

Got a sample of this in an order. Steeped it up and whoa that’s a strong tannic cup! I wanted to mellow it out a little with some creamer, but just got a new creamer to try which kinda took over the cup. I can still taste a little of the tea at the end of the sip. I feel like most creamers are meant for the dominating flavors of coffee and kill the delicacy of tea. :/ Anyways, this cup isn’t a fair assessment of this tea, but I’m not feeling like there was something extra amazing I missed out on.

For those who want more than just a casual blend of black teas.

Flavors: Astringent, Bitter, Citrus, Malt, Potato, Roasted

Boiling 3 min, 0 sec 4 g 10 OZ / 300 ML
Mastress Alita

I really like this one. One of my favorite “traditional breakfast blend” type of teas.

This tea bag sample was provided by Bird & Blend. Thank you!

It may not be particularly fancy or high quality, but sometimes a traditional British black tea blend is just the thing. Its malty profile takes so lovingly to milk, and even sugar if that’s your fancy.

This one is quite nice in that is has the raisin notes from Assam, sweet potato from Yunnan, and bright citrus from Ceylon. Grain notes in the form of malt, malt residue syrup, and baked bread have filled out nicely in my milk cup. Not sure how this one would fly without milk though!

I’d 10/10 serve this to my father and older sister. This is their style of tea to a “T”. Sadly, for them, I usually don’t stock up on Breakfast Blends.

Rating: 76 – English tea grannies would be pleased.

Flavors: Bread, Brown Sugar, Lemon, Malt, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

200 °F / 93 °C 5 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

Sipdown (932)!

The other free sample from my most recent Bird & Blend order – can’t recall if I’ve had this one before. I definitely over steeped it a little bit, but I thought the flavour was pretty nice. Tannic and full bodied/strong, with more of baked bread/grains and autumnal leaf kind of vibe. Lacked some sweetness, but milk and sugar would definitely fix that right up.

A bit of a different-tasting (to me) English breakfast tea, but I enjoyed it. Might be a little heavier on indian blacks than is my taste preference? But I’ve waited too long to write this review and no longer actually remember my thoughts on it.

I’ve been drinking pretty much exclusively cold brew tea (summer heat, UGH) but when I woke up this morning, I found myself craving a more traditional warm breakfast cuppa before the oven outside has preheated too much. So I pulled out this classic breakfast tea and a box of Walker’s shortbread for breakfast. Using for the July prompt, “A tea paired with a biscuit/cookie.”

Classic breakfast tea flavor that is smooth enough to drink plain. Beautiful red color with an aroma of honeyed dates, cinnamon, and a hint of citrus. Malt for days with baked cinnamon raisin bread, lemon, and a sweet honey-leaning-on-molasses sweetness.

One of my favorite breakfast blends.

Flavors: Bread, Cinnamon, Citrus, Dates, Honey, Lemon, Malt, Molasses, Raisins, Smooth

205 °F / 96 °C 3 min, 0 sec 2 g 12 OZ / 350 ML

Bird & Blend Tea Advent Calendar – Day 5

This will probably be the only unflavored tea in the calendar. I’ve tried this one previously and enjoyed it, so I was happy to see it inside the little door for today. This particular breakfast blend is a mix of Assam, Ceylon, and Yunnan black teas (in that order). I steeped it for my usual 3 minutes at 200°F.

It’s quite well-balanced and yummy. It’s not super strong (as some breakfast blends can be), but it does have plenty of flavor. I can taste the briskness, malt, and raisin notes that I associate with Assam. There’s also some dark baked bread, earth, and sweet potato representing the Yunnan element. To be honest, I’m not sure I recall exactly what Ceylon black tea tastes like. I did at one point explore Ceylon teas a bit, and try several of them, but that was multiple years ago… There are also some dark brown and burnt sugar notes here rounding out the bottom.

Very tasty and balanced. I definitely get the Assam and Yunnan presence, and am rather ignorant regarding Ceylon so it’s likely there too!

This just makes me more excited for my Andrews & Dunham 3-Pack that is set to arrive on Friday… ❤

Flavors: Astringent, Bread, Brown Sugar, Burnt Sugar, Earth, Malt, Raisins, Sweet Potatoes

200 °F / 93 °C 3 min, 0 sec 12 OZ / 354 ML

I received a free teabag of this one with my last Bluebird order. I forgot it was here. I had it in with the little Bluebird box a few smaller teas came in. So any black tea blend that Bluebird sells better stack up to their awesome flavored blends they come up with. It can’t be just a boring black tea! And it isn’t… this is mighty tasty. It’s a mix of Ceylon, Yunnan and Assam. I could probably leave the Ceylon out altogether, but the blend tastes delicious as is. I wish this was the base that Bluebird used in their flavored blends, but then it might distract from the flavors they are going for. This cup resulted in the perfect amount of briskness and strength. (I tend to find their black tea blends have a much weaker tasting base that I could swear is Bluebird’s only flaw!)

Once steeped the tea took on a deep brown colour (before milk was added) and it bares a rich, sweet malt scent.

First few sips reveal a dark, dry, malt and wood base with a soft hint of smoke. Slightly bitter and stronger than I initially expected.

The strength continues to impress on a British standard though I would like a little more flavour and depth in it. Though It’s easy to drink and warming on this cold eve.